I have attached a drawing of the Central Market. It shows the location of my cart.

I have also shown inside the market my favourite Mushy peas and cockles stand. I always had my peas and cockles here as everyone was so friendly and their mint sauce tasted great on the peas.

In the fruit and veg section of the market there were 4 cafes as marked. My favourite one was number 2 as you could get really good cheese and onion crusty topped cobs with a very tasty cheddar cheese, they also served a beautiful ham cob with the ham sliced straight off the bone and topped with Coleman's mustard. My mother introduced me to this café because when she went there she always believed this café served the best mug of tea. Also shown is the fruit and veg stall where we used to buy all our fruit and veges. My mother used to get a discount at this stall because she was classified as a long term regular. I would really enjoy the Saturday afternoons that my mother and spent at the market, she always made the day out very special. I think this was because I came from a large family and very rarely did I get the opportunity to spend time with my mother alone.

I still have a lot of very happy memories regarding these trips.

When we first got to Australia, when I was at home my mother and I always made a point of going shopping together on Saturdays. Where she would enjoy a pot of tea while I drank a coffee. The café was right next to the supermarket and they sold really good cream cakes. My mother was always on a diet, but after getting my mother to forget the diet for one day, she would always take a big cream puff

post-6313-0-33694600-1392736340_thumb.pn

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these are before the time of anyone here, but they sum up the atmosphere of the old Central Market. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_i

We live in wonderous times, looking at all these pics of people in Central Market, most of them knocking on a bit, i wonder how they would have reacted if you told them a person will be looking at you

Posted Images

Carltonlad, your map of the Central Market (#34) brought back memories of when, in the early 50s, I would go with my Dad to the market and he used to get a mug of tea at a café where you have indicated.

Remember walking in through the fish section with the wet floors and the smells. My memory has it that the café was more an open stall area, surrounded by a waist high partition with stools or tables and chairs for the customers.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant Pictures CliffTon,

I don't know what year they were taken, but the first one in particular looks just as I remember it in the 1950s, in the fish market. Mam took us in there every time we went to Town, visiting relatives or shopping.

• Like 1

In the 6th picture, the pet stall would be half way down on the right hand side. I always remember budgies and canaries in cages up against the wall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

#39 Trevor you are right the partitions were only about waist high with an opening for entry. They had tables and benches, I can remember I had to cock my leg over the bench to squeeze in and sit down. The cobs and tea was great.

#42 Yes Poohbear I do remember Markins too.

#44 Clif Ton. Thank you very much for all the pics. Even though they may have been before my time. It looked as though the place did not change over the years. And the last pic of the outside of the market in 1968 really brings back memories as I left Nottingham in March 1969.

In Taiwan we have what are called traditional markets, these are very similar to what the Central Market used to be like. But they sell only meat, fish, fruit and veges. But they are all individual vendors. The traditional market really does bring back the memories of Central market with the smells and displays. No refrigeration everything just out on display, so you just walk and choose what you want. Everything fresh daily. And it is only 4 minutes walk from where I live.

Carltonlad, your map of the Central Market (#34) brought back memories of when, in the early 50s, I would go with my Dad to the market and he used to get a mug of tea at a café where you have indicated.

Remember walking in through the fish section with the wet floors and the smells. My memory has it that the café was more an open stall area, surrounded by a waist high partition with stools or tables and chairs for the customers.

Wasn't one of them called 'Minnies Tea Bar' ?

Loved the photo's of the old market, brought back meany memories of my childhood. Remember me going with one of my great aunt's and pestering her eyes out to buy me a puppy from the pet shop for my birthday.

When we got home with it mum was not pleased, but allowed me to keep her, she was a lovely dog of mixed variety ancestors !

I lost her a few years later to distemper and was heartbroken.

One of my favorite old Nottm spots I think.

I know now why I love markets today, especially those in Asia like Carltonlad mentions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

H.Stone towards the front of the picture..... Flowers, plants, shrubs. They still have a stall in Victoria Centre. I get all my bedding plants and tomato plants from them.

Thanks for this. It brought back memories of the sights, smells, sounds and the fear of being lost in the crowd as a child. What a pity many of these have been lost to us over the years. I've seen them in Oxford, Leeds and Chester but much of the character seems to have dribbled away over the years; or perhaps that's just powers of perception changing with age.

Cliff, thanks for that info, I don't think I knew that it was Beecrofts who ran that, it was always just "the Toy Stall" and to me it was toy Nirvana! I don't know how many happy hours I spent as a kid circulating those glass display Windows, with the stall being elevated talking to the chap inside was difficult when you were small and got easier as you grew. I bought many Airfix model planes and paint from there,along with model train paraphernalia, and the last purchase was by Mrs C (before she became Mrs C) in 1967 when she bought me a Scalextric set for Christmas, she has always believed in Boys Toys!!

The Scalex and the model trains are still boxed away up in the loft.