PJ Proby at Mapperley Plains in April

Just ordered some tickets.

From what Harry, the organiser, tells me, it will be a good evening. They've got people coming from all over Europe to see him - Sweden, Germany, Holland, as well as from all parts of the UK (and now Arnold!). He reckons that It will be the biggest event they've had at Mapperley Social Club (Gedling Miners Welfare as-was).

And apparently, PJ still does the pants-splitting, although now it's a pair of shorts worn over his trousers (thankfully!).

Always thought he had a brilliant voice. On a par with Elvis. I couldn't abide Elvis, thought he was an oily mammas boy

• 1 month later...

Boing!

Just got back from seeing him perform at Mapperley Social Club.

For a bloke in his mid 70s, that was one great gig. He was on stage for over two hours and not only did his own hits, but included songs which finished up being done by others, including the likes of Elvis and the Searchers, thanks to his "infamy" or falling out with producers.

:)

• Upvote 1

did concider it but im afraid at 25 pounds each it was beyond my pocket now but our friend john was going he used to play base guitar for his backing group for a while and has not seen him for quite a few years when i told him about it in february he whent and booked it the next week.

If, and a BIG if, it is PJ; then he has gone to seed and cross bred with the weeds!

However, Meatloaf is not much better these days.

And for someone who's 75 and lived the high-life for fifty years, he did OK.

I agree, I wonder how modern acts will fare in 50 or so years.

I would have liked to go but I would not pay as much as £25, unless I was feeling particularly flush.

To echo what Rob L said , my sister in law also went last night with some friends to see the show and said it was absolutely fantastic !

Some of the people on their table had travelled from Surrey to see him . She said a lot of the fans seemed to know him , as though they travelled to all his concerts .

went last year to see charlie grasie at the plessey club had seen him a few times before once the year befor and several times in earlier years it was his 50th year in show biz having startedas a profesional singer age 15 he was 75 years old it was an abolutelly fabulous show on stage for two and a half hours doing his own music and rock and roll coverssuch as jonny be good great balls of fire the young british band were flaging by the time he came off stage but charlie spent the next hour plus selling his laterst album and sighning autographes untill every one who wanted one had got it done he sighned mine and three photoes we had taken of him the year before dave gave him one he had taken to keep himself .

i doubt many of the younger generation will even have heard of pj proby unless parents grand parents were fans. at most rock and roll gigs i have been to there a lot of young people fronm the age of about 7 up many of them can jive bob and stroll bythe time they get to there teens they put the older dances to shame with the exception of very few last week at chesterfield rock and roll club there was a dance off for a big compertion the final four couples all came from the nottingham area two were young couples 16 to 20s the other two over 60s they put up a good fight bu in the end the two younger couples beat the oldies yes of course they have more enegy but for moves and foot work you have to go some to beat them our friends emma and paul won so now fo to national final well done and good look to i am sure den will tell you how god some of them young dancers are on the nottingham scene

• Upvote 1

Mick,

The couple who shared our table were there with their teenage daughter. We asked her if she would have preferred to have been at a One Direction (or should that be one dimension?) concert. She laughed and said no.

• Upvote 1