Carltonlad

Central Market

Most Saturdays we would go to visit my Grandma and my Aunts in the “Medders”. The best way for us would be to catch a trolley bus from Middleton Blvd in Woolaton (if memory serves me a 59) to the Central Market then another to just before Goodhead St which was like halfway between the Midland Station and the river.

When we stopped at the market my Dad would make a bee line to a shell fish stall in the back and he would buy oysters, mussels or what ever was in season along with a dish of mushy peas. My Brother and I must have begun to eat oysters at something like 3 or 4 years old - still love em!

• Like 1

Close but no cigar - Wracking my brain my buses were a 39, 60, 56, 13 and a 53 along the boulevards 

This is too much fun and addictive and you guys are bledy good! - well done!

• Like 1

Do you remember those bus routes? 

NCT must be a huge operation, what with that light rail system.

I love living in the USA but, particularly in the south, the public transport system sucks and everybody drives their own vehicle on their own everywhere. The longest walk anybody has is from their car across the parking lot - no wonder we are fat. I try, in vain, to explain to them that in the UK people are fitter as it would not be unusual for a 70 year old woman to catch the bus to the supermarket, which might entail a 15 minute walk each end, buy a 5 lb bag of spuds and other stuff and make the return journey carrying say 10lbs in 2 shopping bags and do that or something similar every day. Her impact on the environment is negligible and she doesn’t need to dress up and pose in some gym. 

Men on the other hand might do the same thing but then waste it all by supping 6 or 8 pints a night in some pub, which in itself used not to be a bad thing given how regular bitter kept everybody.

• Like 1

Remember every one Martyn & the bus stops & fare stages too ! When you join NCT you are programmed like a robot !   smile2

In recent years all bus routes have changed route numbers, routes, everything has changed.

True about old people catching the bus as well, most old people can't afford the expense of car ownership, considering GB is supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world.

I remember chatting to my American aunt & I always remember her telling me "Even the poorest people in the US have a car" !

Also with a city council like ours who operate a "Hate the motorist" policy by implementing a draconian gestapo like enforcement campaign against the city motorist & doing their utmost to persuade the motorist to use their pet white elephant scheme called the tram. Look on here for the WPL too.

• Like 1

"Even the poorest people in the US have a car."  Maybe most of 'em do but they can't afford a doctor.!  :Shock:

• Like 2

If you drove for N C T and went in as a spare driver you could be sent to any depot, Parlo, Trent bridge, Bulwell, Sherwood, Central market or Bilbro. Maybe 100 routes plus school or works extras. A few times I had to ask passengers the way.

• Like 2

I was once sent to Bilborough depot one morning & after being given a duty to start by the timekeeper I mentioned I didn't know the routes, just follow the oil slick on the road & you'll be fine he said !

• Like 3

A bit like my first time driving an artic. "Can you drive one of those" said the supervisor. "Don't know" I said. Well take that one to Lincoln depot and find out!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Gem said:

I think its a Riley, my dad had one looks very similar due to spare wheel on boot. My Aunt has just said is it a Citroen !!!!

It might have been a VAUXHALL just looking at the running boards and lights,

sorry if this post makes you laugh don't know much about old cars. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Nowt like the deep end to sharpen you up!

It was quite good at tightening ones sphincter as well!

• Like 2

Speaking of tight sphincter’s 

I had Memphis bar b que and beer last night on the banks of the Mississippi 

• Like 1

If that New Madrid fault line ever lets go, Martyn. It could get nasty in Memphis.  Mind you! it might even affect us dahn in Ga. 

• Like 1

Y’all have to git outta the bledy way of u'all coming through (mixed language)

• Like 1

I'd never heard of the New Madrid Fault Line so I've just looked it up - fascinating reading.  I love it when I learn something new!   I'm pleased to say there are no earthquakes here in the Cambridgeshire Fens - just the risk of flooding as the sea level rises!

• Like 1

It's a scary one Margie.  As bad or worse than the San Andreas fault.  I watched a documentary about an earthquake that occurred there in the 1800s.  There were few people there then. so not many if any deaths.  Today there are numerous large cities along the line.  That could be real nasty.   I'm beginning to think that between Yellowstone, the San Andreas, and New Madrid the USA could be in for a shaky ride.   We went to Yellowstone a few years ago.  Because it is a large caldera rather than a conical volcano you don't think much of it.  In fact it is a beautiful area but the geologists say it is a super volcano and if it ever blows.  America may be trying to dig itself out of volcanic dust for  along time.  Potentially millions dead.

• Upvote 1

The Mississippi floods at least once a year, I have seen it grow to 12 miles wide. We also get the residues from the Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and living on the jet stream means we get the Canadian air mass. This winter it was - 8 c for about a month then in June / July it will be 40 c. 

This week though was perfect

Loppylugs

Didn’t you have some strange stuff in Atlanta last year 

• Like 2

How long have you been there, Martyn?   I've been in Ga. about 16 years.  Formerly Alberta Canada.  I still miss the Rockies.

Edited to Add.  Atlanta weather has not been too bad really.  We live about 60 miles east of it.  That's close enough for me.  ;)

Loppylugs 

I’ve been in Memphis for abut 10 years, before that Little Rock, Houston and New Jersey / New York. I've been in the USA since December 1988.

When I was at sea we used to load timber from the west coast and BC for the far east. I love the Vancouver / Vancouver Island area.

• Like 2

Plenty of faults here...

Nobody prosecuted after the bank enquiry.

We all pay USC to bolster crooked country.

Basic dole for imigrants..€217.80 per week!

If Tipp town had an earthquake ..it would do about Two Million Euro of 

improvements!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Loppylugs 

I’ve been in Memphis for abut 10 years, before that Little Rock, Houston and New Jersey / New York. I've been in the USA since December 1988.

When I was at sea we used to load timber from the west coast and BC for the far east. I love the Vancouver / Vancouver Island area.

I left Nottingham in 71 for Toronto.  I think a lot of Brits go there first.  Moved on to Alberta.  Lived there for about 25 years and loved it.  Moved down here after my first wife died and I remarried a Tennessee gal.  Long story.  I don't miss the -30 winters too much, but I'm not keen on the humid 90s in the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2