All my favourite tv comedy is from times past,last of summer wine,fools and horses,porridge,dads army,are you being served,likely lads,etc, i just dont get present day humour. am i just a miserable old git,or dont they make funny any more,is it me or am i really too old, how do you feel/? are over 60s catered for?

• Upvote 3

I don't know about in the UK, but US 'comedy' is atrocious. Aimed at the young, and with canned laughter. Can't beat the old UK comedies, we get a bunch of them on Saturday nights on Public Telly. Well, I say 'old' not Porridge or anything of that era, more's the pity.

• Upvote 1

In the 1970s people probably complained that the "new" programmes like Fools and Horses or Porridge weren't funny like the good old days of Whacko or Rag Trade. Most of that old stuff I don't find particularly funny.

I still rate the old Spike Milligan Q series and I grew up on Python, but I also like recent material like the current Vic & Bob programme, and for me the best comedy of recent times was Green Wing on Channel 4 a couple of years ago.

I think out of the newish stuff 'Outnumbered' and 'Not going out' are damn funny,and as far as American humour...I found 'Soap' some 20 odd years ago funny,and the 'Golden Girls' was very well written.

Old wasn't always so good...Father Dear Father,On the Buses,George and Mildred,Terry and June spring to mind.

Even Monty Python...although some sketches were hilarious, the rest was run of the mill college humour fit for teenagers.

Out of all of them,one I can watch over and over is 'Ever Decreasing Circles' with Richard Briers. A man who could completely take over a character, and have you forget you were watching an actor.....brilliant!

• Upvote 2

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister. Open All Hours. Dads Army. Morecome and Wise. The Two Ronnies. Porridge. Are you being served. Hancock's Half hour. Keeping Up Appearances. The Thin Blue Line. The Likely Lads. One Foot in the Grave. Black Adder. Red Dwarf. Dick Emery. Eric Sykes. Monte Python's Circus - loved em all!

Although me favourite comedy was on the radio:

The Goons, Hancock's Half Hour, The Navy Lark, Round the Horne (Beyond Our Ken), Parsley Sidings.

Mind you, what's on offer nowadays I don't know, not having a TV now - but I don't think I'm missing much?

TTFN

• Upvote 3

Love watching re runs of "last of the summer wine" Still amazingly funny.

I think Summer wines funniest period was when the third character was Foggy...the scripts gradually went downhill afterwards even with the excellent Jean Alexanders Auntie Wainwright and the wonderful part played by Thora Hird.

Who the heck thought Bert Kwouk would fit in with the other characters God only knows. It was certainly the right time to pack it in,before the canned laughter machine broke down.

• Upvote 1

Yes Foggy was brilliant, but Truly was very dry. I liked Keith Clifford as Billy Hardcastle. Great one liners . Never could stand Russ Abbott. Talentless twat.

I think Summer wines funniest period was when the third character was Foggy...the scripts gradually went downhill afterwards even with the excellent Jean Alexanders Auntie Wainwright and the wonderful part played by Thora Hird.

Who the heck thought Bert Kwouk would fit in with the other characters God only knows. It was certainly the right time to pack it in,before the canned laughter machine broke down.

i think it got better,bert kwouk from the magical east HULL, :laugh: ,we all see things differently dont we,poohbear,

I agree Benjamin, Bert's character added another aspect to the team. Again, great one liners and I loved his truck. I also liked the two coppers, brilliant. Right from day one, the series was filled with great actors.

• Upvote 1

yes great one liners,Peter Sallis (cleggie)on being accused of messing with Marina (dillying) , I NEVER DILLIED I NEVER EVEN DALLIED :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The cast of Summer Wine have also taken pasting in recent years, Frank Thornton, Thora Hird, Tony Capstick, Kathy Staff, Brian Wilde, and they're the recent ones.

Let's look at the BBC's current top 'Comedy' shows:-

'Mrs Browns Boys' a totally stupid show, based around a ridiculous Irish transvestite that relies for comedy on the constant use of the F word, hah, f#####g hah.

'Miranda', a tall gawky unfunny twat that gets her laughs from constantly falling over, how hilarious.

The only comedy show we love is 'Benidorm' the last series just sadly come to an end. It's not something you can tap into and appreciate, you have to have got to know the characters from the beginning, look out for early series replays, and regret the loss of Johnny Vegas and his mum, we cry with laughing at this programme, a rare thing.

Another comedy series we loved but has been lost in the ether was 'Early Doors', a Craig Cash epic, sadly confined to the scrapheap.

All comedy shows are what you make of them, everyone has a different sense of humour, my brother for instance loves Mrs Browns Boys, he appreciates why I hate it, but it was the same thing over Monty Python, I was astonished that my mother thought it was hilarious at the time, C'est la Vie, no-one can be wrong or right over such things, it's all a matter of personal taste.

• Upvote 5

I can't say that I like or dislike Mrs Brown's Boys but it reminds me of the way nearly everybody used to speak in Glasgow. Maybe they still do. From the past I used to love The Goons and 'Not only but also' with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to hear on the news this morning,"the TROTTERS" ARE MILLIONAIRES AGAIN.

What would you do with a million pounds?

• Upvote 1

Roseanne was good as was Home improvement.