What a Complete & Utter Tosspot.

Couldn't the law have put him and his bike in their vehicle and whisked him away, thereby avoiding further delays. They were as dim as he was. They just love holding up the traffic don't they. Oh you horrible motorists, just look how important we are. Pri6ks.

The big deal is this, if he is so thick that he didn't understand that he shouldn't have been cycling there in the first place, then he really should never be let loose on any road in charge of anything.

The problem is he was breaking the law.

I have enough problems with cyclists riding their cycles on the pavement & in pedestrian areas already.

I have had cyclists moan at me for getting in their way in pedestrian areas when I point out the fact they think I'm some kind of idiot.

• Upvote 2

Having been involved in the investigation of of fatal traffic traffic accidents for many years I could tell many stories of the stupidity of motorists.

As I've said before, most of the stupid and selfish type of cyclists probably drive cars as well and are probably stupid and selfish motorists also. It is down to the person and not the mode of transport. They are probably also complete tw-ts when pushing a supermarket trolley as well.

• Upvote 1

When I was first driving as a teenager, my dad said " Always consider every other motorist to be an idiot" . I have done and it's kept me safe.

• Upvote 3

I operate a cycle hire centre in our local country park, you cannot believe what people think they can do with bikes, particularly with respect to charity rides.

Last September I had a couple of over weight, non cycling, couch potatoes thinking they could ride around the M25 on a tandem for charity, just like that!!

While I applaud their efforts for committing themselves to Mencap, it clearly wasn't on, they didn't cycle and had never been on a tandem, ask Bilbraborn how much training we did for our epic tandem rides, and we were teenagers at the time. I pointed out that riding on the M25 was illegal, then it was decided they were merely following it's route, not that they had considered that, or how far it was. In the end I refused to have anything to do with it, the issue was transferred to our Brentwood department and the last I heard was that the tandem hadn't been returned, surprise, surprise.

Re #13, Here is a quote from a book by a former West Hartlepool bus driver. His instructor told him "Remember that out of sight round the next bend is an escaped madman driving towards you on the wrong side of the road, in a steam roller with no brakes at 60 miles an hour. Be ready for him!"

Interstate cyclists use the hard shoulder of our freeways over here with little to no danger to others.... In fact truckers pull over to the next lane to avoid pulling the cyclists into their "wake"

Traffic moves a lot faster on US freeways than UK motorways.

As others have said, the police caused more problems than the cyclist.

I won't go into how much I hate the nanny state, people should be able to take full responsibility for themselves, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others....

• Upvote 1

Never ceases to amaze me how anyone thinks they just have to follow the instructions from Sat-Navs (GPS), even if logic tells them it's wrong. You read about these drivers who take goods vehicles or buses down cart-tracks or under low bridges "because the box told them to".

As I was driving back from Newcastle once, I had one tell me to turn left immediately. I was on the A1(M) at the time, and that would have sent me down a rather steep embankment into a ditch. To make matters worse, for the next ten miles, it kept telling me to make a u-turn.

I had a sat nav for Xmas a few years ago. I didn't want it, but the wife bought it for me. First time we used it was in Basingstoke, whilst locating a National Trust property. Followed the instructions and ended up in the slip road to a multi storey car park. No way out, I had to get a ticket on entry, drive round to the payment machine, pay £2.60 and come out . What a joke. I was brought up on maps at an early age and am rarely stumped.

• Upvote 1

Sat navs take away people using their inititive,like you basfordred bought up on maps and dont want owt to do with em,anyway i could sit and study a good atlas all night,

• Upvote 1

I have never ever needed a sat-nav as I really do have a good sense of direction and can read maps very well. However. My lovely missis has many many many talents. Finding her way to places is definitely not one of them. If she tried to drive to Skeggy on her own she could well end up in North Wales. Bless her!

And I agree with Firbeck. Riding a tandem is a partnership and even 2 experienced cyclists would struggle at first on a tandem. You have to get used to it and develop a strategy for pedaling and balancing together. Once you have mastered it though. WOW!!

Through one of the woods I used to work in there is a track, at its entrance on the main road are 3 signs, the first says unsuitable for motor vehicles, the second says no through road, and the third is a width warning of 4 metres, But despite those warnings it is surprising how many people, mainly tourists go down it, because the sat-nav tells them it is their route.

Once we had 3 Dutch family's with cars and caravans, stuck at the end of the track, not being able to move forward or turn around, because the track ends in a deep cutting and a dead end.

We have been told it is on the sat-nav, because it is still classed as a normal road, even though it has been closed since the 2nd world war by German troops, who filled in the cutting by blowing up the banks on both sides, to stop the movement of allied troops, like a lot of roads around here, and some like this one were never opened...