Even in the 70's the local deliveries were by horse and cart and the horse knew exactly which route to take and when to stop for delivery. The big white shire horses knew exactly the route back to the brewery so often the draymen would nod off.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Robbie. I look forward to sharing your memories.

My father used to drive for Shipstones for a time in the late 40s, early 50s and I remember he and I were coming back in our car from somewhere out in the countryside one afternoon when he saw two Shippos trucks parked in a lay-by. He went back as he had recognised the drivers and they spent some time chatting away.

I was told to stay in the car but still remember to this day one of the Shippos' men bringing me a small bottle of beer to drink.

My brother in law was a coach builder who worked on Shippo's lorries and his dad was a Shippo's driver before he went as a bin driver for the Council.

On one route the last drop was Ma Taylors corner shop on the junction of Rosetta Road and Suez Street by the time the dray arrived the chaps were pretty much well 'bladdered'. I only lived 3 doors away and used to sit on the back steps to watch the performance. Even the wheels weren't chocked, but the shires just took the weight, the go signal to the horse's was the second draymen's bum hitting the seat.

• Upvote 2

On the way to the canteen we would pass the shires in the loose boxes that wasn't delivering, they were big. I can't remember how many the brewery had at the time when l worked there but l do remember the star shire was called Captain.

Hi Robbie, my pal was Adrian West, I can't remember the dates he worked for Shippoes/Greenalls, but he was probably there sometime during the period 1974 to 78. To recall, I replaced Ade as junior assistant at Royle and Whitehorn when he went off and attempted to hitch hike around the world. He came back and worked for Dowty, drawing pit props, then he came back to R & W, where he was involved in pub interior design for the Home Brewery while I concentrated on NCC schools. Then he went to Henry Mein Assocs, then Shippoes, this must have been around the time I left Nottingham which was Nov 1976. We're still in touch, I owe him a phone call, pm me your name and I'll pass it on.

Hi Robbie, my pal was Adrian West, I can't remember the dates he worked for Shippoes/Greenalls, but he was probably there sometime during the period 1974 to 78. To recall, I replaced Ade as junior assistant at Royle and Whitehorn when he went off and attempted to hitch hike around the world. He came back and worked for Dowty, drawing pit props, then he came back to R & W, where he was involved in pub interior design for the Home Brewery while I concentrated on NCC schools. Then he went to Henry Mein Assocs, then Shippoes, this must have been around the time I left Nottingham which was Nov 1976. We're still in touch, I owe him a phone call, pm me your name and I'll pass it on.

Hi Still getting used to this site. I have deleted my earlier reply. I will send you a private message as requested.