Valentine prezzie.

This year we have agreed to not get anything for each other......we are going out to Lincoln for the day shopping (for me of course slywink) and then out to lunch

• Upvote 4

The best Valentine's Day present I've ever had was a few years ago. The day before Valentine's Day my wife told me that she was taking me for a surprise day out. The next morning we got into the car, with me wondering where she was taking me. She drove me to the airport and whenever I asked her where we were going all she would say was "You'll see."

It was in the airport that I realised we were going to Venice. It was a place I'd not been to before and, after our day out, it's a place I would recommend to anyone. We went to many places which included St. Marks Square, a romantic trip down the Grand Canal in a gondola and a visit to a place to see the glass-blowing. When my wife arranged the trip, she hadn't known that on the same day we were there it was the 'Carnival Of Venice' which is famous for the men and women wearing masks and dressing up. After we'd had lunch we spent a couple of hours just looking at the spectacle. That evening we flew home after a fantastic day out, the best Valentine's day present I've had, before or since. Below is a photo that gives you some idea of the 'Carnival Of Venice'.

Maschere_carnevale_venezia.JPG

• Upvote 5

You certainly managed to fit a lot into your day trip Michael, sounded great though. Kind of reminded me of Marty Feldman's sketch when he went on a coach trip and was forever being left behind, he was chasing the coach shouting 'Wait for me, wait for me'. Don't suppose anyone else can remember that but it tickled me at the time ....... many years ago.

• Upvote 1

Lucky man ! I can echo what a great place Venice is Michael . We had a few days there via a cheap Ryanair flight a few years ago and really enjoyed it .

Every turning and every alleyway was a fabulous vista , even if it was marvelling at the colours of the crumbling brickwork or an old door !

In many places were marks on the buildings showing the different depths of the floods in different years .

Walking around through narrow alleys back to our hotel at night , we never felt threatened . I also remember we went to watch a jazz trio in a bar and my brother who would always carry his trombone mouthpiece with him , did a jam session that went down quite well with the punters .

• Upvote 1

I'm still lookin' fer a sweetheart to buy a pressie for. Tsk!

Sad innit? 67 an all alone, in bad 'ealth, short, podgy, no social skills, uneducated, bald, bad 'earin', rather ugly, and even the cats ran away.

Good job I've got me sense of tumour... I mean humour.

Hehehe!

TTFN all,

• Upvote 2

I'm still lookin' fer a sweetheart to buy a pressie for. Tsk!

Sad innit? 67 an all alone, in bad 'ealth, short, podgy, no social skills, uneducated, bald, bad 'earin', rather ugly, and even the cats ran away.

Good job I've got me sense of tumour... I mean humour.

Hehehe!

TTFN all,

But Gerry, what you didn't mention was that you have a heart of gold, and you care about other people.

A superb quality you have.

• Upvote 1

Ayup Firbeck, I was due to see my best mate of 52 years off on Tuesday this week, but due to other reasons I was unable to go, so sent the missus & kids instead.

Still kicking myself.

Hi Catfan, long time no communicate, what happened about that bloody incinerator, you must pm me.

Strangely enough, the best funeral I've ever been to, a perfect balance, emotional, yes, but funny too. I also met old friends from many years ago and some interesting people in the pub afterwards including a bloke from Bolton who had known Fred Dibnah and only the day before had spotted his unique, elusive Land Rover parked on a drive near his house.

The weather was atrocious, my pal from Dereham dropped me off back home and Lizzie insisted he stayed the night but he wouldn't and drove back through the storm, nutter!.

Lizzie meanwhile had prepared a delicious meal and got me a chocolate rose and my favourite Galaxy chocolate delights, hard for her as she's on a diet, I did the predictable and got a bowl of daffodils, but she loves spring flowers.

I noticed the line of blokes qeueing up in the supermarket at the last minute with smarmy, insincere cards and bunches of roses, squirming with embarrassment/guilt?

i tell the wife i love her every day and buy her flowers from time to time,but never on Valentnes day,i always thought it was a day to get cards etc from a secret admirer much more exciting,consequently its been about 50 years since i got one :yowza::angry2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

In my experience in commercial refrigeration - most places are infested with something or other.  One day  went to a place and moved the fridge to see what the problem was - it was cockroaches.....thousands of them!