• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading benjamin1945's post (#1), it reminded me of a post I put on a couple of years ago regarding days out. We were always out during the summer months. As a kid living in the Meadows almost everyo

Let’s get this ‘Day Trip’ topic back on track as I’m old enough to remember when half the back page of the E.Post listed all the different rail trips available that weekend. (full page at Bank holiday

Standard Of England pub, Park Lane,Basford,     Three generations of David's family in the old 2nd left is David's great grandmother Hannah Oldham, 3rd left David's grandmother Mary Lane (always

I knew Graham Standbrige Trogg and his brother Ray,,also some sisters all gingers wer'nt they,,they lived on Andover but not up a ''cul de sac'',,?

• Like 1

Went to school with Osborne minor, but buggered if I can remember his name. I do remember the chip shop shack now you've mentioned it, Ben. Better remember the two corner shops on Park Lane, the lower one a beer off. Spent most of my church collection money in them.

• Like 1

The first cul de sacs I came across were Hugesson Avenue and Edmund Grove at the bottom of Oakenhall Avenue in Hucknall. They were both signed as 'cul de sac' underneath the name.

The people who lived in both of these considered themselves superior (posher) than the inhabitants of Oakenhall Avenue although everyone lived in the close shadows of the tips (spoil heaps) of Bottom Pit - and there wasn't much posh about that!

So I reckon Bestwood Estate was unique:

1 Arch  (Marble)

1 Crossing  (Southglade)

2 Closes (Gainsford and Raymede)

2 'Steps' (Raymede)

2 'Cul De Sacs' (Andover)

1 'Bankings' (Raymede-Leybourne)

1 Small area of allotments (Off Eardley Rd)  Now lock up garages.

Also, a couple of odd bits of derelict/isolated land and at least one strange building. (Sub station?)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ValuerJim said:

Wasn't Bendigo's ring somewhere around there?

We don't like to talk about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Stan Lownes ,,related to me mate,, got same Grandkids (don't ask lol )....my Granddaughter is 19 now and a lovely lass,, Air-hostess very soon,, devoted to Peggy Stans Mrs,,..strange thing is my Grandma was a Lownes before marrying my Grandad Jackson. complicated in it  lol.

Joey Griffiths lovely lad,, knew him well,, but was more a mate of my younger brother,,still see his sister Beryl,,,married to Ricky who is half Mexican.......great chap and a real good looker,, never had a look in with Beryl........i did try.......lol.

No its a small world Ian,,and good that we can reminisce on here,, Like some people think of Stan as a villain its good to put the other side,,ive mentioned before he had some banter with me before i knew he was remotely related,, if i hadn't answered in the way i did he'd have probably decked me.

Like to think i can hold my own in all sorts of company conversation wise,,from your Bestwood mafia to the doors of Westminster,, and have done so,,    i never put folk down and neither get carried away with folk who are up their own ass.............

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Heathfield and Park Tavern most clients frequented both,, Stan was singing in the Heathfield one night flat cap etc,,told him he was rubbish and i'm off to the Tavern''.................he got me later and made me buy him and Dickie Bird the drummer a pint.........which i gladly did,,.......lol,,,,

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

There was a Black Pad that ran from the top of Carlingford Rd in Hucknall along the back of Linby Pit and came out near to Linby Station. An alley way up north here is a ginnel, a small hill a brew and a buzz part of the public transport system. 

I remember that black pad. It was surfaced with small coal pieces (hence the 'black'). Part way along were allotments where some old fella grew tobacco. It really stunk in the autumn when the plants had died off and were drying in the sun.

14 hours ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

There was a Black Pad that ran from the top of Carlingford Rd in Hucknall along the back of Linby Pit and came out near to Linby Station. An alley way up north here is a ginnel, a small hill a brew and a buzz part of the public transport system. 

Map here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0451275,-1.2044131,972m/data=!3m1!1e3

Carlingford Rd leading to what is now called 'Linby Walk'  I suspect it's the old Black Pad that I used to walk up to get to Linby when I was at mining college and attached to Linby Colliery.  'Linby Walk' now leads to a newish looking industrial area which could well be on the site of the old Linby Colliery, though it seems to go under the railway and I don't recall that.  A long time ago. 1965.

• Like 1

Linby Walk is the route of the Black  Pad  it ran from the top of Carlingford  Road straight to the railway line. From there the path use to cross the tracks and go into the Linby Pit site. From the point where it crossed the rail line it ran next to the rail line till it met Wighay Road . I use to live on Carlingford Road and early in the morning you could hear the miners walking up the road to go on the day shift.  The area named as The Ranges    was the tip for the spoil from Linby Pit.                                           

• Like 2