If you drove for N C T and went in as a spare driver you could be sent to any depot, Parlo, Trent bridge, Bulwell, Sherwood, Central market or Bilbro. Maybe 100 routes plus school or works extras. A few times I had to ask passengers the way.

• Like 2
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

I was once sent to Bilborough depot one morning & after being given a duty to start by the timekeeper I mentioned I didn't know the routes, just follow the oil slick on the road & you'll be fine he said !

• Like 3

A bit like my first time driving an artic. "Can you drive one of those" said the supervisor. "Don't know" I said. Well take that one to Lincoln depot and find out!

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Gem said:

I think its a Riley, my dad had one looks very similar due to spare wheel on boot. My Aunt has just said is it a Citroen !!!!

It might have been a VAUXHALL just looking at the running boards and lights,

sorry if this post makes you laugh don't know much about old cars. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Nowt like the deep end to sharpen you up!

It was quite good at tightening ones sphincter as well!

• Like 2

I'd never heard of the New Madrid Fault Line so I've just looked it up - fascinating reading.  I love it when I learn something new!   I'm pleased to say there are no earthquakes here in the Cambridgeshire Fens - just the risk of flooding as the sea level rises!

• Like 1

It's a scary one Margie.  As bad or worse than the San Andreas fault.  I watched a documentary about an earthquake that occurred there in the 1800s.  There were few people there then. so not many if any deaths.  Today there are numerous large cities along the line.  That could be real nasty.   I'm beginning to think that between Yellowstone, the San Andreas, and New Madrid the USA could be in for a shaky ride.   We went to Yellowstone a few years ago.  Because it is a large caldera rather than a conical volcano you don't think much of it.  In fact it is a beautiful area but the geologists say it is a super volcano and if it ever blows.  America may be trying to dig itself out of volcanic dust for  along time.  Potentially millions dead.

• Upvote 1

The Mississippi floods at least once a year, I have seen it grow to 12 miles wide. We also get the residues from the Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and living on the jet stream means we get the Canadian air mass. This winter it was - 8 c for about a month then in June / July it will be 40 c. 

This week though was perfect

Loppylugs

Didn’t you have some strange stuff in Atlanta last year 

• Like 2

How long have you been there, Martyn?   I've been in Ga. about 16 years.  Formerly Alberta Canada.  I still miss the Rockies.

Edited to Add.  Atlanta weather has not been too bad really.  We live about 60 miles east of it.  That's close enough for me.  ;)

Loppylugs 

I’ve been in Memphis for abut 10 years, before that Little Rock, Houston and New Jersey / New York. I've been in the USA since December 1988.

When I was at sea we used to load timber from the west coast and BC for the far east. I love the Vancouver / Vancouver Island area.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Loppylugs 

I’ve been in Memphis for abut 10 years, before that Little Rock, Houston and New Jersey / New York. I've been in the USA since December 1988.

When I was at sea we used to load timber from the west coast and BC for the far east. I love the Vancouver / Vancouver Island area.

I left Nottingham in 71 for Toronto.  I think a lot of Brits go there first.  Moved on to Alberta.  Lived there for about 25 years and loved it.  Moved down here after my first wife died and I remarried a Tennessee gal.  Long story.  I don't miss the -30 winters too much, but I'm not keen on the humid 90s in the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I always said that if I was going to leave the UK I would go to BC. I have relatives from Nottingham who went to Edmonton and last year a woman who worked for us moved to Calgary with her husband and family.  However, I do like the South and Texas. I find the living is so much easier than the UK or the north. i once looked at a place on St Simons Island but thought better of it - it was just too laid-back  

• Like 1

Never lived in BC.  Often holidayed there when the kids were little.  Penticton, Flintstones village etc.. I know a lot of Brits likeVictoria, very English like.  Afternoon tea, double decker buses, foggy etc.. 

The south here in Ga is fairly laid back.  Still some racial undertones but not too bad.  Other than that most of the same shops and other businesses that we find in Canada.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Can't leave this unresolved.

I have it on good authority that it's a Triumph Gloria saloon.

Don't think it is a Gloria as the door handles are not right, the Gloria had its door handles on the leading edge of the front door and the rear edge of the rear door. I agree with TBI I think it is a Triumph Dolomite 13/60 from 1938 (picture from Wiki)

Image result for 1938 Triumph Dolomite

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TBI said:

looks like a Dolomite to me.

2 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

Since the radiator grille is not visible in the NS photo I'll have to give you that.

TBI and WW, agreed, it could be either as we cannot see the radiator grill, but definitely a Dolomite

• 6 months later...

Ah but a picture of a man serving mushy peas is just that, no more to be said. A picture of a wooden post however raises many interesting  points for discussion. Lets see; is it a post or a stake? maybe its a paling or even a pole. When  does a stake become a post and when does a post become a pole? These are things we should be told.

• Like 3

The thread ‘Boring Repetitive Posts’ achieved well over 100 appreciations from Nottstalgians who were getting incredibly bored with the content of the site.   It was clever, amusing and original.   The thread certainly cheered my day up and couldn’t wait to log on to see folks responses.  As Brew says, the chap selling mushy peas is just that.  Do we know if he is a Nottingham mushy peas seller?   

• Like 5