Anyone heard of this Henge?

After discovering that the Ladybay area was known as Burrowhill (Barrow) a possible site of earthworks long ploughed out. I've read up more about the Trent Valley we live in...It appears there may be many exciting finds to be discovered yet in this little known part of England.Historians aren't sure if this site is a Bronze age Henge or medieval earthworks,but the proximity of the Trent makes a Henge likely.

http://www.pastscape.org/hob.aspx?hob_id=1087656#aSt

sottmg.jpg

29x7tqp.jpg

I wonder how many more finds will turn up in the future...more like this link below perhaps?

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/10/2011/new-romano-british-village-appears-in-quarry-excavation

• Upvote 4

I imagine Gunthorpe would be a natural place for past civilisations with its close proximity to the Trent. Didn't they find stuff in the gravel pits at Hoveringham?

When Margiduunum island at Bingham was being redesigned on the old A46 about 30 or 40 years ago, the workers found lead coffins with remains inside. I believe some were claimed by farmers for animal feed troughs. It was thought the coffins were Roman but I don't know if was confirmed.

When Margiduunum island at Bingham was being redesigned on the old A46 about 30 or 40 years ago, the workers found lead coffins with remains inside. I believe some were claimed by farmers for animal feed troughs. It was thought the coffins were Roman but I don't know if was confirmed.

from my watching of time team, a lead lined coffin is most likely roman!

• 6 months later...

Looking very hard at the photos, I dont think it could be a henge. its not perfectly circular, its not anywhere prominent where it could catch the light (Henges are to some extent involved with astronomy).

It does look like its close to a small river or stream, which would make it more likely its an oxbow formation from a previous deviation in the stream.