Gotta repeat this...

Called in a greengrocers in Warsop for a few bits and bobs...I had my usual 'Take the Mickey' head on.

"£1.90 please!"

"£1.90?...When I was a lad you could get a woman for that!"

The young lass looked at me with a grin,and said..."You still can round Warsop!"

Chuckled all the way back to the car... :biggrin:

• Upvote 9

At least she 'got' what you were saying. I come out with things over here and folks look at me 'gone out' as we used to say. The British sense of humour is totally lost over here. I once bought Brussels sprouts to go with our Thanksgiving dinner. The girl on the checkout commented on them [they are not popular over here] and I said, yes, you have to have Brussels with turkey, it's the law. She believed me.

My missus stops the check out girls dead...."paper or plastic"??? My missus always says "yes" They never know how to answer that one.

In the group I'm with, we often contact each other on Facebook. One 19 year old put a message on about something we were doing and wrote, 'I'll be there and bring my muscles along'. I went on and said, 'O.K. Don't forget the cockles, vinegar and some bread and butter'. The reply was, 'What would I want to bring all that for'? This was not a joke on her part and youngsters don't seem to understand this sort of humour. I often have to explain jokes, good or bad and mine are pretty rotten, to anyone below 20 yrs old.

• 1 year later...

Kenny Everetts favourite gag....and mine.

Guy with a broken watch sees a shop on Oxford Street with a window full of watches and clocks....

"Morning!....My watch has stopped working can you have a look at it please?

"We don't do watch repairs!"

"Ah!...in that case have you something around £10 to tide me over while I have this one repaired?"

"We don't sell watches!"

"Well what the hell do you do?"

"We castrate cats!"

"Castrate cats???.....How come your window is full of watches and clocks?"

"What do you expect us to hang in the window??"

• Upvote 2

When we moved to Calverton in the 50s Mam went to the shop and asked for 'a pound of nobs'. The woman looked puzzled and Mam repeated, 'A pound of nobby greens please.' Woman said, 'Can you point to them dear? Oh! You mean Brussels sprouts!'

You don`t have to be a thousand miles away to be a linguistic ex-pat.

• Upvote 2

Yes I was in Superdrug and saw a woman with no shoes on - she thought she was in Boots!!!

Round here in the chip shop if I ask for a fritter they just look at me I have to say you call them scallops.

Best wishes

Peter

For reasons I still can't recall I once bought an alpenstock in Wales and asked the young lady assistant to wrap it. Her face reflected her thought process and went blank and once in a record shop in Liverpool a raucous back ground music was playing. I asked how it sounded being played the right way round and the assistant was quite offended.