• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very old friend of ours has had this model railway set up in the basement of his various homes around the United States. Thought some of you may be interested to see a few pics. [/url]

Well just returned from the exhibition, very interesting to see what some people have achieved with such a small scale. Tons of books on all sorts of railways could have spent a fortune, luckily left

Jesus Christ, it doesn't bare thinking about. Where did they come up with that caper. Auschwitz, or the notorious Tokyo Hilton PoW Camp ?

1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

The lady had cataracts removed from both eyes and she was awake all the time, bloody braver than me that's for sure.

Do you mean me?

I'm a bloke.

The surgery is done under a local anaesthetic.

If your need is great enough it's amazing what you will allow to be done to you. I was all but blind before my operation.

Mrs. Loppy had hers done a couple of years ago.  Gave me the willies, but she said it was fine.  Didn't hurt and she said after a couple of days it was like changing from an old tv to high definition.  She doesn't need glasses except for reading.  I'd have it done if I had to, but I'm hoping to avoid it.

• Like 1

My husband had new lenses in both eyes a few weeks ago.  He paid extra for variofocal lenses as he didn’t see the point in going through with all that and still needing to wear glasses for reading. I went with him to the Circle place at QMC, he had 8 days between the operations.  He said the worst bit was the thought of having the local anaesthetic being injected into his eyeballs.  Whilst waiting for him I heard a man crying and being a wimp in a nearby cubicle, haha!  Plastic shield on his eyes at night for a week, eye drops for a month.  He went to the optician for an eye test yesterday and all seems to be good.  At the moment I’m happy with daily contact lenses thanks! 

Phew, it's nice to know that someone has had it done successfully and is pleased with the outcome.

I had a new lens put into my left eye over 15 years ago as , like Jonab, I was nearly blind in that eye before the op.  Afterwards it was like a miracle as my sight was wonderful again.  And the procedure didn't hurt at all.

Unfortunately,  I now have macular degeneration so both eyes are now getting worse, but that is unrelated to the cataract problem I had.

How has this thread moved on from model railways?  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jonab said:

Do you mean me?   I'm a bloke.

The surgery is done under a local anaesthetic. If your need is great enough it's amazing what you will allow to be done to you. I was all but blind before my operation.

Sorry jonab as many on here know 'the lady' is my wife also known as SWMBO.

Any way back to model railways.

Fly going by what you said have you seen the layout Chee Tor, if not the easiest way is to google 'memories of Chee dale' on youtube.

Its basically a country station modelled on Chee Dale with fiddle boards either side to allow a lot of different rolling stock to pass though the front of house scene. One of the builders used to work there as a signalman way back when and gives a running commentary as the trains pass through to the original time table.

Its 2mmFS but something similar could easily be done in N gauge and would give you a chance to use your collection of rolling stock

The commentary on the video by the signalman is a work of fiction. The station never existed, except as a model. The 'facts' are all from the imagination of the people who built it, including the timetable. The dale is a mirror image of the real thing, if I remember correctly. The station buildings are based on those at Cromford. It is all very convincing!

I think the model was bought by someone in America when it was withdrawn from the exhibition circuit.

I think I have seen it NBL, but I wanted somewhere more of a local area, even if somewhat imaginary. I'll still give it another look though. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at last the baseboard is complete giving me an area of 68" x 26", not brilliant but good enough for my first attempt at n gauge.

I have decided to make the 20" fiddle yard detachable to make transportation easier should I sell when complete, the rails will be joined using insulating joiners and the yard wired separately.

As regards to what I am leaning toward using Lapford station on the Tarka line in Devon, as a basis but with a few extras. The line is still in use so I have yet to decide on what period I shall set it in.

Now to the planning and marking out stage, before laying any track. Oh and if anyone sees me going wrong please shout up, I would sooner find out earlier than later.

baseboard.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked on the Nottingham exhibition in March, full list of layouts including 'Rise Park' set in the 1960s and a list of stall holders now available.

Catfan did you know that the Nottingham model railway society was originally the Bulwell club formed in 1971 when all members were from Bulwell bus depot.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 8:45 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Now to the planning and marking out stage, before laying any track. Oh and if anyone sees me going wrong please shout up, I would sooner find out earlier than later.

Just a quick one from observation, but would advise that you connect the two baseboards.!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Well we have made a start track laying, having to learn some new skills, still only one buggered point and one cut thumb so far..

Glad that you followed my advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well things have changed somewhat, when I started to really get into it I was reminded of the small scale and that 1/2mm equals about 3" in real life and loco's do not jump up 3" steps. Having had a good look I decided to take it to bits, save what I could and start again, if it's going to happen it may as well be right.

This is the new layout a facsimile of a plan for Falmouth dock station and a proposed container depot. The plans were drawn up in the 80s I believe but never brought to fruition so there is some lee way.

And not a 3" step anywhere.

Train_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1