• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

To move the discussion away from fishy matters - there was also a stall in Central Market that had a number of cacti - my Dad bought me one when I was about 7 and by the time I was 14 I had had to re-pot it several times as it had grown to many times its original size. Don't know why I liked it as its spikes were ferocious

Mussels were always a Sunday breakfast treat in our house (when they were in season). I still have them, but not so often as they are pricey now. For years I boiled them to open them up and take the weed out, but now buy them ready cooked. Just mix some plain flour into a watery sauce and add before taking out of the pan, then sprinkle with pepper when on the plate - yum, yum. For some reason katyjay does not like them - must be an aberration in her family DNA.

Of course Benjamin, Tesco, Morrissons and Lidls do them in the bag and they're lovely!

Bazwhitt, welcome to the Forum. My Mum worked at Joices and although a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, I seem to recall that that the name was the surname of the owner, but I could be wrong.

It's frightening to realise that the Central Market, which we think of as having been there forever, was actually only in existence for about as long as the market in the Vic Centre has been open.

I love mussels cooked in white wine, little tomato and chilli with plenty of crispy bread to mop up the sauce

• Upvote 1

I love mussels cooked any which way ! I currently have about 6 tubs of NZ greenlip, pickled, some spicy vinegar some garlic spicy vinegar, simply delicious.

But my favorite are chilli with heaps of garlic and white wine with crusty bread to sop up the juices. Bloody hell me mouths watering talking about it.

• Upvote 1

Green lipped mussels....nice topped with garlicky bread crumbs, sprinkled with dry sherry and popped into the oven for a while

#110. A classic example of how we think something has always been there. I went through the central market often with my grandma. She would take me into town with her as a kid and we would walk back through the market on the way to the Trent bus. She would usually pick up some fish for tea in the fish market area. I don't think I'll ever forget that smell. :-)

Phew, well done Cliff ! LOL

• Upvote 1

As Ian said after looking in the news archives for Derbys , the first adverts there for Joicies appeared in 1933 .

One of the owners was a Mr . J. Joicie .

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

No, my dad had a Triumph Renown, and it was more square and angular.

I reckon it is an MG saloon. It has an exposed spare wheel on the bootlid. Could be a Riley?  The split screen Morris is an MO.

• Like 2

Well exposed rear wheel......... as Pianoman says MG but this was a characteristic of VdP bodies so could be a Talbot 

Earlier than some cars there as it has exposed headlights.

Cannot make out wheels but if not spokes does it have Ace Wheel covers?

If so into larger cars Jaguar (SS), big Humber or Rover??

Don't think I have helped ........... Sorry 

• Like 1