Interesting that you mention Watford Gap - there is a village or hamlet of this name just off the road between Birmingham and Lichfield - not sure whether it is the only one - but that is a long way north of Watford, and could quite reasonably be regarded (by some folks) as the divide between north and south !

Michael I had the same reservations about the Scots before we went to live up there but they were ill founded. We were welcomed with open arms and accepted as their own with very few exceptions. I used to finish late turn as a bus conductor and later driver sometimes as late as 11pm. After arriving home after midnight on a Friday or Saturday there would be a knock on the door and an invite to a party in one of the tenement flats. Help with dealing with the funny Scottish laws was always readily available and locals always wanted to chat about England.

As for the south. I acquired a few acquaintances from the London area who were no different from the people in Nottingham. I even had a girlfriend in Guildford in Surrey whose parents were extremely rich but accepted me no problem at all.

• Upvote 1

Fact is that it's a few southern oiks, or Scottish rabble-rousers who get all the rest a bad name. I guess there might even be a few Nottinghamian bad apples...

NEVER ! :)

• Upvote 3

humour makes the world go round,i am sure if people saw the funny side of life more often it would be a better place,shame its not taught in school. ive found humourous people all over the country. even in yorkshire :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

A few years ago i jumped a red light under the m1 at Tinsley viaduct ,i was talking to my passenger and just not paying attention,the police pulled me straight away,they had me bang to rights,while sat in the police car i said,yes guilty i was just telling my mate ive worked up here in Sheffield alot and the people are really nice,AYE SAID THE COPPER,BUT WE: ARE FROM ROTHERHAM

• Upvote 1

Living near Chester, just inside the Welsh border was interesting. Travelling round Wales and working with some Welsh, I found the North Walians didn't like the South Walians and vice versa. In many cases, the Welsh didn't like anyone from England.

Having lived in Devon for 10 years, you might appreciate this one. After nationalisation of the railways, people started to get promotions that took them out of their previous region, and this was looked on with distaste by staff who had been accustomed to local advancement within their own station, yard or branch line. This was particularly so in remote rural areas, where opportunities to "get on" were few and far between. So, when the Station Master at a branch line station somewhere in South Devon retired, the "shock horror" news broke that an outsider was being appointed as his replacement. "Iz 'ee from up norrrth then?" one porter asked. "Oh arr - so oi understand," replied the booking clerk. "Pretty farr norrrth.....Barnstaple, oi've 'earrrd!"

• Upvote 3

#33 Even though i was fined £60 i thought it was funny,the coppers reminded me of the two in LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE, one of my favourite progs. :biggrin:

• 4 years later...