Can anyone remember the name of the club half way up Exchange Walk on the left, probably around 1966 - 67 time.

I seem to remember lots of Soul & Motown on Friday?

Smiffy

My memory of Exchange Walk is of just shops. If there was a door in between shops leading up to a club, I never noticed it. I must have gone round wi' me eyes shut!

Yes, you are right, the entrance was virtually between two shops with a fight of stairs leading to the upper floor.

It was my first experience of ultra violet lights and I can remember thinking that everyone had a very bad dose of dandruff!

I've been up and down Exchange Walk since I was very young, and even back then I don't remember seeing any signs for a club. In fact I don't think there has ever been any space between two shops which could accommodate a club entrance.

Are you perhaps mixing Exchange Walk with another Walk/Alley/Yard/Place ?

The only places that I can remember with the ultra-violet lights around that time were the upstairs of The White Hart (I think it was called) on Glasshouse Street and a pub on the town side of Trent Bridge, would it have been the Town Arms? That's now the Riverbank Restaurant.

Sorry about this, my Brother tells me it was perhaps on Trinity Walk......??

Suppose that's possible Smiffy, there's a restaurant through a door and up some stairs, on the left going up from Parliament Street, now called Petit Paris. It may have been in that same building but I don't remember it.

I remember getting kicked out of that little restaurant in about 1974, after me and my mate decided to spray each other with the ketchup for the plastic containers.

I reckon it was the dodgy burgers that made us do it.

Smiffy49......I remember that club on Exchange Walk in 62-63.

As you describe, a single door entrance on Exchange Walk...knock and the little spy door opened and the doorman inside checked you out before opening the door.

Cannot remember the stairs to upstairs but can remember the red décor of the interior, red carpet, red wallpaper and red tinted lighting.

Us boys had heard about the place and back then, no proof of age required - if you looked old enough, you were right!

We only visited it twice and the place has stuck in my memory. The first time it was a dead hole with nothing happening and the second time some weeks later - still a dead hole. Just a lot of people sitting around talking and drinking and most with a few years on us. Distinctly remember they were only one drink visits on each occasion and the whinging by the lads about the prices when we got outside.

I seem to remember that it had only just opened and our lot was real chuffed about the 'secret' club we could get into without any trouble.

But, most definitely a club up on the left hand side.

I do not think so, LizzieM. slywink

This place had a fairly large pub style bar on the right hand side of the room as you came through the entrance door; with all the usual paraphernalia, stools at the bar and barmen. Cubicles from memory around the walls and waitress service. It was narrow to start with and then opened out into a fair sized room that went back a fair distance. Even had a manager type gent walking the floor and placed people at the tables. Smiffy or his brother should remember the layout?

We never went into the room itself but stayed near the bar.

Looking back, I suppose they were trying to style it on an American speak-easy?

I have checked my previous content because I am sure that I queried as to whether anybody remembered the club on one of the lanes running north from St Peters Gate, across from the church and accessed through a single door. Both that question and my contents search got the same thing - nothing.

And if it was not Exchange Walk, it was one of the next ones along such as Park Lane or Bank Place but I will still lay money on Exchange Walk.

On both occasions we went there, we were in Ian Bells' clapped out, black coloured Rover with running boards that his parents had bought him and he used to park it on the church side of SPG next to the stone wall and we walked straight across the road.

Whatever and wherever that place was...it couldn't have lasted long.In the early sixties I knew every dive and den of iniquity in town...and I've never heard of it.

Early 60's was too early for me, it was sometime around 1967 onwards.

After my Brothers comments I am leaning towards Trinity Walk, definitely stairs up from street level, they only played soul & motown.

Ultra Violet lights, mirror ball, DJ etc etc, not a large room.

After this closed (a year later?) we would go to the Beachcomber which (I think?) may have become the Kool Kat.

Another club which had moved from the Drury Hill area to Station St was the Pigalle, although this was probably early 70's?

These may have been covered on other posts on this site so apologies if they have.

Never heard of this one even though I knew nearly all drinking establishments in the early to late 60's. Went to the Calypso once . I think it was on Victoria St or nearby. A big dark man threw me down stairs and had me pinned down in the road. Just before being nutted, I saw my "mates" scarpering up the street. I think it was my 20th birthday outing. Just one of life's character building episodes.

Sounds like the place. I know it wiped the smile off my face when I hit the road. Funnily enough it didn't hurt till the following morning.

Anyone remember the club on Derby Rd Lenton. Somewhere opposite Hillside Shops just city side of QMC. Near the Lodge. I believe the club was upstairs . I have memories of seeing the Small Faces there, but after nearly 50 years, things become somewhat hazy.

Calypso club was opposite st Mary's church high pavement , Commerce square ?

In later years yes...The original Calypso was three floors up on Byard Lane near the Cross Keys pub.

The club on Derby Road was the original Stork Club.

Well done poohbear, Byard Lane, that's where I landed, I think it was still cobbled then. Three floors up that's where I descended in about three seconds flat.