Notts Thursday league

back in the 60s when thursday was half day closing i played football for Notts Corinthians run by Redmayne and Todds,we played our home matches on the Embankment,i remember a few of the other teams like,City Police,county police,Forest colts can any of you recall the others cos iam blowed if i can

Well I've been deliberating all morning whether to give a reason for the footy team to be called Thursday Villains as I don't like mentioning folk by name, unless they're no longer on this Earth. But anyway ...... quite a few members of that team were 'barraboys' !!

Knew alot of the Barraboys in the 60s by sight,and if they didnt play football on thursday afternoons they could be found playing snooker on Goldsmith st, under ground club at the back of guardian newspaper building, can,nt remember the name of the club,was it Elston and Hopkins ?

speaking of snooker,does anyone know what the connection was between Burtons tailors and snooker? there was a snooker hall above or below Burtons on Carrington st and one above Burtons in Long Eaton,and during my travels 60/70s found the same combination in a few other Towns.

Mmmm Chrissie, what are you trying to say?!

A few years later 2 or 3 of them were key players in a Lincoln Prison team I understand :Shock:

could have known em,wont tell you how LIZZIE, slywink

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

You're dead right Ben.

I forgot all about the Corinthians. I too played for them. A couple of lads who went to the same school as me asked me to play for them. By the way I said Notts County Police played at Edwinstowe. I meant to say Epperstone, where they kept the police horses. I seem to remember the Football Post had a very good amateur section in their paper, full of league tables and various reports on matches sent in by the secretaries, who did a fine job for amateur football. We must have been on the same pitch at some time or another Ben.

Since I've joined this website I've remembered things that I had forgotten all about for about 50 years. Makes you feel old don't it mate!!

I DONT KNOW about same pitch more than likely same team,bloke from Redmaynes ran Corinthians think his name was Bostock,this would be 60 and 61,the only others i remember were stephenson whos family had hardware stores in Bulwell and my cousin Barry Hopkins who had trials for Forest

My brother played for Basford United and other teams but can't remember which, in the 60's

i must know your brother Ann,i had a couple of seasons with Basford unt about 69,tell him i knew Johnie Reynolds

NO photos Ann,but he will remember "Reynolds",he might also remember Park Tavern (arnold rd one) football team they played on uniteds ground when it moved to end of Bagnall rd,i played for them 70 to 76 and can reel all their names off even now.

Hi Benjamin I worked for Baker & Plumb in the 60's and we had a team that played in the Thursday League. Others I remember were Notts Fire Service, City Transport, City & County Police, NCS Dairy and Thursday Villa.

An anecdote to this story is that the warehouse manager who was also involved in running the team always made sure we had a delivery from Kossett Carpets on a Thursday morning, the reason being that the driver was an ex pro and he could turn out for us on a Thursday afternoon.

YES DAVE,there were some good players in the thursday league,i think the standard was higher than local weekend teams.

When I played for Wollaton Thursday most of the players worked in the old Central Market opposite the Palais. It used to be Thursday Half Day in Nottingham. I have a couple of team photos of Baker and Plumb and Wollaton Thursday but I am not clever enough to upload them to this site. Any ideas folks?