• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have mentioned before about my 'shaky left hand' (i am left handed) when writing,shaving,eating etc,(its called essential.tremor)......its only when i try to use it that it shakes......,Pills work f

Been practising my 'right handed writing.........seems funny using the 'right digits'....but certainly better than my 'shaky left'..........even shaved with right hand this morning.......was ok once i

They say that 'left handedness' is a sign of Genius...............

Been practising my 'right handed writing.........seems funny using the 'right digits'....but certainly better than my 'shaky left'..........even shaved with right hand this morning.......was ok once i had stemmed the bleeding.........

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I write left handed but used to bat right handed.  When I could still hold a bat....

I am also ambidextrous in both feet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Interesting to see that William is a southpaw and, thankfully, he's been allowed to stay that way, unlike his great grandfather, George VI. Bertie was a natural lefthander who was forced to use the other hand. Result, crippling stammer. We now know better, thank goodness, although there were children at school with me who were naturally left hand dominant and forced to use their right hand by some of the older teaching staff.

• Upvote 1

I am a 'Southpaw' Jill..............and whilst the teachers were all ok with it when it came to Woodwork and Metalwork all the benches are made for right handers..........hence i'm crap at anything to do with being handy just hate it.......cant mend owt or mek owt........did you know left handers even cross their arms opposite way to lefties?

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Being left handed
21 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I am a 'Southpaw' Jill..............and whilst the teachers were all ok with it when it came to Woodwork and Metalwork all the benches are made for right handers..........hence i'm crap at anything to do with being handy just hate it.......cant mend owt or mek owt........did you know left handers even cross their arms opposite way to lefties?

Yes, Ben. Left-handers do a lot of things differently. They write 'uphill' and actually have to push the pen or pencil. For that reason, a left-handed child should sit on a slightly higher chair than a right handed child as it makes things easier for them. I'm pleased that you weren't punished at school for being left-handed. I think it depended largely on the teacher but I know of one at Berridge whose method was to whack the left hand of anyone who dared to write with it, using several taped-together wooden rulers!

Not being a 'Leftie' I can't speak from experience. But when writing, as Jill says, one is pushing the pen but surely the hand would be sliding over the written work. How come they don't smudge the work, or do they?

'Intrigued of Tunbridge Wells'

Left handed/right handed, I am a firm believer that it is just the way you think. I have the ability to do most things with either hand but it is not because I have learned to do things left handed. I just take the view that I am doing exactly the same thing whichever hand I use. It used to wind my father up somewhat if he saw me hammering something in a place I couldn't get at too well with my right hand and I would (and still do) just swap hands and do it left handed.

• Upvote 1

My dad can do most things with either hand including writing, as being left handed as a child at school in the 40's he too was rapped on the knuckles with a ruler by teachers if seen using his left hand. Both of my youngest grandchildren aged 7 & 5 are lefties and school nowadays caters for this, even having left handed scissors.

Ive mentioned afore ive got ''Essential Tremor''.........and as luck would have it its in my left hand.....and i find it impossible to write..........used my right hand for a time but it was hard work and looked like a childs writing..........so now i ve given up writing altogether..........

Had an embarrassing incident with a receptionist at Kings Mill hospital recently..........my voice wasnt working and he said....''its ok just write down what youre trying to say''....told him by sign language....

'''CAN'T WRITE''..........

There are so many little things we take for granted until they infringe on your daily life........

• Like 4

@Beekaythat's why they need a slightly higher elevation than right-handers, so that they're not dragging their hand over what they've written. You will sometimes see left-handers curl their hand over the top of the pen in what looks like an excruciatingly uncomfortable grip. If a child has been given the correct facilities to write comfortably with their left hand, such as a higher chair and a left-handed pencil grip, that can be avoided.

A few people are truly ambidextrous quite naturally but most have to work at learning to use their non-dominant hand.

12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:
14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

A few people are truly ambidextrous quite naturally

My wife is under the impression I am, as I spend long periods doing nothing with both hands.

• Like 3

Doing things left handed is often due to the left eye being dominant. It runs in our family on Granddads side. My dad had difficulty using the Enfield bolt action rifle - having to shoot left handed - as I do as well. I'm a southpaw but I'm right handed. I deal cards left handed, as do most of my side of the family who are all right handed. 

Once at the table, I'm left handed. I was always in trouble for left-handed place settings! I blame grandma Kate who was also left-hand dominant. According to my father, his mother could hit a moving target (usually Ted, her husband) with a teapot, salt cellar or other object pitched with her left hand. Never missed.

@The Pianomani suppose that’s right what you’ve said, except a knife is sometimes needed for cutting meat.

I suppose playing tne piano can encourage a person to be ambidextrous as well ……?

3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

I eat with my fork in my right hand. As you use your fork for eating I maintain that I am correct - everyone else is wrong

I do too, so I agree with you. 

Having had a mum who was right-handed and dad who was left-handed I put it down to which ever taught me the relevant skill. I am quite comfortable using either hand for most things. Some better than others of course.

We are in a trivia team onboard ship for the daily trivia. A question the other day, If you are sinistral, what are you? One of our team got it straight away, left-handed, but nobody else knew it. You learn summat everyday!

19 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

My dad had difficulty using the Enfield bolt action rifle - having to shoot left handed - as I do as

The current L85 rifle used by the British Army cannot be used left handed. As it is of a design called bullpup the stock is very short which places the ejection port next to the cheek, albeit on the right hand side. If it was used left handed spent cartridges would be ejected into the left cheek, whereas on the right they eject away from the face

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks , yes it's  a pain being left handed , and some countries believe you to be evil , the only problem I found when writing is not being able to see the sentence you've just wrote , hence the line drooping downwards .