Fascinating map DJ360 but once again poses more questions than it answers

1 Has Linby Lane become Linby Road?

2 When did Hayden Lane become so built up?. It used to be really countrified with fields on both sides.

3 Is George Street Working Mens Club still located on George Street and still the relatively small building I used to drink in 58 years ago?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading benjamin1945's post (#1), it reminded me of a post I put on a couple of years ago regarding days out. We were always out during the summer months. As a kid living in the Meadows almost everyo

Let’s get this ‘Day Trip’ topic back on track as I’m old enough to remember when half the back page of the E.Post listed all the different rail trips available that weekend. (full page at Bank holiday

Standard Of England pub, Park Lane,Basford,     Three generations of David's family in the old 2nd left is David's great grandmother Hannah Oldham, 3rd left David's grandmother Mary Lane (always

I`ve just noticed Palmer Avenue on the bottom of DJ360`s map.The Tebbs brothers, both of whom were Mellish boys, lived at the bottom of Palmer Avenue and although I visited the house several times, I don`t remember the large area of green shown. The Tebbs owned a Tandam  Bike and I can still remember sitting on the back and trying to steer with  handle bars which were locked in position and not designed to steer.Weird. John Tebbs elected to learn to play the Cello whilst at the Mellish and credit to him, used to lug an instrument almost as tall as himself to school and back once a week on the Trent Bus.  

Hi GD I asked my wife, a Maltby,  born in Hucknall Allen street, she knew a Sandy Staton and believes she is still about.  As for George Street Club  she tells me the original was between Allen Street and George Street, a new one was built on the junction of St Marys Way and George street in the 70s early 80s. they started building Hayden Lane in the early 70s and have recently started building more in that area. Also in that area if you can remember as you went down Wigwam Lane there was on the left football pitches and general playing fields our local Council sold some of the land off and houses are now on there.

Strange you should ask about the change of name to Linby Road I have always known it as Linby Lane , so I checked on google earth and it is now as you say Linby Road.

GD I was confused re Linby lane and road so I looked on Google Earth and Linby Lane starts on the outskirts of Linby Village and ends at the crossroads at Paplewick.    Linby Road starts from the junction of Station road , where the station Hotel is, have you had a drink in there, and proceeds down towards where Linby Pit was , where it changes to Church Lane where the old railway crossing was. Hope that helps.

I drank in the George Street Club during my late teens. They were a typical club of the period,one arm bandits,bingo and turns at the weekend. What was unusual was that they issued brass tokens with their initials stamped on them to the value of every thing you bought from behind the bar.Once a year, based on profit, they would declare a dividend and you would redeem your tokens for a cash payout. I do remember the Playing Fields on Wigwam lane but also remember a business on the right hand side. The company hired and erected marquees and was owned by a family called Cordon,the young son being in my class at Hucknall National School. The company existed for some considerable time but was I understand, burnt down by some disgruntled employee. I did indeed drink and play darts badly in the Station Hotel. Whilst I cannot remember what the stretch of road between the Hotel and the end of the rec was called, I know for sure the lane and it was a lane, that ran from the end of the rec to Linby village was during my formative years called Linby Lane  Would you do me a courtesy and ask your wife if the Cricket Club and Football club, both of which were on Linby Lane are still there and if not what happened to them. .

GD I am not a sports fan so I don't pay much attention , but I recall the cricket ground was sold to developers some years ago and houses built. The cricket club moved to a new ground , if you look on google earth and follow Hayden Lane to the end of the houses you can see a track carrying on towards Linby , the new ground is up there on the left. They do have a facebook page with photos on it. Hope that helps.

Sorry to the ADMINS we seem to have changed the subject of this thread, it would be better on the mucky uckna page.

Let’s get this ‘Day Trip’ topic back on track as I’m old enough to remember when half the back page of the E.Post listed all the different rail trips available that weekend. (full page at Bank holidays)  As a railway fireman I also worked on quite a few, the first one I remember was Easter Sunday 1950 when the Ilkeston Labour Party  ran a trip from Ilkeston (run round the train via Bennerly Junc.) to Rhyl. Nth. Wales. 10 coaches  & a ‘Black 5’  in charge. Bit of a ‘hic up’ at Crewe as no conductor to Rhyl waiting , 20 minutes before one turned up looking forward to the overtime he would be on! Nice day at Rhyl (muddy beach?) but had to go in the Conservative Club for a drink as the Pubs were shut on Sundays! On the return we dropped the conductor off at Crewe quite ‘chuffed’ with his ‘soft’13 hours at Sunday rate whilst we arrived back at Ilkeston just after 12.00 then ’empty stock’ back to Nottingham for a 22 hour shift! But the day trip that sticks in my mind was the first match of the 1959 football  season, Forest at Blackpool and Jayne Mansfield switching on the Illuminations, which in those days went all along the seafront. 3 trains going but 1 was a summer train not returning until Sunday afternoon. We were the 2nd. excursion picking up at most Erewash stations to Codnor then over Butterly, Ambergate etc. and a conductor again from M’chester into Blackpool. Not due back until 11.50pm so my driver went to the match whilst I went to bed for a couple of hours. We still had time for a stroll onto the seafront to see the lights switch on when this big black car stopped in front of us, I couldn’t see the back seat passengers face due to the roof line but, believe me, Jayne Mansfields claim to a 44”bust was no exaggeration!  Management knew from the tickets sold that 2 trains couldn’t manage the number of day trippers so had “arranged” a duplicate to us, unfortunately given our same number & timing. So at 11.50 pm we sat & watched him leave, then backing onto ‘our’ train we told the station foreman of the ‘probable’ error only to be forcibly told to      P---Off”, he’d been on duty 12 hours and he’d dealt with 33 extra trains that afternoon! Passing thro’ M’chester the conductor shouted “you are Nottm. men aren’t you ‘cos somebody was flashing a light back there”! Too late to stop we carried on about 4 miles to where the conductor was due to leave us anyway and there in front of us was the duplicate train with the relief crew to Nottingham now 4 miles behind! With hindsight only one train should have been late into Nottingham but that night 2 trips had a longer ‘day trip’ than expected. So did we as by the time we got back, took the train to the sidings & returned to the Loco it was 8 am, over 26 hours after signing on on Saturday morning!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2