Another left-hander here. I can do most things with both hands though, including write, (after an hour or two's practice to 'warm up'!).

I took part in an experiment to measure two-handed dexterity (sic) once. The idea was to try and determine whether left-handers were better at doing right-handed things better than right doing left. Got the top score in that of around 97/8% ability.. The experiment results suggested that when doing workaday tasks right and left-handers are fairly similar in capability. When it came to doing intricate tasks though, left-handers were better using their right hand then right-handers using their left.

Come on the left-handers!

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have mentioned before about my 'shaky left hand' (i am left handed) when writing,shaving,eating etc,(its called essential.tremor)......its only when i try to use it that it shakes......,Pills work f

Been practising my 'right handed writing.........seems funny using the 'right digits'....but certainly better than my 'shaky left'..........even shaved with right hand this morning.......was ok once i

They say that 'left handedness' is a sign of Genius...............

• 3 weeks later...

I read in yesterdays paper that parents at school were up in arms because the school were trying to get their kids to use a knife and fork properly,IE,fork in left hand. No wonder kids grow up with no manners.A SIMPLE THING like that,that should be taught at home anyway

• Upvote 1

My youngest daughter is left handed, but uses cutlery as a right handed person. The only reason I can think of is that I always set the table for right handed people. As a child I would put the pencils in front of her and allow her to pick them up with whichever hand she preferred, just never thought about it when setting the table.

Her teacher was very understanding, it was a small village school with only 26 pupils, and went on a course for teaching left handed children. One of the aids to help Jo was to give her a higher chair so that she didn't smudge her writing, which apparently is quite common as we write from left to right.

I don't understand this thing about it being "right" to use the fork in the left hand and wrong to use the right hand.

Who says it's wrong or right? Why is it wrong to use your fork in your right hand? Is there some legislation which prohibits it? Presumably society will crumble and there will be anarchy on the streets if someone dares to use a fork with the wrong hand.

Left hander's ? ........Minority, as one poster said, about 10%. Why should anything change to suit the minority ?

Seriously, both my kids are left handed and have never had any problem with it. It's all in the mind.

It was more of a problem in years past, as children were forced to conform to the norm of writing using their right hand, and often cruelly punished for being left handed. The main cause of many a stuttering child.

I have a pair of left handed scissors. I don't know how I acquired them but it's always a good laugh if any of the grandkids ask to use a pair of scissors and I give them the left handed ones.

Re #40 - quote from Michael Flanders and Donald Swann "Misalliance" (regarding the marriage of the right handed honeysuckle and the left handed bindweed) "Consider your off-shoots, if off-shoots there be; They'll never receive any blessing from me. Poor little sucker, how will it learn - this way, or that way, which way to turn? Right? Left? - what a disgrace - Or it may go straight up and fall flat on its face!"

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Sports and being right handed are interesting. Over here, a right handed ice hockey player holds their stick on the right as in cricket. In Canada and America, a rightie, holds their stick on the left so that the stronger hand is at the top rather than the control hand.

• 1 year later...

I have mentioned before about my 'shaky left hand' (i am left handed) when writing,shaving,eating etc,(its called essential.tremor)......its only when i try to use it that it shakes......,Pills work for so long then have no effect..............now doing a fair bit of writing with one of the jobs i do.......and must admit its a bit embarrassing at times.

Anyway been reading up on writing with the less dominant hand..........they reckon if you practice about 15 minutes a day after 1 to 2 months you get proficient,.............so from today thats what i'm doing,.........be interesting to find out..........also going to try shaving and eating with the right hand,......so if you come in Wethers in Bulwell and see a chap with face covered in 'Plasters'.........and throwing Garden Peas all over you'll know it has'nt worked';)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I have always eaten left handed, don't know why. Used to get moaned at for setting cutlery the wrong way round.

So, Ben, you could be ambidextrous shortly! Still, its better than being a hermaphrodite...except I don't think that term is pc any longer! :blink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Being left handed