Haircut and barbers

#36 Loppylugs I remember Bert had a shop at the very bottom of Carlton hill but not for long, i used to go to Betty Needs opposite Regal on station road When we was kids I went in for a D A and a tony curtis he wet it singed it cut it blew it, and it come out like two bleddy flat sausages, god knows what the row of old pensioners thought. happy days.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

My first barber was Jackie Browns, on Duke St / Gawthorne St corner, New Basford. A real old fashioned short back and sides barber with a hair tonic that set your hair like concrete at the end. After he retired, I went to John's on Sandon Street. My last regular was Brown's Broad Marsh, but since my second wife is probabaly one of the better qualified hairdressers in Nottingham, I now have no reason to go anywhere.

Lucky duck......

Bob's on Hucknall High Street in the 50's was the one...........people queued for hours, my dada and my brother went there - he was class at short back and sides........When he popped his clogs, everybody seemed to go to the Criterian.........

Last friday of every month D10 toilets at Boots hair/shave- two quid!! Bills next to star on Mansfield rd. Sixties: tonys on North sherwood st. Next to a bookies ( navy blue paint) can't remember name.

For years I went to Bill the Barbers next to the Golden Fleece on Mansfield until he packed up about 5 years ago.

There was a spell in the eighties when he became somewhat over popular when Morrissey cuts/flat-tops became all the rage and word quickly got around that he could do them (not all barbers had the skills or the willingness to do them). They were queuing out the door and I had to go elsewhere for a few years. Trends changed and his old regulars gradually drifted back.

Had the best line in barber chat - e.g. never asked you where you were going on your holidays but somehow you always found yourself talking about interesting things and places.

He was big into Buddhism and bought land near his house to turn it back into a flower meadow.

Yes he did have a thing for India and he described to me a lengthy cross country trip he undertook. I think it was east to west.

He was very well travelled generally and we discussed the philosophy around travel many times.

Another I've remembered, from my later years (probably early-mid 1960s), presumably because my dad was going there. Still only short-back-and-sides though.

Pelham Hairdressing on King Street. You can see the barber's pole on this photo. That marks the entrance, then you went down stairs to the main shop which was below street level.

kingp.jpg

Pelham!! That's it! Thanks CT! I read the first page of this thread and was racking my brain - I'd worked out it was on King St and that it was probably the basement which is now a bar, still a hairdressers' on the site though, according to googlemaps:

Cg2nbbz.png

Sound about right?

But amazing to see the old pic you posted of the place itself. I was taken down there for my first cuts, when a little lad in the mid/late 60s. It was always the kindly dapper chap with black/silver brylcreemed hair, a pencil moustache, a cheery smile and a twinkle in the eye who I had - I took it at the time he ran the place. I was always very impressed with the array of cut-throat razors and remember him explaining to me (and demonstrating) how he used the leather strap hanging from the side of the chair to sharpen them.

Anyone remember that character; and his name?

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good case to be made for having several water butts I'd have thought PP.  ...

In a few minutes I'm going to have a go at cutting my hair using my Wahl beard trimmer. My normal cut is 'No.2' on the sides and 'No.4' on top, all expertly blended by my hairdresser.   I only have 1-3 combs for my trimmer so I think my best bet is No.3 all over then see how awful it looks before proceeding...  maybe I can sort of bleed 2 into 3.. but probs best left alone... Hairdresser usually squares off the neck for me.. which will be a 'two mirror' job for me.  Should be fun.. :mellow:

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Hairdresser usually squares off the neck for me.. which will be a 'two mirror' job for me.  Should be fun.. :mellow:

I look like Worzel Gummidge . Neighbours are telling me (from a distance) that I look like a sixties hippy.

I wish

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldphil said:

I look like Worzel Gummidge

I've been asked which colour ribbon I want...    :wacko:

Good grief!!

36 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

You should open a salon

Please don't..      :faint:

• Like 2

No respect for talent and artistry on here.....:wacko:

• Like 1

I made a few mistakes but I think I got away with them..

I've christened it the 'Strangeways Look'

Having reached such a high level of skill and artistry in just one cut..and since my long term hairdresser has now retired.. I'm going to do all my coiffure in future and save myself about £80 per year.  It all helps.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers