Notts Thursday league

Benjamin

My brother tells me he only played for Basford Utd for about a year and this would have been around 1960. He mentioned the ground on Mill St.

He also played for Mapperley Celtic, who he thinks were in the Notts Amateur Alliance, who played at King Georges Park, also Fearnley (not sure of spelling) and Bassetlaw, very briefly. The players he remembers at Basford Utd were Terry and Des Berresford and Mick Herrod, and thinks Des Berresford might have gone on to manage Ilkeston Town?

His best mate played for Bulwell Forest Villa.

My brother played cricket too - Nottingham Remnants( what a name!), who became Dorchester Club - the ground was at the back of Clarendon College somewhere.

Well i dont believe it Ann...............................no conections at all.................... :)

Benjamin

My brother tells me he only played for Basford Utd for about a year and this would have been around 1960. He mentioned the ground on Mill St.

He also played for Mapperley Celtic, who he thinks were in the Notts Amateur Alliance, who played at King Georges Park, also Fearnley (not sure of spelling) and Bassetlaw, very briefly. The players he remembers at Basford Utd were Terry and Des Berresford and Mick Herrod, and thinks Des Berresford might have gone on to manage Ilkeston Town?

His best mate played for Bulwell Forest Villa.

My brother played cricket too - Nottingham Remnants( what a name!), who became Dorchester Club - the ground was at the back of Clarendon College somewhere.

Hi Ann I lived a few doors down from Des Berresford on Yatesbury Crescent and his son Clive used to knock around with Mark Wootton

I remember Des was involved in football but not sure which club he was associated with

• 1 year later...

I played for the Old Co-op Dairy in the Thursday league. Wasn't there a rule at one time that if you played in the Thursday League you could not play on a Saturday -- or did they tell me that 'cus I was a crap player?

NO.......and .................YES :biggrin: ..........................What years did you play?

I reckon I played in the 60s - I also played for Bridgford Rovers and formed Nottingham Argyle. I used to keep goal on a Saturday and played centre forward onm a sunday. I finished playing and took up refereeing highest game I did was Aston Villa against Glasgow Rangers - pre season on Villa Training ground. I met up with my hero Jimmy who was then a scout for Derby County and what a chat we had - after that I did not need playing!!!!

Nice one Parmitage' i played for Notts Corinthians early 60s then many others on Sat. and Sundays right up till mid 80s,our paths must have crossed a few times,some old mates of mine were local Ref's in the same era, George Toon,Dave Eastwood,Colin Weatherall and Nev Olpin,.....good days in Local football.

I reckon I played in the 60s - I also played for Bridgford Rovers and formed Nottingham Argyle. I used to keep goal on a Saturday and played centre forward onm a sunday. I finished playing and took up refereeing highest game I did was Aston Villa against Glasgow Rangers - pre season on Villa Training ground. I met up with my hero Jimmy who was then a scout for Derby County and what a chat we had - after that I did not need playing!!!!

Hi Parmitage I played for Baker and Plumb in the mid sixties had some great times. Did you know Pete Stephenson and Graham Allen who I believe played for Nottingham Argyle ?

On the theme of referees did you know Martin Jephson?

Hi Dave

Yes yes yes I knew both Peter and Graham as they p[layed in my Junior team also Steve Ashdown.

I did a little refereeing in Nottingham but mainly here in Tamworth but the name Martin Jephson rings a bell.

My Mum and I rang the teams from Nottingham Argyle from under 10s up to seniors one of the senior players Colin Locke also went on to take up reffing.

Best wishes

Peter

Hi Peter, I knocked about with both Graham and Steve Ashdown as a kid and we stayed friends until after getting married and then we all went our separate ways.

Pete Stephenson was going out with Graham's sister at the time.

My youngest son and Martins son played together for Parkhead from under 9s to under 16s and they were managed by Barry Wealthall ex Forest.

P.S. Pete Stephenson is a member on Nottstalgia.

Hi Dave

I used to work at Viyella on Castle Boulevard with Carol - Steve Ashdown's sister - funny when I think back I used to fancy her but never asked her out. We used to live on Wimbourne Road at Radford. Ah happy days

Hi there,

Funny how names crop up and link to other people kind of out of the blue. Steve used to live at Broxtowe and we moved up there too. 85 I was refereeing but in Tamworth