I had lots of things from him, but I only knew him as Mr Cyril, which I presume was his Christian name.

Don't forget Bayko building kits too.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

I remember central market very well. My mum and I both had knitting machines and used to get cones of wool from Harry Masons at the top end. I can't remember though exactly where it was. I remember somewhere near the palais, am I right.

Just had another look at photos. Was it opposite the gas showrooms.

Yes and yes nonna,..........Gas showrooms,central Market then the Palais,........remember Palais steps where we used to meet ?

• Upvote 1

I remember that on the outside edge of the Central Market, opposite the Palais. There was a pet store. Lots of pups in cages hoping for a buyer. I used to just stand and look at them. I was a dog nut even back then, but my parents sure weren't.

Once again the site has made my day !!!!

Central Market I remember going with my mum to "Harrys" to get material to make dresses as mum was a dress maker, when you mention the pet stall I remember my dad coming home with a tortoise from there it cost 4/6 as I got older and was mum to two boys, Central Market was the only place I could find decent boy's clothes, apart from M/S which at the time I could not afford.

Must dash going to get my mushy peas from the pea stall.

• Upvote 2

I went through a snake fancying stage round about 1960ish. I imagine they were harmless, someone I knew had one and I liked it, probably because it was different to the usual pets. I'm glad now that mam didn't let me have one, because the novelty would have worn off quickly and mam probably knew she would end up snake sitting.

Loved the Pea Stall and the Winkle Stall Mary. Both of them a must have when we went in the market, a rolled up cone of winkles to eat with a hairgrip on the bus home .

• Upvote 1

I spent my school holidays with my grand parents in Barrow in Furness and Garry ( granddad) used to take me winkling, eel hunting and crabbing. We always went to Walney Island and I loved going along the tide line and finding all sorts of treasure ( read rubbish)

We also collected cockles which Nana sprinkled oat meal over to spurge them and it was invariably winkles and pickled samphire for tea

Remember being a kid, and laying ill on the settee. Wasn't eating much, then decided I fancied some winkles. Dad must have gone into town to find some for me, only for me to take one look at them and say, they're not what I meant. I actually meant cockles, so he had to go hunting again.

• Upvote 1

I spent my school holidays with my grand parents in Barrow in Furness and Garry ( granddad) used to take me winkling, eel hunting and crabbing. We always went to Walney Island and I loved going along the tide line and finding all sorts of treasure ( read rubbish)

We also collected cockles which Nana sprinkled oat meal over to spurge them and it was invariably winkles and pickled samphire for tea

Sounds devine, I used to grow my own samphire at home, I love it. Remember the whelk and seafood store right at the bottom of Central Market, next to the door that led onto Huntingdon St bus station, it was all white ceramic tiles. They sold cockles, whelks et al on small dishes.On our perpetual Saturday morning trips into town, my old man took us on the same route, bacon from Pork Farms on Parliament St, lurking on the wall going down to Vic south turntable, Central Market and whelks, Hockley, Gee Dees and Beecrofts, then a trip to the Victoria St art gallery with the trains rumbling underneath and making the floor shake. Then it would be off to Weekday Cross, talk to the old boy that sat on his kitchen chair outside his terraced house. I would be put on top of the blue brick retaining wall to watch the trains come blasting out of Weekday Cross tunnel, happy days of peace and innocence, where have they gone to.

• Upvote 1

#92. Yuch! Remind me not to order any. Me dad used to like Mussels. Don't know what he ever saw in 'em. Boy! Did they stink when he boiled them. My mother wouldn't touch 'em so. He cooked them himself.

Re Joicies shop to the left of entrance to the Central Market, which seems to have been a biscuit shop...........well my mother was Joyce Whitworth and I knew she had a shop in Nottingham somewhere, but not where. I had thought it was a clothes shop. Might this be her shop ? Does anybody know any more about the shop ?

It is also thought she had a chippie with her partner, George Pinder, but again location unknown. Any ideas anybody ?

#92. Yuch! Remind me not to order any. Me dad used to like Mussels. Don't know what he ever saw in 'em. Boy! Did they stink when he boiled them. My mother wouldn't touch 'em so. He cooked them himself.

My Mum cooked a big pan of mussels for my Dad every Saturday afternoon while he was down the match. A friend and I regularly reminisce about Saturday nights when she would stay round our house but we'd pinch his mussels, but there was plenty to go round!

• Upvote 1