Haircut and barbers

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

Hi Baden, fancy meeting you on here 2nd Cuz (not sure about that) we have a weird family history don't we ?

To answer your question, never been to a barbers in my life, mum used to cut it when I was a kid, then my darling wife took over (she is a trained ladies hairdresser but hated it so bailed out !)

Now I have not much left to cut :-). but I still get the regular trim at home.

Brian in W Australia

Georgie Jones on Nuthall Road - he was a friend of my father's - when I was a very young lad. I remember having to sit on a "booster" in the barber's chair.

I don't think I he ever asked if me if I might "need something for the weekend".

Whitworth's on Sandham Walk, Clifton. Only ever went there under the direction of my mum. You went in the entrance and were surrounded by hardboard "walls" on boths sides. To the left was the men's, done by Mr Whitworth, and on the right was ladies done by Mrs Whitworth.

It's just not visible here; it would be the next shop on the right if the photo were wider. These shops have all now been converted to housing - apart from the hairdressing one, which has survived, although the Whitworth name is long gone.

sandham.jpg

• Upvote 1

Used to go to Whitworth's for a short back and sides !

Being a youngster, they asked you to sit on a plank on top of the chair.

I remember they had a model dog made out of cigarette packets in the window.

The shop next door (I think) sold model soldiers etc..

Charlie's on Broxtowe Lane as a young lad, then Ron Bush on Union Road as growing lad, then Myles on Radford Road as a teenager, followed by Jim on Commercial Road, last few years haircuts courtesy of Mrs Catfan,

Osbornes Park lane old basford,as a boy,Groome and Criterion Bulwell,as a teenager,then all over the country for 20 years,then Don and Johns Basford for 25 years.

• Upvote 1

yes thats where they go Denshaw,great pair of brothers,first knew John in the early 80s from drinking in the 'White Swan' old basford,its more like a social club in their Barbers,always have a laugh and loads of 'banter'.

Another I've remembered, from my later years (probably early-mid 1960s), presumably because my dad was going there. Still only short-back-and-sides though.

Pelham Hairdressing on King Street. You can see the barber's pole on this photo. That marks the entrance, then you went down stairs to the main shop which was below street level.

kingp.jpg

My first barber was Jack Henson or Hendersons on Peveril St just down from Skills toy shop. Gosh, were his clippers blunt! He pulled more hair out than he cut off. Not much left now - he must have pulled all the roots out.

I dreaded going there as a kid.

My current hairdresser is a lovely lady. gives a free head massage too :jumping:

When I first went there she asked "how do you want it luv"? "Just make a noise with the scissors to make me feel better" I replied.

• Upvote 3

On my travels when working away from home i used to love getting a shave in many different 'Cities' set you up for the day,not many of the old 'barbers do it nowadays,but most of the Asian' ones do,one of my sons uses one on Ilkeston rd.Hot towels the lot,think i might try em.

Pelhams (in the basement on King Street) had several chairs in a open plan area - but if you wanted privacy you could have your hair cut in separate cubicles, probably at extra cost. My Mum took me there until the early 1960s then we went to the Park Saloon on Mansfield Road just up the Mansfield Road / Hucknall Road / Magdala Road traffic lights. Looking at StreetView it is now the right hand part of Five Hill Food and Wine. Again there was not mich choice in style - short back and sides.

Tim

My first proper memories of trips to the barbers all relate to "Kadjiks" on the Rivergreen/Sunninghill Drive shops at Clifton. This was in the late '50s and there was "old man" Mr Kadjik (spelling?) and a younger assistant complete with brylcreemed quiff and winkle pickers. He always called me "chief" as in "what's it to be chief?". As an 8 to 10 year old this felt pretty special. School photos of the time show that I too was a victim of the "short back and sides" school of thought. I do remember once following his advice to have a "Boston trim" and again felt pretty good with myself. An hour later I was back in the chair with instructions from my dad to get a short back and sides! Probably something to do with not needing to go back for 4 or 5 weeks, thus getting (his) money's worth.

At some point in my early teens my mum took over haircutting duties, then my wife. I was 23 before visiting a barber's again - Peppers(?) on Clinton St, where it seemed to be all girl stylists. The one doing my hair shoved a copy of Mayfair magazine into my hands and I was very conscious of her "busty substances" pressing into my shoulders as I underwent the scissors. Later on it was "John the Barber" on Highbury Vale and Andy Meakin's place on Bulwell Main St, then when he opened a Barber Queue in Gedling I followed him there. These days I'm not too fussy and make do with a "trim" wherever they charge less than a tenner!

My first proper memories of trips to the barbers all relate to "Kadjiks" on the Rivergreen/Sunninghill Drive shops at Clifton. This was in the late '50s and there was "old man" Mr Kadjik (spelling?)

The place at that roundabout - certainly by the early 60s - was Pietrzak. Can't remember the old man's name, but he had a son Michael and daughter Susan. That shop is still a hair place and called "Michael's" https://goo.gl/maps/Ui9ib I guess - don't know - that it is the Pietrzak connection.

You're right Cliff Ton, it's Michael that runs the place and he also owns most of the property in that block now! I knew the name was something Polish- sounding so my memory's let me down a bit there. But I'm sure we used to say "Kadjik's". Maybe that was the old man's first name?

My first barber was Jackie Browns, on Duke St / Gawthorne St corner, New Basford. A real old fashioned short back and sides barber with a hair tonic that set your hair like concrete at the end. After he retired, I went to John's on Sandon Street. My last regular was Brown's Broad Marsh, but since my second wife is probabaly one of the better qualified hairdressers in Nottingham, I now have no reason to go anywhere.

• 2 months later...

Anyone remember 'Browns' the West indian' Barbers,corner of Forest rd and North Sherwood st,? I was on Forest rd this morning and the Barbers is still there,1st went there in the 60s,in them days mr Brown used to dance as he cut your hair always good entertainment,perhaps other 'Whities' went there but i can't recall seeing one,anyway learn't this morning he only retired about 4 years ago,and another W.I. chap runs it now.

Bert Fisher's barber shop next to the old Regal cinema on Station Rd. Carlton. Think he was mostly a short back and sides guy. Always remember the place being really busy so I guess he was well enough liked in the area. Often went with my dad on a Saturday morning back in the fifties.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers