Haircut and barbers

Mentioned elsewhere, I went to the one armed Barber Pete? top of Gordon Road, St Anns.

Used to plug his tools into a socket on one arm?

Me and a mate went for a Skinhead both having hair on our shoulders, he had his and I bottled out leaving without even a trim?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

I always go to my sons shop in Bulwell. He's a fully qualified and well experience barber. He charges 8 quid with discounts for pensioners on certain days. He'll gerrisarsekicked if ever he tries to charge me though.

that was the one Siddha,once you mentioned Parliament st,thats were my old mate worked ,Barry Rippon his name (#16 basfordred)and he wouldnt have drove a pink car :biggrin: he nicked a bird off me once :biggrin:

talking of Barbers,i bought my 1st 3 pack at the one in Bulwell near the crossings corner of bestwood rd.

i had purchased a shirt in Bulwell town,and decided to get my hair cut,while in the chair i was trying to pluck up the courage to ask for the said item.anyway i did,and left the shop as i was walking up st albans rd i heard a shout of Oi,feeling guilty of buying my 3 pack i started to run and heard oi again i turned round and it was the barber waving my shirt saying YOU LEFT THIS :laugh: :laugh:

I find it hard to believe that someone would nick a bird (#28) off of you, benjamin1945, not with your good looks... :biggrin:

i wasnt such a looker in those days,i improved with age :laugh::biggrin::laugh:

• Upvote 4

I remember being taken regularly by my Dad to the Pelham barber shop just off the Square in the early 60's. It was in a basement off King Street if I recall correctly. There was a row of about six huge (in my mind) barbers chairs. First my Dad had his hair cut and then it would be me. Short back and sides all round. One of the barbers (possibly the most senior because of his chair's position at the top of the line) happened to be our nextdoor neighbour.

Looking on Google Streetview it may possibly have been where the Basement Bar is now, nextdoor (or even below) to the Loch Fyne Bar and Grill.

Anyone else remember this?

Something for the weekend sir?

• Upvote 1

I remember being taken regularly by my Dad to the Pelham barber shop just off the Square in the early 60's. It was in a basement off King Street if I recall correctly. There was a row of about six huge (in my mind) barbers chairs. First my Dad had his hair cut and then it would be me. Short back and sides all round. One of the barbers (possibly the most senior because of his chair's position at the top of the line) happened to be our nextdoor neighbour.

Looking on Google Streetview it may possibly have been where the Basement Bar is now, nextdoor (or even below) to the Loch Fyne Bar and Grill.

Anyone else remember this?

Yes, I remember being taken there in the early/mid 60s, the days of short-back-and-sides.

The entrance was this door, and you went into the semi-basement. http://goo.gl/maps/aXFXV The windows with grills just visible at ground level were the only source of natural light, and they were at ceiling level in the building itself.

• Upvote 1

anyone remember Osbournes on park lane basford or nixons on wallis st or even criterion near Adelphi pictures in Bulwell?

Then there was the styles, short back and sides,crew cut,Tony Curtis,DA,(ducks arse),the Boston,and moving on to Mohican,Beatle cut,

ANY MORE ?

Mullet, always the sign of a moron.

• 1 month later...

Took my Grandson for 1st haircut yesterday,(hes 17 months).WHAT A NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE. :angry2: Still love him though.

When I was a little lad living with my grandparents in Old Basford during the war, grandma used to take me to Benny's the barber on David Lane, opposite the Co-op. He never used electric clippers, just the hand-clippers that pulled the hairs. I always screamed my head off.

In later years I went to a barbers where one of the hairdressers had a 'party trick'. He would get the cutthroat razor - to finish off the sideboards - and hold it in front of the customer's face, to make sure he had seen it, and then quickly draw it across his throat. Obviously, it was the flat back-edge of the razor. I wondered what the customer thought when he felt the cold steel on his throat. I wonder if this would be banned by Health and Safety regulations nowadays?

• Upvote 1

I started hairdressing 1962 we only did ladies at that time. Also we had cubicles, hairdresser's pay was by a wagers council and believe me it was still small fry after 3 year apprentice, 2 year as improver 5 years to qualify. Wage after 5 years

£5 00

Thank god for tips. Then we joined with the men and unisex salons came in, but wages did not get any better you still had to relay on tips and commission (commission take £100 plus your wage and your boss would give you 10p or 10d in the pound)

Then progressed to salon owner still wages were bad Plumber's Electrician's and other trades people got better wages than

hairstylist. I then went into teaching Hairdressing WOW! wage's it was like winning the Lotto. I did have to get my

teacher's 730 and d32 d33 assessors award which took 2/3 year's.

So please don't complain about the price as most hairdresser's work hard to just earn a living wage. One of the best things that came in for hairdressers was the minimum wage. P.S. I Used to work for a Allan Simms and he used to say Quality is

better than quantity a good cut will be rememberd where price will be forgotten.

• Upvote 1

i know things have changed and how expensive things have got but some hairdressers dond deserve the money they ask for the job having long hair down to my waist i went to my hairdressers i had been goingto for years last year as i was going out to a wedding wanted my hair put in a french plait. my own hairdresser was taken ill and was not there with my normal hairdresser a wash cut and blow dry was 8 pounds at the time now 10 pounds. the other young girl in the shop said she could do it took her all of five mins she did not put a a brush or a comb though it good job i had washed it well the night before charge 15 pounds. dont mind paying a fair price for a good job but for what she did thought it was a bit pricy.

micheal take it from me who had more than my fair shair of boyfriends when i was young,its not just good looks that matter its more of the all round personallity are they moody do they cheat or do you want to cheat on them, are they mean are they nasty are they clingy do they expect you to be with them all the time and not have your own friends expect you to stay in when when they go out with there mates do you really enjoy it when your out with them or is it always what they want to do , can you discus anything with them. are you realy happy with them. just some of the reasons i finished with boyfriends

• Upvote 1

Steady on Babs,1st you hi-jack this cosy chat us blokes were having about "barbers" and turn it into ladies hairdressing,then proceed to slag us off for being "not good looking",moody,nasty,clingy selfish,and cheats,.........fair enough lass,who am i to argue, :laugh:

Another female interloper! My cousin, Ray Charles (not that one!) had a barbers at the top of Derby Road, called, I think, Raytone.It was near the Undertakers which I can't remember the name of, which is driving me mad! Anyone remember the barbers? (or the name of the Undertaker?)

• Upvote 2

CLOWERS, the undertaker,cant remember the barbers,could have been LAST CUT,LOL.

i know things have changed and how expensive things have got but some hairdressers dond deserve the money they ask for the job having long hair down to my waist i went to my hairdressers i had been goingto for years last year as i was going out to a wedding wanted my hair put in a french plait. my own hairdresser was taken ill and was not there with my normal hairdresser a wash cut and blow dry was 8 pounds at the time now 10 pounds. the other young girl in the shop said she could do it took her all of five mins she did not put a a brush or a comb though it good job i had washed it well the night before charge 15 pounds. dont mind paying a fair price for a good job but for what she did thought it was a bit pricy.

I used to have hair down to my waist all down my back as well Babs, was too much maintenance so cut it to my shoulder! Much less time consuming!! Do love a good French plait though! Do it on myself as much as I can, keeps it out of the way and makes it lovely and wavey! £15 is steep though, could have it for you for free had I known you then :)

i wasent even born then born 1951 so i was definightly inocent then not even thought of.

no benjimen what i acctually said was looks not every thing personality was more important a thengave a list of things i learnt to look for look out for ive been lucky i have been happly married for 41 years he may not have been the best looking guy i went out with but his kid genuin personality sure has made up for it

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers