Great pictures, bought back some memories of seeing them in the Basford/Bulwell area on the 50's/60's, bright red lorries, seem to remember seeing an old steam wagon once but not sure, all their lorries were spotless when they were on the roads

"Always use Foden lorries" and they did

Rog

The 1st & 5th photo, The same lorry? Was not a Foden it was a Sentinel.

And picture 3 was a Dennis.

Lovely pics from a past age, like it or loath it, Shippo's was our own, destroyed by Greenhall Whitley from Warrington, themselves now consigned to the dustbin of history. Home Ales, taken over and shut down by Scottish and Newcastle, Mansfield Ales, needlessly destroyed for profit by who eventually became Coors, Hardy Hansons, shut down by those evil, scheming b******s Greene King in order that they could sell off the unwanted pubs to the equally evil scum Tesco as unmarked mini stores, always controversial and highly expensive, have nothing to do with these filth and they'll all go out of business, hopefully.

• Upvote 7

Added to Pete's post, I heard that when Shippos brewery in Basford closed, cellars in houses started flooding as the brewery used so much water from artesian wells the closure actually caused the water table to rise. I don't know if this is true.

Added to Pete's post, I heard that when Shippos brewery in Basford closed, cellars in houses started flooding as the brewery used so much water from artesian wells the closure actually caused the water table to rise. I don't know if this is true.

Quite true !

The barmaid @ The Chesterfied, Shelford gave me a sample of guest ale Shipstones the other day.

I didnt like it and left half of it, continued with my pint of Castle Rock 'Elsie Mo'

I had the last pint of Shippo in the 70s @ the Loggerheads, it was superb.

Saying all this, I do miss the big quart bottles of Shippos Brown Ale we used to take to parties. A convenient way of stocking up.

A small digression - Did anyone of you people ever collect beer mats. I had a huge collection of several thousand before I gave them all away. I used to write to breweries for them. I must have had loads from breweries that don't exist any more.

The 1st & 5th photo, The same lorry? Was not a Foden it was a Sentinel.

ISTR in the latter years they used Leylands; presumably one of the reasons being that in those days Foden didn't offer a suitable chassis, having gone mainly into artics and multi-axle rigids.

Found this on t'web;

shippoOs3_zpsbc62ab5a.jpg

• Upvote 1

When the Star Brewery closed my mate worked at the architects office and rescued quite a lot of stuff for me that I still have. Notable items include a large framed photo of the founder that hung in the directors office, a marked up Shipstones leather document folder and sets of large company transfers that were applied along the sides of the wagons that had clearly not been applied to the Leyland shown above. Does anyone know what happened to the horse drawn carts, the one used by our local brewery Ridley's is now on display in the Greene King brewery at Bury St Edmunds a cheeky epitaph to a brewery bought up, shut down and resigned to the scrapheap for profit.

I actually quite liked Shippoes, it had a very bitter acquired taste, where the hell did this guest beer that you were offered come from Mick, Bury St Edmunds?

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The last black & white shot was of a brand new Shippo's Foden which was used by a bunch of Nottingham High School lads (and a few masters) to drive across Europe. Think "Summer Holiday" only with beer and tents. And no girls, or for that matter Cliff and the Shadows.

There were 3 or 4 lorry trips in the 60s, the 1965 team have just had a reunion at the High School. Free (Old Dalby) Shippos apparently. As somebody said, beer is the secret of happiness and longevity. I don't think he meant old style Shippo's though, that stuff all too often had the tang of Basford Gasworks! Remember the song to the tune of "Men of Harlech"?

"All the men of Shipstones Brewery

Drink stale ale and f**t like fury"

Tee hee.

• Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...

When the Star Brewery closed my mate worked at the architects office and rescued quite a lot of stuff for me that I still have. Notable items include a large framed photo of the founder that hung in the directors office, a marked up Shipstones leather document folder and sets of large company transfers that were applied along the sides of the wagons that had clearly not been applied to the Leyland shown above. Does anyone know what happened to the horse drawn carts, the one used by our local brewery Ridley's is now on display in the Greene King brewery at Bury St Edmunds a cheeky epitaph to a brewery bought up, shut down and resigned to the scrapheap for profit.

I actually quite liked Shippoes, it had a very bitter acquired taste, where the hell did this guest beer that you were offered come from Mick, Bury St Edmunds?

I worked in the architects department between 1969-74 and 1974-78. I would be interested who your mate was and when he worked there. When l was there Bill Stovin-Bradford was the chief architect and his 2nd in command was Ron Marriott.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Robbie. I look forward to sharing your memories.

My father used to drive for Shipstones for a time in the late 40s, early 50s and I remember he and I were coming back in our car from somewhere out in the countryside one afternoon when he saw two Shippos trucks parked in a lay-by. He went back as he had recognised the drivers and they spent some time chatting away.

I was told to stay in the car but still remember to this day one of the Shippos' men bringing me a small bottle of beer to drink.

Thanks for the welcome Trevor S. I used to know some of the drivers, l would often have a pint with them in the Scotholme at lunch time. I also remember my mate and l getting a lift on the back of a delivery lorry hanging onto the side chains from the brewery to the goose fair site on the forest. It wouldn't happen nowadays because of health and safety. I also remember those draymen and drivers, the quanity of ale the could drink, a pint at each pub they delivered to.

• Upvote 1