Haircut and barbers

going for my fortnightly trim today,been going to same Barbers for 30 years,its a social thing really,mostly full of my age group and like Nosttstalgia we all start talking about how things used to be,and taking the mick out of each other with some brilliant wit and banter,.Its more than a haircut its a tonic and always leave feeling uplifted with a smilee on my face.

in short its one of lifes pleasures and good therapy. is it same for any of you or am i just sad?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

My wife does mine. She just keeps telling me off and giving me a sharp nudge if I fidget.

I have cut Mr Carni's hair for years and it always looks as good as a professional cut. I can never understand why a Hairdresser can charge a Woman approximately £12 - £15 for a dry cut or trim, when the same for a man is approximately £8? :ohmy: I never pay for the full Wash / Cut and style because I would rather finish it myself. :rolleyes: I would imagine the charges are similar every where unless it is one of the top Salons, which is above my budget anyway!

Can never be bothered...mines down my back now..not because of fashion...because I can't be ar**d. I spend half my life sitting waiting in vets,doctors,chemists, and dentists. Damned if I'm gonna spend even more in a barbers. When I see an empty chair I'll get it cut.

• Upvote 4

Ever tried a comb-over Paul?

aint got enough hair for one,aint even got a comb,it just grows in short patches,but my beard grows like one o,

As you get older (so I'm told) hair starts to increasingly disappear from your head, but increasingly sprouts in places like your ears, nose, and back.

You sometimes see people - usually male - who have longer hair coming out of their nose than they do on their head.

• Upvote 2

When I was at Long Eaton Grammar School many many moons ago, there was a teacher of German (and Russian actually) who was bald on top but tonsurially luxuriant around the face. A song was composed and sung at the sixth form Christmas dance (they call them "proms" these days). It went something like this :

"There's a fellow at our school whose hair is getting rather thin,

He's spouting so much German that he's drawing it all in,

It's turning round, and going back, and growing through his chin,

At the famous Long Eaton Grammar School."

When I was a kid (50s) I used to get haircuts at a barbers close to where Woodborough Road joins Mansfield Road, nice chap with a Poirot type 'tash.

In the 60s a little more fashion conscious Rons in town.

Fast receding hair by 21. Got the *rse with it all and started shaving it all off at about 35 and have done so ever since.

Its easy to look after..........................

I went to Ron's once under instructions from my mother. I never went again, he was a strange character to say the least. He was the sort dad warned me about. If he were around today, he'd probably drive a pink Smart car.

• Upvote 1

I went to Ron's once under instructions from my mother. I never went again, he was a strange character to say the least. He was the sort dad warned me about. If he were around today, he'd probably drive a pink Smart car.

before i read above,i was going to say i think my best mate Barry from school worked there early 60s,saying nowt now :biggrin: WHERE WAS IT?

"Terrys" at the bottom of the lane. charges £6 but reduced to £4.60 Monday to Friday for us old folk, so it's like an old folks day centre with varying degree of "intellectual"l chat depending on the mix of OAP's at the time.

Being somewhat follically challenged I feel that £4.60 is still a bit expensive every 10 weeks or so just to trim the sides and polish the centre piece! Wonder whether to cultivate a pony tail? That would be interesting !!

As I've mentioned on a similar thread before, as a kid I used to go to Ron Bush on Union Road for attention to the little Commo curls.

• Upvote 1

I grew through the hair line! So, there is not much on top to cut - and I do it (mostly) by myself! About two or three time a year I go to the barber and get a "good one" done - mostly to get everything square again!

I remember that German teacher well!

When the kids were little I cut their hair for them, and I've done my husbands since we married. Recently he had to go to the hairdressers because my wrist was out of action, and they charged him $14 for taking a bit off. I think he was gobsmacked, and so was I when he got back and told me the price. I said, look how much you owe me after all these years! He didn't bite.

Ron's was on Upper Parliament Street I seem to remember there was an upstairs.

He was the man to get you hair looking like one of the Small Faces et.al.

He must have made a bomb selling something called "Cossack" which was a hair lacquer for men.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers