I took delivery yesterday of the Heljan model of the Gresley O2 2-8-0. What a beautiful model this is and will definitely complement my existing stock. I'd eventually get it set up in the loft if I didn't spend so much time on here.

Anyway, I'll let the grandkids have it in readiness for my birthday present.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very old friend of ours has had this model railway set up in the basement of his various homes around the United States. Thought some of you may be interested to see a few pics. [/url]

Well just returned from the exhibition, very interesting to see what some people have achieved with such a small scale. Tons of books on all sorts of railways could have spent a fortune, luckily left

• 2 weeks later...

Taken delivery of a Hornby B17 today. Renumbered and renamed 61666 Nottingham Forest. A brilliant addition to the collection.

• Upvote 1

They're a rarity fully working.

This one is in near perfect condition Fly2. There was an A4 three rail loco and tender at £45 in fairly good nick but a bit beyond my wallet for a keepsake.

• 1 month later...

Earlier this week the longest Ghan passenger train in over a decade left Adelaide for Darwin a journey of 3000 km (1864 miles)

The train was 1.1.km (1203 yards) long.

If you wanted to model this train in your layouts then in HO gauge it would be nearly 14 yards long or in N gauge 7 and a half yards long you would need a big room.

The longest train in Australia was an iron ore train 682 wagons, 8 locomotives, nearly 100,000 tons and 4.5 miles long

Jesus Christ, I'd need a bigger loft for that lot.

• 2 months later...

Took delivery of a model of an ex GC J11 locomotive by Bachmann today. Absolutely brilliant engine.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have experience with N gauge please.

Up to date my hobby was scale model radio controlled boats, but as the years advance I find it harder to launch and retrieve models. With this in mind I am thinking of building a N gauge layout on what used to be my modelling bench which is some 6ft x 2ft.

There is a tremendous variety of stuff out there of varying quality it seems so am looking for advice on the best track.

Would you be looking at frieght or passenger traffic, a made up line or would you base it on a particular line,say GC in Nottingham, or something from the Midland station toward Colwick, There's plenty of info on model rail sites on the web,I'm not a model rail way builder or owner myself but I do like to see a good layout, there's plenty of youtube video's as well

Rog

• Upvote 1

I did have a go with N Gauge a few years ago. I built the layout on a door. I thought it was a bit too fiddly in the end and gave up on it. I'm certain I saw a few lengths of track and some points recently which you would be welcome to. I'll have a look in my shed tomorrow. I believe I saw a sign for a model railway exhibition in Sherwood next weekend when I turned out of Woodthorpe Drive into Mansfield Rd. last week. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I have yet to make my mind up whether to model a place or use my imagination. A real location might not give a lot to do on a 2ft x 6ft board.

I appreciate its fiddly Phil but I am used to that with scale boats and of course I have all the modelling tools already including big illuminated magnifying lenses. LOL

Things seem to have come on a lot over the last decade or so especially with the model engines.

As I get all my fun from the build I will probably end up doing what I used to do with radio controlled boats, build to a good standard, make sure it works as it should and e-bay it, ready to start again.

Off now to find out about the exhibition.

• Like 1

Best of luck with your efforts NBL. I just wish I had time and space in the loft. I must have over 5k worth of stuff at present. 

Every single item is what I saw through Vic in the late 50's to early 60's. 

My intention is to have a representation of Kirkby South Junction with a station based on Daybrook. We'll see.

• Like 1

I well remember Daybrook Station back in the 50's. Twice a day every weekday back and forth to Basford North. The walks to and from the station took far longer than the train journey which was about four minutes. Mind you it was amazing what mischief we could get up to during those for minutes! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I remember seeing withdrawn steam engines stored in the sidings there in the late 60's. The locals from Edwards Lane Estate would regularly fill buckets and boxes of coal from the tenders. I wish I'd had tools to remove shed plates, builders plates, and smoke box number plates. They'd be worth a small fortune nowadays !

I always thought that if I constructed a model railway layout, in N gauge, its extremities would be Basford North, Bulwell Common and New Basford. This would capture the yards and sidings as well as the rat-hole and the spur down to Basford North. Also, of course, it would have the three-level GNR/GC feature, the spur from Basford North to Bulwell Common and the line parallel with Hucknall Road, with its branch to Bulwell Common. Dream on, Chulla.

• Like 1

Get building then Chulla. It'd be a sight to behold that's for sure. Paradise in the spare bedroom.

• Like 1

As schoolboys it always filled us with delight to see a train coming through the rat hole. On some mornings we would walk from Basford North along the trackside path and up the steps to Park Lane. A bit further up we would see the Master Cutler on its way to Victoria Station, then it was down Kersall Drive to get into school just as the bell rang!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just had a quick stock take. I've currently got....

Bachmann D11, J11, O4, K3 x 3, J39 x 2, WD x 2, V2 x 5, Ivatt 4MT, Ivatt 2MT Tank, Standard 5, Standard 4 4-6-0 X 2, Standard 4 2-6-0, B1 x 3.

Heljan O2. Lima Crab. Hornby 9F, Crosti 9F, L1, O1, K1, A3, B17 Nottingham Forest of course, Brit, Ex LMS Class 5.