1950s - 60s tv

I miss westerns on the TV, there are no decent western themed progs lately, though I enjoyed " The Hatfields & McCoys" last year with Kevin Costner, very authentic.

They'd have to slow down on the old Ethnic slaughtering and land stealing for todays better educated viewer. And even show one or two black cowboys who mysteriously didn't exist in the 40s/50s movies.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What made her say that you looked like Leo Sayer? Was it the white face paint or the clown outfit?

One of tmy best popular music programmes was Ready, Steady Go. A big fry up on a Friday evening. Watch RSG then on the bus to town..... The weekend has begun. Great days.

I can remember once when I was frozen and brought back to life. It was when I went to a Forest game in January.

Grainy 405 lines, black and white and no remote or surround sound how did we manage?

Our first TV, dating from 1953, had to have one of those plastic magnifying things on the screen because it was so small. We could only get the BBC on it (through one of those H-shaped aerials). In about 1958 or 1959 we got one which could pick up ITV (an additional, different-shaped, aerial was needed) - and which was big enough not to need the magnifying glass on the front!

That set lasted us until 1967 after I started work and we could afford a new one - and it could pick up BBC2! There was a switch on the front for changing from 405 lines for the other two channels to 625 lines for BBC.

And that's another thing - however did we manage with only two channels?

Merthyr, I think we'd watch anything, it was all so new to us, I don't remember our telly being switched off because it was something nobody liked. We were glued to everything. When the telly wasn't on, the radio was.

• Upvote 2

Evening All!! I used to watch Top of the Pops and Ready Steady Go. Coronation Street was easier to digest in the 60s with real people. As for Crossroads? All the failed actors and actresses had parts in this.

• 1 year later...

In 1960 my dad and I used to watch an ATV programme called The Strange World of Gurney Slade. It was devised by Anthony Newley and he played the part of Gurney Slade. It was very strange, very funny and I think it was ahead of its time. The theme music is on Youtube and I still have the single recording of this in my collection. We saw Anthony Newley in a musical show at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham in the 1970s and I think it was called Stop the world I want to get off.

• 7 months later...

speeding down the line..........six five special right on time..................i'm with you margie............don lang ?

• Upvote 1

One of tmy best popular music programmes was Ready, Steady Go. A big fry up on a Friday evening. Watch RSG then on the bus to town..... The weekend has begun. Great days.

• Upvote 3

Didn't Don Lang sing a song that started 'I told the witch doctor I was in love with you...' It had some gobbledegook words in it. Lovely word ...'gobbledegook'

I always thought he was a lot older than me. He must have been well in his thirties when he sang the witch doctor song

Before my grandfather bought us a TV I used to go and watch The Lone Ranger and Superman with the lad next door. When we got the TV I loved to watch The Six Five Special with my dad. Tommy Steele and Lonnie Donegan provided my first real introduction to music. I still love Singing the Blues and Rock Island Line. My husband and I still laugh about "My Old Man's a Dustman" if we are late putting out the wheelie bin! No, I have never had to "jump up on the cart"! I think I have mentioned before that my dad and I loved to watch Gurney Slade. It was strange but we did laugh a lot.

There were some programmes that I hated: Crackerjack, The Black and White Minstrel Show, Billy Cotton and sport. I was fortunate in having library books and other things to do when these were on.

• Upvote 2