Being left handed had both advantages and disadvantages for me,in sport it was a definate advantage,but in many practical things was definate drawback,at school it was a nightmare when it came to woodwork and metalwork.

i would be interested to hear of other peoples experiences on being a KEGGIE !

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have mentioned before about my 'shaky left hand' (i am left handed) when writing,shaving,eating etc,(its called essential.tremor)......its only when i try to use it that it shakes......,Pills work f

Been practising my 'right handed writing.........seems funny using the 'right digits'....but certainly better than my 'shaky left'..........even shaved with right hand this morning.......was ok once i

They say that 'left handedness' is a sign of Genius...............

Now I realise why Piggy Roberts at school (Woodwork teacher and sadist) used to wrap me knuckles and cane me so much!

Dad used to say I was 'Cacky-handed'.

But I can't blame being left-handed for all me failures... I'm afraid. Hehe!

• Upvote 1

Strange thing is that both my kids are left handed. This has never been a disadvantage to them, as both have done well in life. a lot better than me !

No one in mine or their mother's family have ever been left handed.

I've always been left handed for writing, hammering, scratching myself, wiping pots etc, but if using a pair of scissors I can only use my right. Anyway, I was always told cack handed folk were more intelligent.

• Upvote 1

My dad was left handed (although I'm not). I remember him saying that when he was at school in the 1930s the teachers used to force him to use his right hand and not his left. It was seen as being wrong in the same way as swearing in class or attacking someone.

Fortunately things have advanced a bit since those days. It still amazes me that being left-handed could have been regarded as such a wrong thing.

I eat with my fork in my right hand. In my book that makes me right handed although everyone else might disagree. Everything else I do in the approved manner although a lot of things I can do ambidextrously - its just the way you think about things. It used to drive my dad bonkers if he saw me change hands swinging a hammer with my left hand because it was easier to hit whatever that way round.

I've always been most definitely right-handed except when holding a golf club or cricket bat. Having said that, when I had golf lessons many years ago, the Pro got me playing right-handed in no time so I'm an ambidextrous golfer, as well as being a useless one!

As long as it gives you enjoyment that's all that matters Lizzie.

I don't enjoy golf Basfordred, it was a case of 'if I can't beat 'em, join 'em' ('em being my husband and several friends). I haven't played for many years!!

Cheeky bu66er, I'll put a spell on you.

• Upvote 1

As a child I was totally ambidextrous and could write with both hands, but was eventually pressured into using one hand by the teachers at the time.

I used to play cricket both Left and Right handed and could kick a rugby ball with either foot, great for fooling the opposition at the time.

I now tend to favour my left hand to write with all the time, but I have arthritis in my right fingers and thumb ! I learn' t basic guitar and banjo right handed and can use most tools easily with both hands.

Maybe I'm an odd one :-)

• Upvote 1

I'm right-handed but bat left-handed at cricket. It just feels natural to do this but it's the only thing that I do left-handed. When I was at school I found it amusing to watch someone write left-handed, the way they held the pen and wrote the words just seemed funny. I was a kid at the time, don't forget...lol.

When I read the post from LizzieM (#13), I thought about the times when I'd play amateur football in my early teens. There would be lads coming to the dressing room with their football kit and asking if we were short of players. If we were then they'd play but if all our players had turned up then they'd just move on until they found a team to play for. Things are a little different now though.

How was woodworking or metal working a nightmare??? Planes, chisals etc are ambidextrous(sp) tools. Files can be used by lefties, many a time I've had to use files, half round scrapers etc in my left hand and I'm a righty.

As a tradesman, there have been many situations working in tight places in flameproof equipment I've had to use tools in my left hand.

No I'm not ambidextrous (sp) either, I cannot use a hammer and chisal left handed, I'd have no right hand left...LOL

it was nightmare,vice on the workbench was back to front for lefties,and what made it worse i was absolute CRAP at anything practical,icant knock a nail in straight even now,all the other lads were good at it.SO IT WAS A BLOODY NIGHTMARE! clever clogs ayupmeducks :)

I get the drift...LOL...

I had to get used to using both hands, many, many tight spaces in the equipment I had to maintain.

I'm also pretty good at woodworking, I would imagine a circular saw would be a pain to a leftie, but most other power tools are right/left and centre...LOL

Even large power tools like radial arm saws and table saws are right/left,

• Upvote 1

cant`t use my right hand or foot for love or money.... it annoys me when the computer mouse is situated on the right all the time , eg in libaries, airports etc , i have to unravel the lead to get it to the left, also signing in places at receptions . again on the right , i have to rearrange it so i can sign in , didn`t Hinder me in the least being a clever so and so lol

I love mine, great machine, highly dangerous if you're not paying attention to what you're doing..

Radial arm saw, that is..

• Upvote 1

cant`t use my right hand or foot for love or money.... it annoys me when the computer mouse is situated on the right all the time , eg in libaries, airports etc , i have to unravel the lead to get it to the left, also signing in places at receptions . again on the right , i have to rearrange it so i can sign in , didn`t Hinder me in the least being a clever so and so lol

Righties dont know they born do they Stevie 123, :biggrin:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Being left handed