• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate that everyone has their own taste in music. As a 60's teenager I was not that bothered about the Merseysound and I don't think I had any LPs other than The Beatles. I really loved Motow

Yes FLY, there are lots of singers, bands, people, politicians, habits that most of us can't abide but why make bilious comments. All it does it make us appear to be miserable sods. Best to keep qui

I saw the Faces at Nottingham University back in 1970 when they were really exciting and original. He was handing out bottles of wine but wouldn't give me any because I had smuggled in a pint of Newcc

Oh stop it, I can't contain messen ......... We've got front row seats in Stoke-onTrent on 14th June. Hoping this time I manage to catch a football!!

I saw the Faces at Nottingham University back in 1970 when they were really exciting and original. He was handing out bottles of wine but wouldn't give me any because I had smuggled in a pint of Newccy Brown.

I saw them later on at the Sherwood Rooms when it was clear that Stewart was heading on a different path. I gave up after the album 'Every Picture Tells a Story'.

You're all welcome to his self indulgent, naff rubbish.

Incidentally, we surveyed and set out his football pitch at Epping, it had to be an exact copy of Celtic's pitch, warts an all. Nice bloke, everyone's pal, but as for the music he's churned out over the past 40 years, no thank you, what a waste of a brilliant talent, money, fame and sex clearly got the better of him.

• Upvote 3

Loved Rod Stewart in steam packet, and went to see him in September 1972 at the sherwood rooms with the faces. It was the end of Rod Stewart after "every picture tells a story "

So sad that he sold his a..e to the devil and became a pop star !!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Well said Firbeck and hippogirl. I too used to greatly admire Rod in Steam Packet and Shotgun Express days. Seen them at Dungeon and afterwards Rod, Julie Driscoll and Long John Baldry came to a party at my mates house in Ilkeston. Great night except we couldn't keep LJB off the brandy. Jeff Beck Band were also fantastic. Their album Truth is one of the best rock albums ever. Faces concerts were always a good party, plenty of wine always on offer. So I have seen all bands with Rod in many times. We used to cadge or acquire Students Union Cards and obtain tickets for Notts Uni, Trent Poli, Loughborough Uni, Leicester Art College etc etc and see the Faces maybe 4 or 5 times in a week. Got all albums, but didn't like Smiler or Atlantic Crossing. When that appalling single Tonight's The Night came out, I gave up as the writing was on the wall. As I stated elsewhere on this forum, his was the biggest sell out in the history of popular music. Also his love of and incessant mentioning of Celtic and Man U really pi553s me off. How does he get away with promoting a club that have in the past financially supported the IRA. If someone regaled Rangers in the same way they'd be ostracised continually.

Loved your early music Rod, but in the rock and blues fraternity, you are regarded as an A 1 tw*t.

Anyway Lizzie, have a great night.

Yes, she was also on of my all time favs so beautiful with her cropped hair and gorgeous eyes.

Hippogirl, the Sherwood Rooms reminded me of another of my alcohol fuelled escapades. I had been to the Rainbow Rooms to see either Screaming Lord Sutch or the Social Deviants and had a vast amount of vodka & lime in the Admiral Duncan and was very sick at my mates house after driving there after the show.Yes I know, very naughty, but that's how it was In the 60s. A few weeks later we were at the Sherwood Rooms , can't remember who was on and a girl came up to me and said " You were bad the other week weren't you " I replied that I was but so what. She then went on to explain that I was seen in the ladies loo at the R Rooms weeing in a sink . It was my memory playing up, the gents was on the left at one venue and on the right at the other. Another embarrassing occurrence due to over indulgence in drink. Many more were due to happen in the future though. Great days.

Basfordred you naughty boy...

The first time I went to the sherwood rooms was to see the Merseybeats .......and yes I probably was naughty too!!!!!cant remember p....g in the sink but can remember snogging one of the band!!!!!!LOL

I appreciate that everyone has their own taste in music. As a 60's teenager I was not that bothered about the Merseysound and I don't think I had any LPs other than The Beatles. I really loved Motown and Soul and still do (although now I tend to listen to the orchestral backing as much if not more than the singing.). Like a lot of you I saw Rod at various locations in different bands around Nottingham but never saw him with the Faces ........ only saw Small Faces with Stevie Marriott, God rest his soul. My tastes haven't changed that much in 50 years but I have appreciated a much wider spectrum of music over the years, ranging from Pavarotti (who we saw in the 90's at Wembley Arena) to The Stones (at Twickenham a few years ago). I went off Rod in the 70s and 80s but in the past 10 years have made an effort to see him in concert. He's a fantastic showman and I don't care what others say and think. Every time a new tour is announced I feel that it may be the last so try to get to see the boy. The same applied to Tina Turner, love her too. We went to her Farewell Concert at the old Wembley Stadium in 2000, thinking that would be the last time she performed in England. Then saw her in Miami in 2008, thinking that she wouldn't be performing in UK ever again, only to find that she was doing her stuff in 6" heels a few months later in Sheffield, so got tickets for that too. These artists are getting old, just like we are and when they finally give up that will be it. For me this is hanging onto what I remember and love.

• Upvote 6

I like some of Rod's stuff but I also appreciate the fact that like myself he loves his model railways.

Me too bilbraborn , a great way to be relaxed and content.

I like some of Rod's stuff but I also appreciate the fact that like myself he loves his model railways.

I watched the programme 'Imagine' that sparked this off about Rod Stewart when it was first shown last year. I thought it was excellent, especially the unique early documentary footage of him when he was starting out. I have to say that he was a bit reticent about going into detail about his model railway, I gather it's all based on North American practice, does anyone know anymore about it.? I reckon he would have a job competing with Pete Waterman's fantastic GWR set up, I was watching a programme about the history of the 45 single on BBC4 the other night, Pete's entry into his studio/office was lined with the most mouth watering, awe inspiring steam loco nameplates and headboards, no doubt just the tip of the iceberg too.

Incidentally Bilbraborn, have you got a layout then, I remember your Trix system, I was trying to scrounge the Black 5 off you 50 years ago even though it wouldn't work on my Hornby Dublo system, which I still have, times 100+ since you last saw it, I'll e-mail you about that!

I like your response Lizzie, we are all clearly getting on in years but were lucky enough to be around during what I consider to be the era of the music revolution. Some people, particularly Paul Macartney, should realise they can't sing anymore and retire gracefully. As for the Stones, I thought their Glastonbury/Hyde Park performances were incredible, even my missus ( of a different age and era { Wham! }), who dislikes the Stones, thought they sounded bloody good!

Perhaps someone should start off a thread concerning the top performers who let us down in some ways ( I can think of quite a few ) or has it been done before.

Just noted Basfordred's comment, whats your model railway about then, shall we start a new thread!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The remaining Faces (Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood and Kenney Jones) are together tonight to perform at Kenney's Polo Club in Ewhurst Surrey. It's an event to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK. I knew about this months ago and really wished I'd got tickets now.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing how many stars go out of their way in respect of charity work... Well done lads.

• Upvote 1

I know Lizzie, I've heard about it. Thanks.

Could never stand Odd Rod, he can't sing, has an odd shape (skinny legs) do not know what women saw in him either.......self opinionated little sh??e who just went out of his way to use women, make them pregnant and then throw them on one side...........Na, not a fan of mine I'm afraid........

• Upvote 2