• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very old friend of ours has had this model railway set up in the basement of his various homes around the United States. Thought some of you may be interested to see a few pics. [/url]

Well just returned from the exhibition, very interesting to see what some people have achieved with such a small scale. Tons of books on all sorts of railways could have spent a fortune, luckily left

I went but didn't think it was as good as previous years. There were not so many round layouts, I get bored with fiddlers and shunting etc. however, Kimberly was very good . I got talking to an old Colwick driver who was familiar with the area and that made it even better. There didn't seem much decent second hand items for sale so I'll stick to EBay for a bit. At least I didn't spend much.

• 1 month later...

Just received some Maunsell coaches I'd purchased from various sellers on EBay . I can use these on the Bournmouth - York if ever I get the darn thing set up. As the next few days are going to be showery, I'll weather them and add some detail. Keep me out of trouble while madam is at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somone tell me the length of each sleeper in "N" gauge track please?

• 10 months later...

Took delivery today of a Bachmann D11 Director 'Prince Albert'

I used to see this engine regularly at Vic on the Nottm - Sheffields. Beautiful engines, once the pride of the GC.

Sorry Pete. I forgot all the other stuff I had. I also had an original Graham Farish train set.

That must have been the Class 5 that I wanted to buy from you, it had tender drive and some weird AC electric motor system that would have been impossible to convert to Hornby Dublo 3 rail. I've still got the Graham Farish King body that I bought to convert one of my Hornby 00 Castles. This came from the model railway shop that was opposite Long Eaton station, was it called Fox Model Railways, or as some people referred to the owner 'Rob Dog's'. I didn't do a bad deal, my Castle body plus a reasonable amount of cash for the King plus front bogie and brass chimney. With a bit of filing it worked, but never looked right, the wheels didn't line up with the splashers. When my Hornby rennaisance occurred later I bought a Castle body and tender plus a fully operating Mallard from Colchester Model Railway exhibition for the princely sum of £25, the King was abandoned and the Castle restored.

Surely the Model railway shop opposite Long Eaton Railway station was Bob Denny. He was there years but only opened selective hours.

Bob Denny it was.

• 1 month later...

Just taken delivery of the Hornby model of the Thompson K1. A beautiful engine that was an occasional visitor to Colwick and Annesley, and also Vic.

I must get this loft done. Stuffs been ready to build a layout for years !!

• 3 months later...

I've got 11 pieces of chipboard 900 x 600 x15mm. approx. not new but good condition. free for collection, Hempshill Vale, Bulwell.

Anyone interested? pm me!

• Upvote 1

Hi Albert, this would come in very handy . I'll pm you.

• 4 weeks later...

Just taken delivery of the latest offering from Hornby, the Crosti boilered variant of the Standard 9F . What a magnificent model it is.

I must get on with weathering it to make it more authentic.

Anyone remember the camera shop near the top of Friar Lane? It used to sell Hornby stuff. I had a nice 3 rail set in the late 50s

My dad used to take me in on the way to catch the bus home (56 or 60 on Granby St).

Mess#41, i bought a camera from there, used to get the 56/60 on Granby St. to Wigman Rd, also went down to Woollies t buy me Airfix model planes, run back to bus terminus and often got back on the same bus i had come on.

I knew a lad called Terence Lane who I went to Beechdale Primary School with in 1955-61. He lived on Plungar Close. Not you is it Terrence12?

• 4 weeks later...

I had a nice trip out last week, looking at some 'big boy's' toys like these two 'Big Boy's', "G" gauge, I think, should hear the whistle/siren filled the hall!

P9260034260915_121710_21_zps8ozcs7rr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A very old friend of ours has had this model railway set up in the basement of his various homes around the United States. Thought some of you may be interested to see a few pics.
Posted Image[/urlPosted Image]>

• Upvote 5

That's fantastic Lizzie, I just wish I had the space, time and sufficient funds ! One day!

• 3 weeks later...

Dave N (#30). I was a member of the Gee Dee MRC in Hockley for a time, as well. Can't remember much about it, apart from helping to operate the club layout above the Elite cinema, on the same day as the students Rag Week procession went by, and throwing coins down from the top floor windows.

Some of you refer to a seller in the Central Market. I have a dim memory of a miniature ride on railway being there at one time.

• 2 months later...

Just seen in the modelling mags that the Heljan model of Gresley's class O2 2-8-0 is near its release date. These were another beautiful engine that sometimes frequented Vic station.

I'm pre ordering one as a birthday present from the grandkids.

• Upvote 1

#48 Hi FLY2. Read some of the reviews in the LNER FORUM (model railway section)

Just type LNER FORUM into Google then scroll down to model railways, then look for the topic.

I'll give it a go now, thanks.

Thanks Smiffy, I've just read the last page (most recent) I'll catch up on the rest when I've more time.

I've seen this forum previously, but never got round to investigating it. Thanks.