• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

We bought my first puppy from the pet stall. He cost 7/6d and was really too young to have left his mum, but he survived for about 12 years and gave us much happiness. We called him Scamp.

I remember the pet stall Margie I remember looking at them when waiting for the 39 bus. always felt a bit sorry for em stuck in their cages.etc.
  • Upvote 1

wrong thread i know but, been looking at the Central Market pics and comments, absolutely brilliant, reminded me of when i worked at Coombes shoe repairs, the shop was opposite Central Market and the Palaise, we worked upstairs on the second floor and the ladies heel bar was on the third floor, the top floor was where Pat Lowe Dancing school was, went there as a kid with my sister, anyway working at the shoe repairs used to watch the girls going in the palais during the day, this was before my hippie brain crash, loved the smell in the repairs.

wrong thread i know (not now it isn't) but, been looking at the Central Market pics and comments, absolutely brilliant, reminded me of when i worked at Coombes shoe repairs, the shop was opposite Central Market and the Palaise, we worked upstairs on the second floor and the ladies heel bar was on the third floor,

We can just see you looking out of the window.

parliament.jpg

• Upvote 2

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Millions-watch-Nottingham-TV-s-Come-Dancing/story-12203489-detail/story.html, here is a news clip from the late 60s/70s which i danced on, the forerunner to Strictly Come Dancing, this was Come Dancing, i was in the formation team

dad used to run my sister Olive all over the country with mum for her dancing, weeks they would spend making her dress for dancing, dad would be on the floor cutting out material around a pattern, mum couldn't get down because of her leg disablility, tell you about it sometime, then mum would spend days machining the material together, after which days and days of sewing sequins on by hand, thousands of em, dad would organise time off work because he worked away most times, but the best times were when she would dance in some competition at Blackpool, we would go with her dance school as a weeks holiday, in the Tower Ballroom, aawww it was brilliant. good memories

• Upvote 4

I remember when watching Come Dancing, the commentator would describe the dresses, what colour they were (before colour telly) how many yards of what fabric and how many sequins her mother had sewn on.

• Upvote 3

bet they didn't say how many times the dress got thrown across the room, how many bloody arguments it caused, the endless repairs to it, trying to stuff four different ballroom dresses, cases of makeup, shoes, yourselves all crammed into a small car, travelling hundreds of miles getting the damn things out again running in and out of the toilets whilst changing, panic, headaches, worry it was all magic

• Upvote 4

iandawson, in all these years, till today, never really thought about it, but, yeah i am proud of myself and my sister, she passed every dancing exam she entered, ontained every medal, cup and honour in amateur dance. Even got her teaching certificate NSTD. National Society of Teachers of Dance, she still goes dancing today being alone, husband ran off. tell you more later, wifes calling, got to go

• Upvote 2

Nottingham really needs a market like that old indoor one, a gem!! perfect layout, rents any trader could live with. And the aerial pic is interesting, the bloke who paid for the roof ad for cigars was hoping a bit! who the buggery down on the street would see it? I think it would be worth a bus ride to see if its still there. A Notty here not long ago was asking about trade signs painted on walls, will we go looking for some for him?

And the aerial pic is interesting, the bloke who paid for the roof ad for cigars was hoping a bit! who the buggery down on the street would see it? I think it would be worth a bus ride to see if its still there.

You might be surprised to learn that there is already a thread on that subject. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13018&hl=

And to save you a bus journey - the roof sign is no longer there.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey Robbie!! nice one. It was a bit like The Lord Roberts inside( before the re-fit). Often scooted down to Playland whilst my Dad was ' Avin a swift half,or nipping up to the market for a ' split' sucker. Often thought about this whilst waiting for a Fon a car taxi opposite the Palais years later...eating those dreadful chips!!!next door to taxi office.

• 6 months later...

Some great pictures of the old central market , I also recall that toy stall in the centre of the hall & the amazingly detailed Airfix solders all painted & mounted on rectangular boards, all there to view at a young boys eyeline, along with lots of ships, planes, again all painted in amazing detail, I used to spend ages looking at these, deliberating how to spend my 3/6d pocket money

• 3 months later...

Had some great stuff off the Central Market back then..........It's an Old Peoples Complex now, I do believe.......

Some great pictures of the old central market , I also recall that toy stall in the centre of the hall & the amazingly detailed Airfix solders all painted & mounted on rectangular boards, all there to view at a young boys eyeline, along with lots of ships, planes, again all painted in amazing detail, I used to spend ages looking at these, deliberating how to spend my 3/6d pocket money

Can anyone recall the name of the chap that ran that toy store. As far as I remember he dealt exclusively in Meccano Ltd products, Dinky Toys,Hornby Dublo, etc. I don't recall him dealing in Airfix kits. I still have boxes of HD locos that he'd signed as reserved for my dad as Xmas presents for me. I recall going there once to find he'd died suddenly, cancer, heart attack, can't recall, his wife tried to run the stall for a bit but it didn't work, she, quite understandably hadn't got the knowledge and enthusiasm he had, and, it must have been very difficult for her in view of her loss.