• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

A pillar maybe?...timber or wood?

There you go! see, they are interesting!..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

When the 'good old' Central Market first opened in 1928 most people didn't like it. They wanted to keep the old version in the Market Square where it had been for many years. The new one wasn't popular.

The Central Market was anything but....it was on the outskirts of the city centre, almost in St Ann's.

Yet now it's seen as some kind of holy grail.

@Cliff Tonyes I suppose it was a fair way out of the city centre for folk to walk with their shopping.

I think its location was probably why Grandma liked it though, a short walk down Bath st and then would it have been up King Edward st? 

Grandma like most folk back then shopped at least every other if not everyday for fresh goods.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Lets face it this is not the central  market we know amd loved,  It should never have moved planner;s/council's again messed up.