Anything remotely to do with the word Labour, I mentally dismiss immediately.

Whitstable ! Oyster weekend ! Yummy.

• Like 2

We was going to have a "Conservative day" but they kept putting it off,couldn't decide when to have it

Rog

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Anything remotely to do with the word Labour, I mentally dismiss immediately.

Whitstable ! Oyster weekend ! Yummy.

Once bought a dozen oysters once, at Whitstable , only nine worked. :sorry:

• Like 1

I enjoy oysters but you can have too many. Some years ago three of us took a Piper Cherokee on a flying club trip to the Quiberon peninsular in Brittany. There was a welcome at the airfield where we were each given half a dozen oysters and a bottle of local wine. One of our party was a strictly meat and two veg man so myself and other friend split his oysters between us. It was late afternoon and were driven to our hotel to await the evening banquet. After a few pre dinner Kirs we were ushered into the dining room to be greeted by another half a dozen oysters each and of course we split our friend's uneaten ones. The next course was ray wing. A whole bloody great ray wing. By that time my stomach was a little delicate so I made my excuses and left the table to regurgitate. In those days I could do that and return to the table looking fresh and eager for the next course. Not today I doubt. I still like oysters though.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Col, I'm not getting into a political conflict, but not everyone who voted to leave is a xenophobic racist. As I've said elsewhere, I voted remain, because I could foresee the current difficulties we're now enduring. However, deep down I want out. 

I don't mind EU residents living here. It's the outrageous and unnecessary laws that I despise, and the endless gravy train costing us billions !

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

It's the outrageous and unnecessary laws that I despise

As if we needed help with those! One government within living memory created over three thousand (3,023, almost one a day during their term on office) criminal offences. As an example did you know it's a criminal offence to sell a game bird that was killed on a Sunday?  selling any animal or plant, or eggs or seeds not native to this country, selling grey squirrels,  selling Polish potatoes  - the list goes on and on... and nothing to do with the EU!

Edit:

Oh and you better not cause a nuclear explosion 'cos that's naughty too.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Col, I'm not getting into a political conflict, but not everyone who voted to leave is a xenophobic racist. As I've said elsewhere, I voted remain, because I could foresee the current difficulties we're now enduring. However, deep down I want out. 

I don't mind EU residents living here. It's the outrageous and unnecessary laws that I despise, and the endless gravy train costing us billions !

No conflict here Fly, but you're going to have to give me examples of those 'outrageous and unnecessary laws'.  :)

58 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

examples of those 'outrageous and unnecessary laws'.

I voted remain but you asked for examples.

Bananas? Limiting the wattage of kettles and toasters, you may eat horse meat OK, but not from  pet horses. There are probably others.

I wrote earlier of a government creating over 3000 new criminal offences but if we include none criminal (EU limits on toaster wattage type laws) then that same government created..... wait for it......

26,849 new laws!

For balance I have to say the previous two governments scored 19.287 and 15,212 respectively... and you think the EU law makers crazy....

• Like 2

Leave or stay those rules are now UK law and will remain so. There will be no reversal, no return to a golden age of sweetness and light - it never existed in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Brew said:

I voted remain but you asked for examples.

Bananas? Limiting the wattage of kettles and toasters, you may eat horse meat OK, but not from  pet horses. There are probably others.

I wrote earlier of a government creating over 3000 new criminal offences but if we include none criminal (EU limits on toaster wattage type laws) then that same government created..... wait for it......

26,849 new laws!

For balance I have to say the previous two governments scored 19.287 and 15,212 respectively... and you think the EU law makers crazy....

Bananas is a myth, or at best a distortion of the actual regs.,as are many similar alleged rules. 

Limiting wattage is designed to improve efficiency and therefore help the environment. It has little or no effect on the actual performance of appliances when properly designed. Our VAX (Made in Britain) Vacuum cleaner is very light, power efficient and sucks like the proverbial.. 

And of course many of what you call 'laws' are no such thing. They are regulations, or changes to regs.

I've now switched all lamps in my house to either LED or a few remaining 'curly tube' types.  LED lighting is developing at ridiculous speed, is far more efficient than traditional filaments lamps and cheaper long term.  I first fitted LED lamps in my bathroom ceiling. That was years ago and none have failed. In fact non of the LED lamps I've fitted anywhere have failed.

Not much missing here, and that's not counting the halogen and other options:..

https://www.diy.com/departments/lighting/light-bulbs/led/_/N-9urZ1z140lb#icamp=D3C_LI_LB_R_D_0009

Horsemeat?  It's not really a major issue is it?

The basic point is that a 40 year drip feed of malicious gossip and rumour from those who stand to gain by leaving the EU, has 'conditioned' the public into believing that 'we can't make our own laws'.  This is 99.9% rubbish.  In order to get the huge benefits ( mostly tarriff free trade, but also cooperation on scientific research, regional regeneration funding , environental protection and decent employment rights), we have to play by certain rules. 

