1950s - 60s tv

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What made her say that you looked like Leo Sayer? Was it the white face paint or the clown outfit?

One of tmy best popular music programmes was Ready, Steady Go. A big fry up on a Friday evening. Watch RSG then on the bus to town..... The weekend has begun. Great days.

I can remember once when I was frozen and brought back to life. It was when I went to a Forest game in January.

The whole series of Green Acres plus dozens more oldies on various file sharing sites like Putlocker and Sockshare.

Problem with Youtube is most old shows are in three or four parts, which is a pita.

Try watching Monarch of The Glen on Youtube...LOL or Open All Hours.....Real pain!!

Most are on Putlocker and Sockshare in their entirety and in series and episode order...

I even found Z cars and a few others on sites like the above

I think all the earlier episodes of Green Acres were in black and white, later episodes in colour.

You can also find old westerns like Wagon Train, Bonanza etc on Putlocker and Sockshare, but the music for Bonanza isn't the same due to the company who has license for the video couldn't get the license rights to the music...Millcreek own the video rights.

Bonanza re-runs are common on our local cable - channel is "TVLAND" - complete with correct music!

ALL the "Rockford Files" can be found on Netflix! They are still brilliant, but the early ones are a little hokey. It is funny to watch shows made before cell phones became universal - they would not get in to half of the situations if they had a phone with them!

Rockford Files are on most of the online sites such as Putlocker, Sockshare, 1Channel etc...

It's replays from the DVD's of Bonanza that don't have the original music Eric, I'd say the composer or license holder wanted too much money.

No cable here, I live too far from a town with it. Our alternative is satellite, Dish Network or Direct TV, both out of our budget. So last alternative is TV via internet.

Even the latest shows are out here all for free, sometimes via the national networks streaming, other times, via file sharing sites, then there is HULU etc..

Most movies found on the internet are either "screeners" presume they are the copies given to cast and crew of a movie, DVD rips, movies "ripped" from DVD's and "Cams", not worth bothering with, where someone has sneaked a camera into the movie house, sound and video quality are poor. There's also the odd VHS, obvious from the pixellating...

I was surprised at the quality and that it was in colour.

Surely that was the first episode with him buying the farm.

I did not remember that Eva Gabor was in it.

BUT.... What was the name of the pig?

Maybe the version you have seen was digitized and colour enhanced Mick, I'd swear the early episodes were in B&W, I'll do some checking around.

The publicity photos were in B&W but every show was in colour..

Strange that you should post a thread on Green Acres, mick2me, very strange!

Read in the morning paper today that Mary Grace Canfield, the woman who played handywoman Ralph Monroe had died of lung cancer at 89 years of age. She also appearances/roles on many other TV shows over her 40 year career; including Harriet Kravitz on Bewitched.

Did you feel a strange compulsion to talk about Green Acres, mick2me? Did something guide your hand or was it voices in the head? :hand:

ps....Eva Gabor was in it from the beginning (#8).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eqX93umXo

Some of your suggestions are slightly before my time. I have fond memories hearing my dad talk about a radio show he would listen to in his youth called Dick Barton Special Agent and his sidekick Snowey. I have heard of various episodes which have been turned into a series of books but I just wondered if anyone remembers if a TV series was ever made. I think the Radio shows signature tune was the "Devil's Gallop"

fch782c.....Google Dick Barton - Special Agent and you have a wealth of information and access to the radio series, TV series and heaps more....

Hammer even made three films and it was going to be a series until the star, Don Stannard, got killed in a car crash in 1949.

It looks as though DB-SA has been resurrected numerous times but apparently nothing as popular as the 46-51 radio series where it was considered even more popular than the Archers.

Here is the original theme song....Devil's Gallop:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eqX93umXo

50s and 60s TV? Supercar (with Dr Beaker) and Fireball XL5 with Steve Mercury and Venus. No Hiding Place. Dixon of Dock Green. The Billy Cotton Show on Saturday night (Wakey Wakeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!). Sunday night at the London Palladium. cartoons - Mr Jinks Pixie and Dixie, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear (and Booboo). Not forgetting the pop music shows - Six Five Special, Juke Box Jury, Ready Steady Go.

It was MIKE Mercury (not Steve, and apparently no relation to Freddie) who was in Supercar. Fireball XL5 was Steve Zodiac.

Before Supercar there was Four Feather Falls, but I don't remember watching it. I remember Twizzle, though, which was on even longer ago than that.

...filmed in Supermarionation!

It was MIKE Mercury (not Steve, and apparently no relation to Freddie) who was in Supercar. Fireball XL5 was Steve Zodiac.

Before Supercar there was Four Feather Falls, but I don't remember watching it. I remember Twizzle, though, which was on even longer ago than that.

Don't forget Torchy the battery boy.

I used to love The Bumblies with ex Goon Michael Bentine. The Army Game was always entertaining and Take Your Pick with Michael Miles used to be popular on Friday nights.

Grainy 405 lines, black and white and no remote or surround sound how did we manage?

I miss westerns on the TV, there are no decent western themed progs lately, though I enjoyed " The Hatfields & McCoys" last year with Kevin Costner, very authentic.