There is a chance the public can make St Georges Day a public holiday (After this year).

Click on the link below to vote, the site needs at least 1,000,000 votes

for the government to take it seriously and give us another holiday.

VOTE NOW

I have voted yes to St George's Day, however, ask the average kid in the street when St Georges Day is and they'll look at you agog! - By the way when IS St George's Day????? englandflag

That's the trouble with this country today.

No patriotism!

In the US the national flag flies everywhere, here its seldom seen?

'Reversed Xenophobia'

Fear of upsetting the immigrant pond life....

Cheers

Robt P.

"London provides but 23% of the national population, but never less than 84% of the national bullshit" - Anon.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

I'll be round at our church yard tonight to watch St George parade past then the Morris dancers will perform in the pub gardens and that will be followed by the lighting of the beacon on the village green at about 20.30hr.

Have a great St Georges day every one

!englandflag!

Rog

The French flag is all white.

I thought it was yellow.

I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't find my English flag this morning, I don't know where it is, I had an alternative choice of two types of Hungarian flag, The RAF flag, Merchant Navy flag, various types of maritime signal flags or a genuine WW2 swastika, actually the flag off the SS headquarters in Brussels.

I did think about flying the latter, but decided it might not be very popular.

Interestingly enough, despite driving around a couple of large local towns today, I only saw a couple of flags, one on a flagpole outside a large country house and another in the window of a hardware shop, perhaps they've all been stolen, along with mine, by members of a certain fundamentalist religious group, mind you, I didn't see any green ones either.

St George was Turkish

As you are probably aware ,Ashley,many theories of St. George abound. I like the one where he aws a brave christian Roman soldier. But alas everyone knows only a Kiwi or an Aussie could fit the bill.

!inthebin!

Didn't quite manage it at Galipoli though did they? maybe Kemel Ataturk was reincarnation of St George, As for the brave christian roman soldier,seem to recall something re some cruxifiction

Yes this was one of Churchill`s biggest ever c#ck-ups ,Ashley,together with the British navy dropping the soldiers in the wrong place!

I know one of the St. Georges was martyred (the Roman soldier,but did not know how he died)

why didn't the aussies use their own navy? or were they fishing that day

Be carefull Ashley, that could be construed as a reference to the exploits of HMAS Sydney, you know, the contemporary Aussie 7000 ton, 8 x 6inch armed naval cruiser, sunk with all hands by a worn out, lightly armed German merchant ship in Aussie waters.

A terrible state of affairs, but perhaps it had something to do with starting off the Aussie obsession of deciding to attempt to swim better than anyone else.

Firstly ,Firbeck, Ashley was talking about the 1st world war and not the second.

HMAS Sydney ( I presume this is the one of the 5 that carried the name) was sunk in the 2nd.

world war by an act of gross deceit on the part of the Germans.

(Engaged the disguised German merchant raider Kormoran off Western Australia in 1941 - the ships sank each other. Discovery of the wreck was announced on 17 March 2008 following the discovery of Kormoran's wreckage one day earlier.)

The RAN was under the command of the Admiralty in the FIRST world war that Ashley refers to ,NOT the 2nd which you have brought into the equation.

The RAN with the loss of only 10 men eliminated the Germans from the South Pacific and South Atlantic, in the 1st world war.

The German Pacific Squadron had been destroyed

off the Falkland Islands in December 1914 and the Royal Navy—with RAN

assistance—had gradually hunted down those other German warships still

abroad.

‘The young Australian Navy’ one naval officer recalled, ‘was scattered over

the seven seas, and at one and the same time Australian Ships were at Fiji,

New Guinea, on the coasts of Australia, at German East Africa, in the North

Sea, at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and on the coast of Brazil; surely a wonderful

distribution for such a small Fleet.’

On 19 November 1941, HMAS Sydney, a light cruiser of the Royal Australian Navy with an impressive record of war service, was lost following a battle with the German raider HSK Kormoran in the Indian Ocean off the Western Australian coast. The loss of the Sydney with its full war complement of 645 remains Australia’s worst naval disaster. The Kormoran was also sunk, but 317 of its crew of 397 were rescued.

Here we arrive at the utter humbug Firbeck`s comment.

"2 million dead in Pakistan, funny isn't it"

He makes agreat play on the morality of this fragment of a joke about repatriation(imagined), but fails to realise the grief caused by the loss of 645 young Australians.

Respectful and Honourable ANZAC DAY to you all.

• 9 years later...

I agree with that, we should celebrate St George’s Day, why not when we have St Patrick’s Day celebrations?  But at the same time, get rid of Commi Day.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

I agree with that, we should celebrate St George’s Day, why not when we have St Patrick’s Day celebrations?  But at the same time, get rid of Commi Day.  

Of course we should celebrate St George's Day.  He was Greek after all..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Just like our dearly beloved Duke of Athe.... err..  Edinburgh.  :)

But.. all joking aside, we shouldn't be ashamed to celebrate our English (adopted) saint, or fly our English Flag.  We shouldn't let racists, Xenophobes or other idiots appropriate it. It belongs to us all.

But Lizzie.. what is 'Commi Day'?

Wasn't May day chosen by the workers and communists parties when they tried to start an 'International Workers Day'?

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is Plastic Freedom ?

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Brew said:

Wasn't May day chosen by the workers and communists parties when they tried to start an 'International Workers Day'?

The school my sons went to didn’t acknowledge May Day, it was school as normal.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We should abandon May Day, and add a day to Whitsuntide, if anyone remembers that !