Freedom of Movement is probably the most contentious, but again.. has been distorted and lied about. Citizens of any EU country can live and work in any other EU country.  Millions of Brits are doing just that, yet the Leave campaign present a one sided view of a one way traffic and somehow manage to link it to Black and Asian immigration.  I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me which EU country is ethnically Black or Asian.

And of course now that EU residents are wary of coming here to work in Social Care or the NHS, they are being replaced by immigrants from Asia.  A massive own goal for Leave if immigration bothers them as much as they say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are silly rules but I don't want to open the Brexit debate, I've stated my view.

Let's set out first and foremost most EU laws are actually directives and member states have a choice about adopting them under article 114.

Why do we use pounds and not Euros? - because we said no, we opted out!

Taking the period '99 - '16 the UK voted NO on 56 directives, abstained on 70 and accepted without making a fuss...  2466

Now the silly rules. The IEC lead, commonly called a kettle lead, it is a legal requirement for every appliance that uses them to be supplied with a new one. We have several redundant in our house. Europe wide there must be a mountain of copper and plastic waste. Why not make it an option?

The EU's Ecodesign directive proposes outlawing high-wattage devices including electric kettles, hair dryers, wifi routers and smartphones, obviously one can only assume the basic laws of physics work differently over there. 

The horses, does it matter? No, it's just an example of the subject matter, silly rules.

Bananas.

EU rule 2257/94 doesn't ban them it classifies them thus:

That bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”. Those sold as “extra class” must be perfect, “class 1” can have “slight defects of shape” and “class 2” can have full-scale “defects of shape”.  Really, was such rules necessary? Did they not think the average shopper capable of rejecting a dodgy banana? 

It was repealed (no pun intended) in 2006 after fears of mass banana dumping.

There is a directive that prohibits labelling bottled water as hydrating because they have no evidence that water hydrates people..

So all in all the EU does produce silly rules but each member state can reject them if they wish. It doesn't make sense therefore to bash the EU we had a choice..

• Like 4

Very well put Brew.

But. 

The EU's Ecodesign directive proposes outlawing high-wattage devices including electric kettles, hair dryers, wifi routers and smartphones, obviously one can only assume the basic laws of physics work differently over there. 

Not sure I've ever seen a 'high wattage' Smartphone or wi fi router.  My phone charges off USB at 5v and has a battery capacity of 2100mAh.  My router also runs off a low voltage 'wall wart' and has a stated power consumption of around 15 w.

Not sure about the IEC leads but I suppose that using old ones for a long time could eventually lead to safety issues, or ones with an incorrect fuse fitted.  But, whatever, that would hardly be likely to turn me into a 'leaver'.

• Like 2

IEC leads are fitted with BS1362 fuses Col rated at 13amps. Remember the fuse protects the cable not the appliance. 13A is the max, fitting a lower rated fuse will not  make the lead unsafe, pretty useless, but safe

Hi power smartphones relates to both the radiated power and the new contactless rapid chargers.

Your router uses around 15w -  they want it to stay there and not grow as WiFi output becomes more powerful.

I don't need to explain the silliness of high power kettle restriction

Not sure how, or if, this is relevant, but many years ago my daughter was using a hairdryer that was sold as a a 'Turbo 2000' or somesuch.  As she waved it about, there was a sharp 'crack' then a flame very similar to an oxy/acetylene welding flame shot out of the cable about a foot from the dryer.  Naturally, she dropped the dryer and the flame made a deep scorch about 6" long on a nearly new carpet.  Scary.

As for kettles.  My wife is the biggest power consumer in the EU. She chose a nice kettle from Dunelm which goes well with the kitchen.  It's rated at 2500-3000w.. which is fine, but she insists on always filling it to the top, so she boils half a gallon of water everytime she wants a mug of coffee.  So far.. all of my appeals to logic have failed.  She'll even shout at me from the other room. " There's not enough water in that kettle!!!", because she insists it sounds different if the level is too low.  It does sound different with less water in, but it's not too low.  I've demonstrated this to her numerous times by filling my cup and then two or three more with boiled water.. but she won't have it. 

'Wimmin' Eh?

I've explained about not filling the kettle to brim sooo many times... Still it usually means it saves me a trip to the tap as there is always sufficient water for my tea so every cloud...

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

But he was a Greek, a Roman soldier and never came to England!   Why is he England’s Patron saint?  
A holiday would be nice for all you working people, though...

He was Greek you say!... bah, you'll be telling us next he never killed a dragon....    :rolleyes:

St George died by decapitation at the hands of the Romans because he refused to deny his Christian faith.   There was no dragon involved.....

He was decapitated by the Roman authorities for refusing to deny his Christian faith...