Central Market became a temporary bus depot, sorry garage, EU rules said they had to be called garages instead of depots !

Affectionately known as "The Fish Market" on NCT.

That garage housed the Beeston & St Anns routes untill NCT pulled out, also Wollaton Vale routes wher operated from there.

It was the only garage to refuel buses as they left the garage, all other garages refueled when going in, the fuel tanks could only be sited near the doors & buses parking on the entrance would have caused chaos to passing traffic.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

I think its a Riley, my dad had one looks very similar due to spare wheel on boot. My Aunt has just said is it a Citroen !!!!

• Like 1

Could be an Aston but no Bertelli pics showing the split rear windscreen.

Also I do not think AM would cover their wire wheels, though of course an owner may fit them at some time in the cars life.

If we could see the detail on the bonnet louvres then that would help e.g. Riley's diamond.

I'll throw a spanner into the works. How about an Armstrong Siddley !

• Like 1

Tek yer spanner back Fly, Armstrong Siddely has a sloping front grille and is a more "curvaceous" body style. Looks to be a mascot on radiator cap, but they were two a penny in those days. I keep thinking Jag, but although the headlights look like Mareschal types, the boot is the wrong shape for a Mk X.

Classic Car mag used to have a feature with such a photo and would identify each vehicle. Where are they now when you need `em?

Easy identity is the Austin A40 van.

Sorry Commo, it was the wheel discs that steered me in that direction. So now I'm thinking Riley, or MG. 

I went with AM because of the coach line and the picture notty linked to. Not convinced the rear screen is split, can't see it properly.

I'll wait till he moves after the trolley bus has gone and we get  a better view..      ;)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ian - one of the best posts on this forum - well for me, who spent a lot of time on CM late 40's when dad ran a haberdashery stall there. I still love markets - going to Penkridge Market this morning. Every time I go into Stafford I visit the market cafe - reminds me so much about Nottm CM. 

• Like 3

I had a Satruday job in the Central Market selling curtain material. The stall owner, Ruby Sunshine, who's real name was Ruben Finkelstein also had a workshop on Glasshouse Street making up curtains for customers.

I used to take an enamel jug to the cafe to be filled with tea where a gorgeous lady  took take great delight in embarrasing me by hugging me to her (more than ample) bosom and call me her little ray of sunshine.

A magic place that had 'character, somehing the market in Vicki center never achieved to the same degree.

• Like 2

I was in the Victoria Centre market recently. Absolutely soulless. Not all stalls were occupied and those that were, not all were open. Hardly anyone in there. I wonder how much longer it can survive, and will disappear like the downstairs half did.

• Like 2

Most Saturdays we would go to visit my Grandma and my Aunts in the “Medders”. The best way for us would be to catch a trolley bus from Middleton Blvd in Woolaton (if memory serves me a 59) to the Central Market then another to just before Goodhead St which was like halfway between the Midland Station and the river.

When we stopped at the market my Dad would make a bee line to a shell fish stall in the back and he would buy oysters, mussels or what ever was in season along with a dish of mushy peas. My Brother and I must have begun to eat oysters at something like 3 or 4 years old - still love em!

• Like 1

Close but no cigar - Wracking my brain my buses were a 39, 60, 56, 13 and a 53 along the boulevards 

This is too much fun and addictive and you guys are bledy good! - well done!

• Like 1

Do you remember those bus routes? 

NCT must be a huge operation, what with that light rail system.

I love living in the USA but, particularly in the south, the public transport system sucks and everybody drives their own vehicle on their own everywhere. The longest walk anybody has is from their car across the parking lot - no wonder we are fat. I try, in vain, to explain to them that in the UK people are fitter as it would not be unusual for a 70 year old woman to catch the bus to the supermarket, which might entail a 15 minute walk each end, buy a 5 lb bag of spuds and other stuff and make the return journey carrying say 10lbs in 2 shopping bags and do that or something similar every day. Her impact on the environment is negligible and she doesn’t need to dress up and pose in some gym. 

Men on the other hand might do the same thing but then waste it all by supping 6 or 8 pints a night in some pub, which in itself used not to be a bad thing given how regular bitter kept everybody.

• Like 1

Remember every one Martyn & the bus stops & fare stages too ! When you join NCT you are programmed like a robot !   smile2

In recent years all bus routes have changed route numbers, routes, everything has changed.

True about old people catching the bus as well, most old people can't afford the expense of car ownership, considering GB is supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world.

I remember chatting to my American aunt & I always remember her telling me "Even the poorest people in the US have a car" !

Also with a city council like ours who operate a "Hate the motorist" policy by implementing a draconian gestapo like enforcement campaign against the city motorist & doing their utmost to persuade the motorist to use their pet white elephant scheme called the tram. Look on here for the WPL too.

• Like 1