St Ann's Documentary 1969.

Yes !! we did live in house's unfit for humans or so the council said. I look back at my life in St Ann's and feel very proud to have lived there. We had a very large allotment so we had our 4 a day plus what was left over went to the harvest festival at St Ann's church, my dad worked hard also my mum went to work but when you have good neighbours who looked after your children till you came home from work that's a community. If any one passed away on the street there was always a collection for flowers, If any elderly person was ill all neighbours would take it in turns to look after them. If a women gave birth all the women would help of cause the men had to help by wetting baby's head. We had a holiday every year also my dad and mum had a car, we did not have newspaper on the table not even on a nail in the loo, we had a cooked dinner every night and spent most weekend down the bridges. Saturday was washing and sweeping the front door step and collecting any rubbish out side your front door.

Which all the women used to do. My self and brothers all attended St Ann's Board school, my eldest bother joined the RAF at 14 and invented some form of radio equipment, my younger brother joined the Army, My self I served  3 year's  as an apprentice Hairdresser, then two more before  being qualified and later on studied beauty treatments was salon owner of 2 salon's then worked at BHC as hairdressing lecturer.  Four of my cousin's also became teacher's and the council said we had second rate education if we lived in St Ann's. 

Yes we did have cold bedroom's where ice did form on the windows inside YES!! we did have Jerry's under our beds YES!!! we did have a tin bath, YES!! we did have outside loo which every Saturday had a good scrub.

Like one or two of you have said this film was just made so they could get rid of St Ann's. Nottingham at the time had lots of these houses unfit to live in  not just St Ann's. 

ST ANN'S WAS A REAL COMMUNITY   !! PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE 

Now if you are from St Ann's after leaving school what Career Path did you go down? I think if the old council who said we had second rate education could read what happened to us they would be very surprised. 

I hope this has made it clear to some member's a little bit about St Ann's

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Just watched the St Ann's 1969 documentary again , mainly featuring 2 families living in poor conditions . I know it was political to justify demolition of the area but was struck by the honesty of one of the mums describing their situation. 

In the documentary Kath Churchill was describing how hard it was to get by, not having much money.

When searching to see if it had been discussed on here , a link came up to Kath , 50 years on now living Edwalton . She had split from her partner Geoff who appeared in the film in 1974. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/50-years-groundbreaking-documentary-showed-2605794.amp

David you are looking at the people not the housing (read my above post)  you lived to your means!!! If you came from Broadmarsh  or NarrowMarsh ST ANN'S houses were Luxury.  Look at the flim again it was enhance for the  people who made the film. It was not for the people who lived there, Take a look at Robin Hood Chase all big houses there. Guess who lived there ?? yes!!! Hopewells Family.

The houses up St Ann's where built to house workers by people with money. When you look around Nottingham what about the Meadows.  Just the same built by people with Money for the workers'

NOTHING EVERY CHANGES

Sorry didn't realise the original link didnt work . I was looking at it on the BFI site but it's the same film as is on the youtube that Stuart.C posted above without the intro .

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-st-anns-1969-online

Thanks for your reply David w  it is clear to me that you did not live in, or near St Ann's.  Do not tar us all with the same brush, Nottingham University made a flim about St Ann's at the time we had  just married and we could not afford to buy, One of my customer's who's  hair I styled tod me of an empty house near her, so we moved into a little house on Manning St. As I was from St Ann's born n' bred, I knew the area, while living there 2 students from Nottm Uni called and ask if they could do an interview with me. They Asked a lot of questions,   one question do you have a washing machine? yes I said 2nd question do you have a TV,  Yes I said again, I'm sorry they said you are too rich for our interview, and with that they left. What they did not know, Was!!! the washer was my mum;s old one has she had brought a new twin tub and the TV was not our's but we rented it from Reddifusion, 

SO THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS DON'T BELIVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU SEE ON TV OR OTHER PROGRAMS AND DON'T BELIVE ALLYOU HEAR.

If you watch the documentry on St Ann's look at the date of the film 1969 ??? when you see half the buidings that have been left as rubble this was phase one of St Ann's demolition. and most of the people had been rehoused and the houses had been borderd up. Where the wood is burning this is from the houses llready pulled down. 

As for two of the women in the film the first one had surgjcal  rubber gloves on to put coal on the fire. She is telling us that she finds it hard with little to feed her family so how did she afford thoes gloves? The Children what were there ages as four of them looked all the same age/. The other women I noticed had perfect manicured nails with very delicate nail polish on.   WELL talk about brain washing ?????

7 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Thanks for your reply David w  it is clear to me that you did not live in, or near St Ann's.  Do not tar us all with the same brush.....

Mary1947 I'm baffled by your comments and what I have said that irks you . The only reason I put the post up was to show one of those ladies featured , 50 years on.

I did live near St Ann's,  my wifes family had a grocers on St Anns Well Rd , her grandfather had a chip shop there too . All fine people .

My grandparents had a similar terraced house in Carlton , didn't have 2 farthings to rub together but their house and their neighbours were immaculate inside. 

• Like 1

HI David its the video that should never have been shown it should be scrapped to-me it doe's not show you anything of St Ann's.  We have our own site St Ann's pre demolition why not tell members to look at this site on our facebook page?   It's not you David its the vidio. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Like 1

Tell yer what st Anns pre demolition was good old bad old days , but we love getting mucky and climbing in those half demolitioned houses as kids , I have a photo of me with five kids oldies snowballs in our hands , all the other kids had woolly hats ,mittens and scarves on , except me !