by the way carlton lad fishing tackle shops still sell hemp see but now instead of boiling it yourself usd to hate the smell when dave did his , it now has to be pre boiled and mainly it comes ready frozen dave probly has some down in his fridge freezer down in the cellar.

Carltonlad, my wife and I will be going back in the not too distant future (#24).

As for the flat bed ferry's demise; there are many references to floods on the Trent, 1911, 1912 and the so called 'Great Flood' of 1929. PTP under 'floods' will give some idea of the intensity of the flooding but I would reckon the Great Flood could be the culprit. The floods of 1947 could be an outside possibility.

• Upvote 1

oh and the price of maggots now between two and three pounds a pint now no longer a cheep hobby it used to be dad used to send us up to tackle shop with his old bait tin 6 pence a pint

#27 Trevor thank you for the information sometimes when I am posting I wonder if I only dreamt some of the details, as I am not sure how reliable my memory is from the 50s and 60s. That is why I will always state I am not sure about the accuracy if I have doubt. Also could you tell me what PTP is? I am seeing it often in posts and do not know what it means.

Glad to hear you will go back to the UK soon, if you get to the Ferry Inn have a drink for me. I hope you enjoy the trip. One day I will go back but not too sure when it will be.

Babs thank you for your info too. I thought they may have stopped using hemp by now. Wow the maggots are expensive. The fish must now be having Al-a-carte meals.

PTP is the website Picture The Past.

A whole stack of pictures of various loacations through various time frames. You can spend hours on this site so....beware!

Try this link to start your journey: - http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php