Thanks for the photos they brought back many memories of my childhood in the 50's, my dad's maternal family were market people so we visited both the Central & Sneinton markets every weekend. Carlton lad mentioned mushy peas & cockles, does anyone remember Eric Dickinsons pea & shellfish stalls? he was a mate of my dad's and we went there every Saturday. His son Paul was still running the stalls in the Victoria Market up to a couple of years ago but I have not been down there for a while.

The cafes were on the left up a few steps if my memory serves me well and I had an aunt who either owned or worked in a cafe up there so I would go there on a Saturday and she would give me a mug of tea and a plate of toast and dripping. I had another aunt who worked in the cafe on the corner of Sneinton Market and guess what? she would give me another mug of tea and a plate of toast. My gran always used to say eat all your toast It will make your hair curl (just look at my profile picture) she was avvinalaf

One of the pictures shows Joices buiscuit shop on the left of the Main Entrance, I remember going down the steps into the market and the entrance to Joices was on the left, directly opposite the steps was a sweet stall and my dad used to ask them for a threppeney bag of jar bottoms fer mi lad. The person behind the counter would fill a bag with sweets that they had to hit with a stick to free them from the bottom of the jar. There would be pear drops, fishes(that tasted like pear drops),jelly babies(usually headless from being hit wi stick) and allsorts.

I remember going to the pet store for my rabbit food, we had a few rabbits and I always wondered why I never got a white one until years later when I was told that I was feeding wild rabbits for the stew. I never worked out how a rabbit had escaped from the hutch even though there was a padlock on the door.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

When I tried to open the pictures at number 4 my computer froze and I had to switch off. When I switched back on the Nottstalgia page said it 'couldn`t be displayed'. It`s back now. (obviously). I daren`t try it again. Did I do something wrong? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Glasshouse Street? I have a picture taken from the opposite direction.

Not sure it's Glasshouse Street. I think it's looking up King Edward Street from Huntingdon Street. Here's the modern equivalent; note the church spire in the distance.

market_2.jpg

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you 40 odd years in the future and see you what you are doing now, on a computer using an internet site called Nottstalgia. i suppose it would be much like telling a victorian person about streaming TV and Music. they would think you were ready for the funny farm, but, what in 40years in the future will people be using far more advanced technology than we us now, looking at us, doing what we do, blimey losing it all now.

• Upvote 7

I remember as a boy, walking from Wilford Crescent to Central Market most Saturdays to the old comic book stall in the Market there to trade in US comics to further my collection, imagine buying for 2 old pence a copy of Amazing Fantasy # 15 - first appearance of Spiderman which now sells depending on condition (partly due to the movies) for between $8.000 - $680.000 depending on condition for that issue alone!!!

• Upvote 1

Re #35, about six or seven bays up on the left near where the car is parked was the second hand record stall, where I bought many old singles in the early sixties .

In the bottom entrance, where the traffic copper is situated was the seafood and hot peas stall. Just on the right. Fantastic.

Re: the second-hand record stall.

If it's the one I remember, they guy who ran it was called Arthur. I bought lots of ex-juke-box singles from there (the ones with a big hole in the middle where you had to buy an adaptor). They were all I could afford at the time.

#31, Cliff Ton

I think I have got my bearings Huntingdon Street/ King Edward Street looking towards Parliament Street. But I can't place the church at the top of the photograph on the right which appears to be on Glasshouse Street.

That's how I remember the cafes too. No matter what I went to the market for,[for me mam] I always went outside to look at the pet stall.

I loved the pet stall,I remember you could buy a kind of dry shampoo for cats,it made my cat smell like French perfume.
  • Upvote 1

#31, Cliff Ton

I think I have got my bearings Huntingdon Street/ King Edward Street looking towards Parliament Street. But I can't place the church at the top of the photograph on the right which appears to be on Glasshouse Street.

It's actually on lower Parliament St, opposite Argos. It's not used as a church nowadays though.

If I remember right,was there an upstairs to the fish market where they sold meat ?

I don't recall that, crankypig. I might be wrong, but I don't think there was an upstairs in the Central Market. There were certainly butchers on the ground floor.

We bought my first puppy from the pet stall. He cost 7/6d and was really too young to have left his mum, but he survived for about 12 years and gave us much happiness. We called him Scamp.