Haircut and barbers

thank mellisa i will remember you next time im going somewere special can you put bun rings in too. carnt do my own due to the arthritis in my sholders and hands sometimes struggle to get a bobble in

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

Yes Babs. Have plenty of donut rings! Love them. Come in very handy st times. Sorry to hear about your arthritis. I think I get it in my knees and hips at times and I'm only 21! But Mum suffered with it since she was 11 in her knees. However I can help you Babs. Have grown very fond of the people on this forum :)

When I was little mum used to cut me and my brothers hair, so never really used a barbers. As I reached my teens I did have it done a few times but hated all the little hairs that were left on your neck and go down your shirt afterwards. I have quite sensitive skin and the prickly hairs drive me nuts.

Then I met my good wife who was an apprentice ladies hairdresser at the time so she took over my hair cutting, and has done ever since.

After a home haircut I usually have a shower straight after so no nasty hair down my back.

Mind now I've lost most of it a quick wizz over with the clippers on number one and its done :-).

One of my twin daughters is a hairdresser here (no longer a ladies hairdresser as they do unisex and are trained on both ladies and gents) so she also give me a flash over and a good eyebrow trim when I'm in town.

Thinking about it I must have saved a fortune over the years ! just wonder what I spent it on instead.

• Upvote 1

A few years ago I used to drop into a barber's in Hucknall. It was there that a WOMAN cut my hair. I only hoped that her name wasn't Delilah!

It was never like that at Widowson's at the bottom of Broxtowe Lane. I never once went in there and straight into an empty chair - it was always full of Crane School lads, with enough hair on the floor to stuff a mattress.

• Upvote 1

Ayup, what about jam donuts ?

OK What about jam donuts?

Do you find like I do that they no longer put real jam in donut's yes it's red but it's just a goo'ee mess.

A lot of stuff is what it shouldn't be as it keeps better. However, I sometimes make my own jam.

Back to hair and all that. Melissa, I also used to have my hair right down my back. My mates in Scotland used to call me the Hippy. My brother used to call me JC. When I started work on the railway I had it cut much shorter because of all the oily grease from the trains.

• Upvote 1

You'd have hysterics if you saw photos of me with long hair. I used to fall asleep in the armchair and my wife's friends kids would plait my hair while I was asleep. little beggars!

my mates husband came to a wedding last saturday with his long white beared in pliats and hair his five year old grandaughter when he first got there his hair had a ptity pink pearly bow in his hair and a black silk rose pinned to his shirt apparently she told him grandad you going to a wedding and you have got to look nice and smart

we all laughed and we laghed even more that he saidhe had forgotten she had done it till some one asked why he had got it.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

As a barber I'd love to hear some of your memories about barbers especially those old skool barbers that knew only two styles.

I can remember going to Hair line on mapperley top, quite pricey for its day but the only place I can remember coming out of with some hair still intact.

I can remember going to Toms on Carlton Hill I came out looking like Dave Hill from slade!

I do miss the old skool smells especially the bay rum, I still have some but none of the youngsters are man enough for it yet lol.

Over the years I've worked at hair line, peppers trinity square, Tony's in Arnold back to peppers, jacks on castle gate before becoming a partner in the 63 barber shops.

Can't wait to hear your memories.

Baden

• Upvote 2

I`ll start it off. Much as I cannot remember what I did this morning,I remember clearly my first visit to the barber in about 1943. He was a one size fits all type barber on Gordon Rd,just below Pym St. I had the standard crop and proceeded to scream the place down and insisted my mum and the barber collect the hair in a paper bag so I could take it home to glue it back into place. Memory is as vivid as a minute ago!

• Upvote 2

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Baden. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

I can remember going to a barbers in Arnold in the 60's for a trim. There was a box on the table with lots of sachets of shampoo. They were going cheap to clear so, as I paid the barber, I took one. My wife and I were staying at my parents home in Sherwood and when we got home I had my dinner and went to the bathroom to get ready as we were going into Town for a night out. My parents always watched the TV wrestling on a Saturday teatime and I could hear them all shouting and screaming. I grabbed a towel and went into the lounge to see Mick McManus up to his usual dirty tricks. My wife looked round at me and screamed, "What have you done to your hair?" I looked in the mirror and saw that my hair was a funny shade of red. The sachet I'd bought from the barbers wasn't a shampoo but a dye. Trust me to buy a sachet with foreign writing on it. Instead of having a great night out we ended up in the corner of a dingy pub where nobody knew me. I sat there with one of my dads hats and my collar turned up..lol :blush:

• Upvote 5

Hi Baden

My first visit to the barbers with my mam I cried. For years I had to suffer the short back and sides, side parting, wave to the front and loads of brylcreem.

Years later it was Peppers Trinity Square or Ron's Parliament Street

Even later Tony's on Alfreton Road, less to take off so it was much cheaper.

Now I do my own using my faithfull hair clippers, whole job done in 5 minutes.

What I would do to have my own full head of hair again. I have got some early photos I will try and upload.

Welcome to the Forum Baden, good to see ya joining in.

The first barber's I went to in the early 50`s was Les Bush on Union Road, the Gents was up the stairs over a ladies salon run by his wife. The choice of style was limited to short back and sides, but a nod to modernity was the electric razor which could be used for a charge of 6d.

I now go to an old school barber here in the village who still has a bottle of Bay Rum on offer.

In my childhood it was ron on kirkwhite st or ron on kirkwhite st,2

seperate barbers facing each other,must have used identicle basins

to place on our heads for the standard basin cut,brylcream was all I

could smell ,the cut throat razors looked mean when I was a kid.

Hi Baden and welcome to the madhouse that is Nottstalgia 😃

My first barber was Charlie's on Broxtowe Lane for the usual short back and sides quiff and smothered in Brylcream ....yuk

Then later when I became a Mod it was Rons on Parliament Street for years and later Peppers and more recently Hairport in Hurts Yard.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers