Haircut and barbers

Good one DJ360, well done

Now time to put on your Doc Martens, check shirt, straight leg jeans half way up your calf and held up with braces and the scarf tied around your wrist. Then off out to terrorise Billinge

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

Ha!!  No poncey Skin'd geet faar in Billinge.  Ee'd gerris braces wrapped rahnd 'is neck an a good slappin wi a flat cap!!

I like seeing grade 1 / 2 haircuts on men.   They are SO much more attractive than careful 'comb-overs' !   I've been doing Paul's hair for as long as I can remember, and our two sons have been doing their own hair for many years, too.  As soon as they began to get a bit 'thin on top'  they took the decision to be proactive.  I reckon it's mostly the older generation of men who are reluctant to go for a very short cut.

I know a few men do retain their thick hair into old age and therefore may need proper styling - I'm just talking about those who don't.  

This is, of course, just my opinion!

If your lucky enough to have a full head of hair in your 70’s then make the most of it. There’s still a few oldies with crowning glories down our lane. I do see the Grecian 2000 tanker making secret deliveries in the dead of night though!

Think ive finished with the Barber now,,,,wife did mine and it only needs a Shaver,,,looks ok,,,Shame in many ways after over 70 years of different Barbers,,

Started with me Dad taking me to Osbournes on Park Lane Basford i suppose i'd be about three.,,After them and into teenage years i'd try one or two others  Criterian'' in Bulwell which was one,,it was new and the in place for teens to go,,at 2/6 wern't cheap.,,,,,,,,,,Then at 15 started my travels around Notts for Marsdens and had it cut all over,,some better than others.

Then at 17 or 18 started travelling the country and realised Barbers were more than just having your hair cut,,,it was more about mens Banter,,met some real characters among them,,........One in Grimsby always regaled me with famous footballers who he had done as kids,,,one of them being Duncan Mckenzie.............Remember one in Sheffield ,think he was Italian,,nipped in between calls i had to make,and there were about 6 blokes sat waiting,,so turned to walk out no time to sit waiting for that lot,,.....He the Italian barber let rip with......'''YOU NO WAIT?  YOU NEVER COME MY SHOP AGAIN''''   Cheeky sod,,,had to laugh though,,told him what to do with his-sen and left.

Then there was a 'Gay one' in Birmingham,,,very funny every thing he said had a double sexual meaning,,was in Shard-end  lol.

Never forget one of my favourites in Glasgow,,,all he did whilst cutting my hair was to 'Slag off the English me included,,,very funny,, great Scot,,,,

Another favourite was one in Norwich,(another Italian),,who sang Opera all the way through doing the job,,,but nearly always after he would make me Coffee after,,and we sat and chewed the fat with a smoke,,

Finally (almost) settled back down in Nottingham and for many years used 'Don and Johns'' in Basford,,great blokes terrific insults exchanged...........Much more than just getting your hair cut at a good Barbers,,...........Bugger it gonna keep using em......lol

• Like 4

If you want to see my kind of Barber,, take a look at the Barber shop'' scene in Clint Eastwoods '''Gran Torino''''...........Brilliant....

Col, you did a good job, but you could have ironed your teeshirt before you took the picturesmile2

Going back to me youf, there was a saying when someone had a severe hair cut, don't worry, it will drop when it's washed.

• Like 3

There is going to be no photo of my haircut, my son cuts his own so my dear wife made me have mine cut by him. He has what I call the thug cut, so short he might as well shave it, I insisted I wanted it much longer. It was cut much to the evil pleasure of my dearest wife, it is shorter now than it has ever been, no problem now of social distancing, I will not be leaving the house for weeks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin's mention of the Criterion in Bulwell reminded me of the Criterion Men's Hairdressing "Salon" on Watnall Road, Hucknall - located between Hedley Wright's fish shop and the Council Offices. I went there a couple of times it always smelled of rotting fish - at least I thought it was fish until someone told me that Hucknall mortuary was in the yard at the Council Offices.

Please, Please DJ360 don't open a salon you will give us all a bad name, the square back cut was called a boston, now days most salons will just cut the neck line in the shape as it grows. For all of you men out there who wish to cut your own hair so-long as you don't take the guard off the clippers you can not really make a mistake. If you want it shaved clippers with out guard, if you want it short no 1 guard in the nape. just before bottom of ears cange to no 2 guard then crown no 3 gaurd or you can still use no 2. Side burns no 1 then no 2  use clippers in a semi circle movement.   Just one more tip try not to use a mirror but feel your way and lift hair with a comb at 90o angel and you will see any long bits that you have missed.  The Salon on King Street upstairs was called "Krowns" it was a Training salon for NVQ LEVEL 3 / 4  owned by Mr Mrs Basford who also had Nottingham Hairdressing Training Agency NHTA. Not sure if  salon is still there  as I'm talking about 10 years ago or maybe more.

Had my haircut in Westminster near HP.........Think late 90s......at the time i was paying about £3 in Nottingham........£15 please sir,,,nearly feinted,,,still in shock when i passed Norman Lamont outside,,said EY-UP,,,though,,,,he looked at me and laughed giving me a Nod,,,,talk to anybody me,,,

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MargieH said:

I like seeing grade 1 / 2 haircuts on men.   They are SO much more attractive than careful 'comb-overs' !

No danger of a comb over here Margie.  I've always been of the view that when it's gone, it's gone and I won't hide the fact.  As it is I'm a touch thin around the crown but otherwise not too bad for an owd un.

Ben, I also went to Osborne's and the Criterion Boowul.  Also to the horrible bloke along from Criterion towards market on same side.  Had a proper old style Barber's pole outside.  Croome's near the crossing too.   Went once to the one in the row of shops opposite Laxton Ave. on Highbury Rd.  Very iffy bloke.. Never went there again...  What was the one in Trinity Walk.. Pepper's?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Please, Please DJ360 don't open a salon you will give us all a bad name, the square back cut was called a boston, now days most salons will just cut the neck line in the shape as it grows.

Think 'squared off' was the wrong term Mary.  I didn't mean a Boston.. I meant just cut into a definite line rather than 'fizzling out'.

Anyway, for a couple of years I've been considering going to a 3, or a 2 all over.  I forced myself into a 2 by having a little 'accident'  :laugh:.  I'll let it all grow out a bit and try a 3 all over... but I reckon I'll end up with a 2.

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

They used to say that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut was about two weeks. I think in Col’s case that could be extended to two months. 

Ooooohhh you can be so cutting.....:glare:

DJ360 i timed how long it would be before you came back with a comment.lips0

16 hours ago, denshaw said:

Could have been worse, you could have been in Sweeney Todds

Remember a Barbers called Sweeney Todds in Sneinton,  mid eighties, near Greenwood school..

Corner of the fiirst road down the hill, after the former railway, which became a cut through to Colwick Rd.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers