Laskys hi-fi shop Lower parliament st

Does anyone remember Laskys (Hi-Fi and electrical shop) on lower parliament street? It was next to the Golden egg a very upmarket (NOT) café and the MIltons head pub. I worked in Laskys from 1975 -79. Various managers and staff come to mind including Luke Weiss, Graham Wells, Ash Taylor, Alison, Julie, Rex Coker, John, Hank, Andy, Tony, Jane.

I remember Graham and I borrowed luke's MG midget, one weekend and drove around Newstead abbey listening to pink Floyd with the roof down and the sun shining. Feels like yesterday even though it's forty years ago. Just brought a midget actually about the same age, it's obviously shrunk over the years though as it's a lot harder to get into than back then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember buying a Pioneer PL12D turntable from the side of the council house, Laskey's sounds familiar.

Already had the Pioneer tuner amp and some Rotel floor vibrating speakers ! also had a rather up market cassette deck but cannot remember the make or model.

Used to buy top of the range tapes from somewhere advertised in Exchange and Mart by the box full, and on sell them to mates at work.

I still have a Pioneer PL12d turntable, Se205 headphones, and SX636 Tuner amp, all bought from Comet Sandiacre in 1974.

The big Hi Fi shop I remember was next to Coop house on upper Parliament Street, what was that called, I thought that was Laskeys?

I bought a 'Javelin' 2 button (lw/mw) manual tune car radio from there around 1970.

The place to go for electronics in those days was Tottenham Court Road, London.

In those days I had the interest but not the money.

I rented a Hitachi colour TV from Lind-Air in 1974. It was so good I bought it off them when they pulled out of renting TV's.

Laskys moved to the side of the Council house in the early 80's it was actually brought out by Comet as I remember then closed down. The branch I am talking about is the original store that was next but one to Boots on parliament st. I joined there in 1975 and left in 1979 to work briefly a Jessops (John Lewis) in the hi-fi department (Briefly as in two weeks. then I moved to Greens (Now Currys digital).

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

That photo brings back some memories. It must have been 1977-78 and my old dad was very taken by the futuristic Commodore PET Lind- Air had on display.

Very prophetically, given how crude the PET was, he predicted big things for these new micro-computers

Curiously enough, there was a Lasky's on the corner of Sandringham Drive and Bankfield Drive in Bramcote.

I don't think it was there for very long.

It occupied the place where the Co-Op store had been. Itself a minor curiosity - built on the site because there had been a Co-Op mobile shop for Bramcote while the estate was being built.

Speaking of Lindair Audio on Upper Parliament Street, I can remember buying a Sinclair Micromatic radio kit from there. The salesman only had one arm.

Funny what sticks in your mind !

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Curiously enough, there was a Lasky's on the corner of Sandringham Drive and Bankfield Drive in Bramcote.

I don't think it was there for very long.

It occupied the place where the Co-Op store had been. Itself a minor curiosity - built on the site because there had been a Co-Op mobile shop for Bramcote while the estate was being built.

Speaking of Lindair Audio on Upper Parliament Street, I can remember buying a Sinclair Micromatic radio kit from there. The salesman only had one arm.

Funny what sticks in your mind !

I used to work at LindAir with the guy you bought your Sinclair from, his name was Ivan, who was also my best man at our wedding!

I thought they still had a store in London (Edgware Road), but Googling Laskys seems to indicate they went into receivership in 2012!

Before the store in Nottingham, I remember getting their mail-order catalogue for electronic parts!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
20 hours ago, IAN123. said:

s-l225.jpg

Top left of the ad'. I can see my old Rogers Cadet III amp.  First good quality amp I ever owned.  It lasted for years.  Can't quite see their price though even when I magnify it.  I think I paid about 37 pounds, but not at Lasky's

• 8 months later...

I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that catfan. I worked at Laskys from 1975 to 1979 and it was on lower Parliament street between where Urban outfitters and Boots are now, There was a cafe next door called the Golden Egg and the Miltons head Pub was nextdoor the other side. in the early 1980's Laskys were bought out by Comet, who kept the name for a while and the shop was moved to the building at the back of the Council house opposite Littlewoods. (presumably Primart now (I no longer live in Nottingham). 

I bought my hi-fi stuff from Laskys a little later than that, probably around 1984-85. It was under the Council House then opposite Primark.

• 2 years later...

I worked at Laskys on Saturdays for a while and just thought about Luke Weiss as a story about Broadmarsh Center in the New York Times made me think about Notts.  I was there in 1975 and part of 1976.   We used to go to a pub across the way early for toasted sandwiches and beer early.   Luke was a real character.  He loaned his MG to Graham quite often.   Fun to think back.  Many names on your list took me back. Hank was a good mate.  Blasting music from upstairs to sell speakers for their bass.