This wasn't hardship! It was the norm!. Our dads didn't have cars and if he did have one, he wouldn't have took me to school in it.

I believe my school walk was around 3/4 of a mile, rain, snow, fog sun....

Gas street lights and the feller who came weekly on his pushbike with a short ladder to clean the lights, wind the time switch up, set the on and off times and change the mantle when necessary..

Night watchmen, who stood guard over holes dug in the roads.

Policemen, who patrolled their beat, on nights checked shop doors to make sure they were locked.

Sunday's, when everything was "dead", very few shops open, except off licenses and sweet shops.

Streets where hardly a car was seen and safe for us kids to play on all day.

In fact kids out playing....LOL

• Upvote 5

A big sticking plaster over one lens of the national health glasses, for the kids with a 'lazy eye'. Short back and sides for the boys, pigtails for the girls, with a big bow on the end of each. Navy blue school knickers, long like bloomers, with a pocket in them for your hankie. Liberty bodices with rubber buttons, that was on top of a vest and underneath a petticoat. Gym slips with big pleats in them. Hand knitted jumpers and cardigans because it was cheaper to knit than to buy. Angora wool boleros to wear with your party frock.

Winding the living room clock up every night

We still have a 30 day pendulum wall clock in the lounge (with the chimes switched off.

A 'crapper' in the house, not very sanitary!

A big sticking plaster over one lens of the national health glasses, for the kids with a 'lazy eye'.

That was me, I had a 'squint', later corrected by surgery.

#28 Katyjay,thats the 1st time ive heard anyone mention a Liberty Boddice since i was about 10,me mam made me wear one till i was that age (had pneumonia when baby) remember getting changed for PT school and getting funny looks,never knew another lad to wear one.

Amongst the wonderful jobs I was tasked with, was clearing the fire grate out, and setting the fire ready, also I was in charge of the tin bath that hung on the viaduct wall in the back yard.

I always had to clean it before and after we used it (mind you that was only once a week). So I thought it would be a good idea, to build summat that I could hang over it to keep the trains embers and soot off on it. (Another brainwave I thought was a good idea - Tsk!).

I scrounged some wood, and set to trying build a cover - but unfortunately, I lost me patience wi' me constant failure to erect it right, and used back of the wood chopper/axe on the last few nails. The chopper head broke off!

I asked me Dad if I could have 3/2d fer a new un - what did he do? He got me job in the wood yard, a second paper round, and a Saturday job at Heasons so I could pay fer it!

Wouldn't 'appen today would it?

Happy days! (Maybe?)

A big sticking plaster over one lens of the national health glasses, for the kids with a 'lazy eye'. Short back and sides for the boys, pigtails for the girls, with a big bow on the end of each. Navy blue school knickers, long like bloomers, with a pocket in them for your hankie. Liberty bodices with rubber buttons, that was on top of a vest and underneath a petticoat. Gym slips with big pleats in them. Hand knitted jumpers and cardigans because it was cheaper to knit than to buy. Angora wool boleros to wear with your party frock.

you must have been posh kath angora boleros i was lucky if i got a cardigan but my friends mum often used to give me her hand me downs as she was bigger than me. did it do me any harm , made me realize the value of money. and i was always running erands or baby sitting younger kids taking them for walkes in there prams ect to earn a bit of spending monny.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes babysitting: 5 bob a night, send the little horrors to bed early, as much grub as you want, you're mates come round but make sure they've cleared off before the parents get back. Parents came back early one night & my mates had to run out the back door quick sharp. :)

• Upvote 1

New LINO gave me away,the girls who legged it out the back door had left the indents of their STILLETO HEELS,mam went barmy

New LINO gave me away,the girls who legged it out the back door had left the indents of their STILLETO HEELS,mam went barmy

Your lucky - I had a devil of of a job gettin' em into the house. Hehehe!

• Upvote 1

Babs, my mam was a knitter, she made the bolero, but it only came out with the party frock! All my cardi's etc were hand knitted, only posh folks bought theirs!

my mum was not much of a sewer and inever saw her knighting at all when i was young did see her make a few square pan/ kettle holders from oddments of wool given to her bey other people and as she got older she had a go at knighting squares for a blanket but it never got very big think one of the granddaughters had it for her dolls pram. but her mum from what i was told was always ill when she was small and died when she was about 15 / so she was never taught how to knit or sew .or do any household thing but for some reason she was always a good cookand her pastry was to die forbut she always had cold hands and i think that helped..