Speed Boats on the Trent

I have a vague memory from my early days (probably around mid 1950's) of watching speed boat racing on the Trent.

This took place along the area adjacent to Victoria Embankment between the foot bridge next to the memorial and Trent bridge.

They seemed to be small but very powerful. The course was an oval shape and the boats would race around floating oil drums.

Can anyone remember this and advise approx what year it took place, also why did it come to an end?

Smiffy

Used to see the Trent Powerboat and Sailing Club perform quite regularly near Stoke Bardolph and Gunthorpe, but haven't seen them out and about for a long time.

Perhaps the H&S brigade have clamped down on them having a bit of fun.

I seem to remember Steve Spray using a speed boat and water ski's on the Trent at Gunthorpe a number of years back but I believe they have imposed speed restrictions now

In the late 50s, they used to have the powerboats racing on the river downstream from Trent Bridge, after that old steel railway bridge and the mouth of the Grantham Canal; in the vicinity of the old Boots Sport Fields and where the old Co-op Bakery used to be.

Visiting my Grans at a weekend and when the races were on, you could hear them quite clearly at her house in Holme Road.....like a swarm of angry bees. Saw the races a couple of times.

The time frame is correct as well as I and a mate met a couple of girls from ACHS who lived in WB and were walking across the fields across from Grans house to the river.

I could not imagine speedboat racing in front of the Embankment back in those days (unless they closed the river off) as you could hire row boats and on a fine weekend, the boats were out in their scores with families etc being rowed by Dad or young ladies by their hopeful dates.

Looking at Google, The Nottinghamshire Sports Club seems to cover most of the ground now along the river bank where I remember the races took place..

I remember speed boat races on the Trent, They were held on Sunday afternoons between the sea scouts base and the sailing club. As Trevor says, they could be heard in Lady Bay, and I would suppose in Colwick and Netherfield as well.

I would often go down Trent Fields to watch them, they would get within a couple of feet of the bank, although I never saw one crash into it, sometimes one would capsize on the 180 degree turns.

In the 80's I used to ski regularly at Hazelford up stream of the pub, a mate was a member of the Trent power boat and ski club there.

He was really into it in a big way and imported a huge new ski boat from the states at the time, his daughter went on to become very competitive and is now a national and international water skier and wake boarder.

Thanks for all your posts & pictures, wonderful stuff. I can see those little boats now and remember the sound too.

Maybe it was the suspension bridge side of the river, near where Rivermead is now?

I do remember the rowing boats with their lattice backed seats, also the pleasure cruiser.

Passing under the railway bridge near Forest's ground there was always a strange pungent odour of "something" not sure what it was??

Probably Colwick cheese smiffy, that had rather a strange odour.

Thanks Albert, thats upstream of location in OP, west of 'Spenno' bridge in front of the bandstand.

Your pictures are fine already resized by Photobucket.

i too remember watching the speed boat at stoke ferry during the fifties and earlie sixties

I can remember speed boat races near the racecourse , the used to launch from the slipway next to Colwick hall ,this is also where the timeing Marshalls were ,this was in the late 50's early 60's in those days you could walk from the railway bridge on Colwick Rd on a tarmac road that crossed the racecourse at the time I think it was it was the only way to get to Colwick Hall .

That fits in with my recollections, Bob and would place the course (when I knew it) on that straight stretch of river between Trent Lane and the racecourse - some 600 metres.

Thanks again for all of these posts, it does confirm that all parts of the river were used at sometime for this activity.

I thought maybe that my memory had been playing tricks with the location and I had imagined this as being on the embankment, but the first picture in #3 shows the bandstand near the suspension bridge in the background.

Mentioning the bandstand I can also now recall watching a variety of live pop groups on the stage there, was it Fridays & Saturdays?

Smiffy

More recently I remember when they started holding World or European Powerboat championship rounds at Holme Pierrepont. They were charging for entry ( a not small sum as I remember) but found they couldn't charge people who were walking along the public right of way along the Trent. All you had to do was declare you were out for a walk rather than going to the event and they let you through.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

my boss Vernon Hollbrooke used to race outside the ferry boat at stoke in the fifties they were ford 10hp boats with direct drive to the prop The races were handicap races and the chap I was learning the motor trade from also raced them The buoys were inflated sort of balloons chained to the river bed it was ok until one of the large oil tanker barges went past then mayhem with the waves I had to stand on a small side deck take off the cowling and refuel from a conical petrol can couldn't swim a stroke terrifying I don't know when it all finished meeowed

Thanks for all your posts & pictures, wonderful stuff. I can see those little boats now and remember the sound too.

Maybe it was the suspension bridge side of the river, near where Rivermead is now?

I do remember the rowing boats with their lattice backed seats, also the pleasure cruiser.

Passing under the railway bridge near Forest's ground there was always a strange pungent odour of "something" not sure what it was??

Hi those little boats were called Hydro Foils and yes I remember them around 1954/1955 very fast and great fun to watch.

• Upvote 2
  • 8 months later...