Some you love some you hate,when i began travelling the country in the 60s i was fascinated to hear all the different twangs,even around nottm,ie sneinton and meadows so different from bulwell and hucknall,and then mansfield,well another pplanet in the 60s,.Not so different nowa days but it was then. Then moving further afield,Birmingham,Manchester,Newcastle,Liverpool ,i was enthralled.To me thats what makes the UK so interesting,and i love to hear ethnic minorities with the local accent,for instance a Sikh with a broad Brummy one,.Is it me or do you find it interesting?

• Upvote 1

When I was about 19, apprentice at Clifton Colly, I was sent on an advanced apprentice course, we had several a year at the training centre at Hucknall.

We had a young feller join us, Indian and he was waiting for a position at Cotgrave, but the local union lodge wouldn't allow blacks or Indians/Pakistanis back then, pre equal employment Acts..

The instructor introduced us all, and as soon as he opened his mouth, he had us all in tears, here was an Indian with the broadest Barnsley accent anyone had ever heard.

Anyway, the NCB decided not to provoke a walkout at Cotgrave, and assigned the lad to Clifton Colliery..

His first shift was on nights where I was, regular nights with me, he got the same responce from the staff there...it was comical.

Not only the UK has regional accents, Australia does, I could at one time tell you if an Aussie came from Melbourne, Sydney, West Oz, Queensland or Tassie, they all sounded different to my ears. Even over here, USA, there are a broad range of accents, even down to regional accents within states.

Last place I worked in the UK in North Yorks, we had lads from all over, Edinburgh, Glasgow, North Derbyshire, South Yorks, west Yorks, Northumberland, County Durham, Wales, Notts Leicestershire, etc..

• Upvote 2

If you ever get the chance, listen to Sylvain Guintoli, who races motorcycles in World Superbikes.

Born and bred in France, he married a girl from Leicester, lives near Donington Park, and now speaks with a combination of French and East Mids accents.

• Upvote 1

Born and dragged up in Nottinum, lived in North Yorks for 4 1/2 years, lived in Australia for ten years lived in California and Missouri for almost 25 years, what would my accent sound like???

Mick's talked to me over the phone, so maybe he could comment further...LOL

unlike most people i like the the Brummy accent and find them very humourus,a couple of years ago i made friends with a Brummy on holiday he had just retired,i asked him what he used to do,HIS REPLY,i was a cornsithere,A WHAT,i asked,HE SAID AGAIN A cornsithere,WHAT THE HELLS THAT? i asked,HE SAID I WORKED IN A THEATRE AND I USED TO TELL PEOPLE YOU CANT SIT HERE, :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

When I was living in Aberdeen, many moons ago, I received a series of phone calls from someone who I referred to as "Percy the pervert". They didn't frighten me but I got a bit fed up eventually and was worried that one of my daughters might pick up the phone when he rang, so I called the police.

The funniest part was when I was asked "Is he Scottish?"

"Yes",

"Which part of Scotland does he come from?"

"pardon?"

"By his accent, tell us which part of Scotland he comes from"

"Sorry he sounded Scottish, all sounds the same to me, I'm English!"

• Upvote 1