Haircut and barbers

The one in Sneinton lived with a cousin of mine,and set up again off Porchester think in the 90s,,

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

Not him cliff ton...............this chap is named John,,,don't know if hes still there,,,next street after Post Office coming down Porchester.........

In my early teens I regularly went to a barber in the front room of a terrace house on Vernon rd opposite the car place, between Nottingham rd and Church st. Not glamorous, did a good job. I always had a 50s flat top cut. Thinking about it reminds me of Jerry Keller's song 'here comes summer' and long summer evenings with mates on pedal track bikes riding round Melbourne park: - baseball boots, denims, white shirt, flatop cut and obligatory ray ban aviators, ( or something looking close).  Those 'track bikes' of the late 50s, cow-horn handlebars and 26 tooth rear sprocket, loved that 30 year old 3rd hand me down bike.

• Like 3

I seem to recall having a 'Perry Como' briefly....  it didn't last...

A couple of years later I started to assert my emerging manhood by refusing to get it cut at all.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:04 AM, benjamin1945 said:

If you want to see my kind of Barber,, take a look at the Barber shop'' scene in Clint Eastwoods '''Gran Torino''''...........Brilliant....

the ladies love the lilac water!

• 2 months later...

My hair now gently cascades over my collar and is heading determinedly for my shoulders. I can't be doing with buggering about making hair appointments but herself says if I don't I'll wake with a bobble and a pony tail...

• Like 1

I’m in the same position. My hair’s never been so long. I’m a bit reluctant about cutting it myself so I think I’ll prevail on my wife. Probably better to do it out in the garden and not have a mess to clear up inside. If birds are still nesting they will be glad of it!

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Brew said:

My hair now gently cascades over my collar and is heading determinedly for my shoulders. I can't be doing with buggering about making hair appointments but herself says if I don't I'll wake with a bobble and a pony tail...

• Like 1

I've cut mine twice since lockdown.. using my Wahl Beard Trimmer.  Not quite as neatly as the hairdresser.. but good enough.

It will take more than a dodgy haircut to ruin my natural Animal Magnetism and devastating attractiveness...

I wish...

• Like 2

I usually wear my hair quite long but I t got really long in lockdown and not only looked a mess but was getting on my nerves. I’d been at the whisky a couple of weeks ago and looked in the mirror. Well something clicked in me and I got the scissors and cut my hair. Not recklessly but carefully Layering as far as I could reach. Jane had to trim the neck and my son layered the back where I couldn’t reach. Result was and agreed by most that see me as the best cut I’ve had in years. Looking back I don’t know how I managed it or had the courage to cut it so short, for me that is. It’s become known as the famous grouse cut. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hmm gave that some serious thought but sadly Yorkshire tea didn't have the same effect.

Looked in the bathroom cabinet earlier and there is a suspiciously large number of bobbles. I shall sleep with the clothes basket against my bedroom door tonight...  :angry:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I had my first haircut in over two years yesterday. The last occasion was just prior to my hip replacement in early March 2020. Then came the first lockdown and a period when I wasn’t allowed to drive. I’ve been hacking at it myself as necessary but last weekend I recognised that I was a becoming a rather scruffy unkempt bugger. Just as I expected my barber’s first words of welcome were ‘who’s been cutting your bloody hair!’ I confessed I was the culprit and he made a very professional job of tidying me up. There was a lot of hair on the floor. I didn’t ask the price, I just gave him £20 which he seemed very pleased with. I’ll be less generous next time! :biggrin:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Haircut and barbers

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thought I'd have a change as shes a bit of a gossip. This new one has left scissor marks all over and has cut my hair too short ( it does happen ) now I have to wait at least 2 months until it can be corrected by going back to my gossipy hairdresser. Sometimes I wish I could still cut my own hair like I used to but now I cant turn my head in the position I need it to be.:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, but think what I've saved over two years! I like to make people happy. :biggrin:

Does that mean you're a philanthrope?      :P

I'll send 'er indoors up. She'll cut your hair for less than 20 quid and no tip required. Wots a philanthrope?