Chinese Lanterns ( Now called Sky Lanterns ) For or Against

I was mindlessly watching 'Countryfile' last night and one of the two non-moron presenters raised this topic.

So what do you think, should they be banned, has anyone had good or bad experiences of these things. The problem with Lanterns is like anything else, used responsibly, like over the sea, fine, but people just don't think about the consequences of their actions.

A couple of years ago we were staying at a very packed campsite in Norfolk during August Bank Holiday, it was clearly stated that Chinese Lanterns were banned, so, of course, some knobheads ignored this and were letting them go over the site, they were landing on bloody tents for Christsake and they were bursting into flames, not that it stopped the ejeets that were doing this, the police were called, but,as usual, did nowt, had it affected me I would have shoved the bloody things up their irresponsible backsides.

I woke up one morning to find my front lawn lawn torched and a burnt out lantern lying next to our car, we got away with it, but just over from us we have a nature reserve, arable fields, cattle, but the good folk of Braintree still let them go, they just don't care. People don't consider what these things can do, they should, but don't, or want to, that's the problem, what are your opinions on this.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't call it a rant, colly0410. I agree with everything you, firbeck and Cliff Ton have stated and can remember a case where some horses were burnt to death when a Chinese Lantern landed on a barn. I find it strange that Councils, who normally like to ban everything, didn't ban them years ago.

• Upvote 1

At Skegness about five years ago, we bought some Lanterns from a 'Car Boot' sale. They were a new thing to us and we didn't know the danger they could cause. We were told by the seller not to let them go over the sea as they can be mistaken for SOS flares, which sounded sensible to us, so we brought them home and let them go over the houses. Knowing what we know now, with danger of fires and also the injuries inflicted on wildlife and all animals when the frames get tangled in their necks and limbs, we would never buy anymore. We firmly believe they should be banned. What a price to pay for a few moments pleasure.

• Upvote 1

We believe they should be banned. Whilst working in Scarborough in 2012 they were set off on a regular basis from Scarborough castle, which was fine if the wind was in the right direction, but they didn't seem to take this into account as on two occasions they blew inland and landed in our campsite. Luckily missing peoples tents and awnings, but what if.........?

There was a case a couple of years ago of my son in laws industrial unit being set alight by one, fortunately caught in time and not too much damage done, but how long before loss of life occurs through indiscriminate use of them

We had some given to us as a gift and I'm afraid to say they have been disposed of thoughtfully, in the bin!!

• Upvote 1

I totally agree, they should be Banned, before more damage is done. We even had some near misses just trying to light them. With not being a camper i had not thought about the obvious danger to the Tent sites. We had some lanterns left, but they went in the bin after my Husband nearly burnt himself trying to get one to go up in the air. I'm sure they won't be missed for long if they are Banned.

• Upvote 1

They should definitely be banned, not being subject to some wishy washy voluntary restrictions on how to use the ridiculous things. I will of course be branded a killjoy by those selfish people who have every right to have a good time and hang the consequences of their actions on anyone else.

Mind you, I am also in favour of banning those awful fireworks which are nothing other than ariel explosives which a lot of people seem to regard as such fun! Grrrrr...

• Upvote 2

Yes I would agree with most and should be banned. we ban most things what can cause a danger to life and property and lanterns no exception. we have to look at the divided line between harmless fun and the harm caused by these lanterns which is now evident enough that lanterns are causing more harm then good.

Ban them. I notice Tom doom and gloom Heap called them Sky Lanterns, I immediately jumped up and bawled " For f**ks sake don't we want to offend the Chinese now, something else with a new name" Ban them, there are too many people in this country making a bloody fortune importing 5hit from China. Typical of the BBC not wanting to be seen to take sides. Spineless twerps.

Pete you have found a mate in my missis. She hates them and agrees with you, ok if used responsibly but there are too many idiots around for them to be sold and used by just anybody.

They are used at weddings quite a bit over here, in the beginning I had no opinion about them at all, until the night one landed in a straw yard in the village, killing a farmers cattle, now I want them banned...

• Upvote 1

'Blue Peter', oops, sorry, 'Countryfile', wanted people to e-mail them with their opinions on the subject. I've done that, contacted the BBC and referred them to this page on this Forum, I've had a positive response back to say they will look into it, so, any further comments on the matter, for, or even against a ban, would be greatly appreciate.

Meanwhile, I've been sniffing about and can't find anyone in favour of Chinese Lanterns. Tomorrow night I have a meeting of our nature reserve committee including members of Braintree District Council and possibly Essex County Council, I shall seek their opinions on this matter and report in on Thursday.

• Upvote 2

I seem to remember commenting on another forum that our wonderful politicians will no doubt introduce legislation...After a few years of consultations,meetings,and the consumption of 5,000 litres of Perrier water.And of course a couple of jollies to see how other countries handle the problem....ie Fiji and the Maldives :rolleyes:

I suspect they will get banned here pretty soon - and they may already be in some states. We see a lot of them down at the beach in the summer. Provided the wind is off-shore, they let them be, but if the wind is even vaguely on-shore, the park rangers put a stop to it immediately (the beach in Pentwater is part of a State Park).

For the most part, once the danger is explained to the folk setting them off, they go "Oh, I didn't realise" and stop without further trouble. It amazes me how little people THINK!