I haven't roller-skated since I was a teen traveling abroad with my mum to visit family and furthermore, I haven't seen roller skates in a few decades.

Does anyone "skate"? I would love to pass it on to my girls and have no idea where I would begin to find these skates. Does anyone still practice this activity? I would love to see if I would trip, fall and skin a knee, I miss being a kid and I truly feel that my kids would love it. Are there any family activity forums or groups? I definitely would love to hear any stories or anecdotes that you have.

I'm abroad on a family matter now and looking at old photographs have made me nostalgic and reminded me of this forum! I can't seem to get my hours together, jet-lagged and somehow energized at the same time. Skates are on the brain.

Share your thoughts please!

In the early 1990s, my youngest son belonged to a roller skating club at the now gone John Player Social Club on Aspley Lane. He did racing and also dancing and had several pairs of really expensive roller skates - some designed for racing and others for dancing. When he was training to be a hairdresser at Ewan Burns Shop on Nuthall Road he used to go to work on his skates until he passed his driving test and bought a car. I still see people who remember him going past on his skates. He also belonged to an AmDram group and when they did a revue involving musicals, him and his then girlfriend did a couple of bits from Lloyd-Webber's Starlight Express. After nearly twenty years, I don't know if he could still skate.

My son and I played inline hockey. He went on to captain the GB senior side and I coached his club side to the National final (we lost). I also coached Nottingham and the GB U16's skater hockey team for a while. The older quad roller skates aren't around much since inline skates took over. The last place I remember them in regular use was at Granby Hall in Leicester.

Nottingham probably leans toward ice skating rather than Roller skating.

Skateboards seems to be the thing for kids nowadays, certainly since the levelled the square?