Are set to rise in cases by up to 17%. Will this looney labour council ever learn that Joe Public does no have a bottomless pocket !

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Cost-bus-tickets-rise/story-20772697-detail/story.html

WPL..........Take the bus to work.

Nip in to town for some shopping...............Costs a fortune to park, Take the bus instead.

I can see where this is going, more & more fare increases to come, some one has to pay for new Tram extensions !

Yes, the fares are ridiculous.

They only went up last year and now they are doing it again.

It would seem that the tram system is the focus of everything.

They predicted that 14 million journeys would take place, but only 8 million did. So now they are putting the price of everything up: parking, the car levy (now over £300 a year), bus prices - I'm sure even the cost of tram journeys will ramp up too. Did nobody tell them about the recession?

The whole point about public transport is that it should be affordable.

It's for getting people to work and encouraging people to go into town to shop.

It's not supposed to be an 'earner'.

They are a 'looney' council because everything they do is to the detriment of folk in Nottingham.

Watch the city centre become a ghost town albeit with a lovely shiny tram system running through it.

• Upvote 2

Are you saying there is only one pound shop in Nottingham? ;):)

We have THREE here in Loughborough + TWO discount shops not to mention the FIFTEEN charity shops.

I understand that it is only "single" journey fares that are going up & other fares are not effected.(or have I got that wrong?)

Just an aside it does not matter to me as I have a bus pass. :)

I use my bus pass to come into Nottingham at least once a fortnight & I spend quite a bit when I'm there.

No bus pass, less journeys to Nottingham, less money spent in Nottingham.

You don't get a bus pass when you reach 60 now. It's all based on the age of women retiring. That means anyone who is sixty from now will not get one, won't bother going into town but will jump in the car and go to a retail park. As the existing bus pass holders get older they use them less - so less people going into town. The buses should be free to everyone if they want people to get out of their cars.

• Upvote 1

I, along with thousands of others avoid town centres like the plague for some of the reasons already mentioned. What is there now apart from rip off parking,rip off beer prices,and crap or closed down shops? I'll stay in the suburbs thanks.

In decent weather I take a walk (a painful but needed hobble-wobble) into the City, only a mile. Then catch the bus back.

Today I'll limp into the Homelink place in the Library for about 1200hrs, and check what Independent housing is available for me to bid for.

Not that I've any luck with any of me past bids at all, but yer never know.

Crossed fingers again. (Not easy with Arthur Itis wi me. Hehe)

TTFN

My wife's visit this week confirmed that you have the most arrogant nasty drivers (Every one of them) & expensive bus service.

She actually let him have it when he started yelling at her for not knowing how much the fare was.

• Upvote 2

In my experiences on the buses I've never come across a nasty, impolite driver, although I'm sure some of them might have a tendency to be off-hand, if they've got out of bed the wrong side .....

I used to drive buses. It is a public service job. Being impolite to passengers was never an option. We used to get some complete idiots but the really nice ones (especially the pretty girls) more than made up for it.

Are set to rise in cases by up to 17%. Will this looney labour council ever learn that Joe Public does no have a bottomless pocket !

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Cost-bus-tickets-rise/story-20772697-detail/story.html

WPL..........Take the bus to work.

Nip in to town for some shopping...............Costs a fortune to park, Take the bus instead.

I can see where this is going, more & more fare increases to come, some one has to pay for new Tram extensions !

Hate to throw the "spanner in the works" but actually NCT are a private company so I doubt the council has much influence over the level of fares. As I understand it only cash fares are rising so the best thing is to get an easyrider card, problem solved! Living out in the sticks I normally use TrentBarton, their drivers are the most polite and helpful I've known, streets ahead of NCT.

Fares in Nottingham aren't too bad compared with those in many other cities, a Kangaroo is £4 (£4.20 after the rise), the similar ticket in Derby is about £5.50 I think. :No1:

• Upvote 1

It's an 'earner'.

Since the 80's local councils now see themselves as businesses. They don't do the job that they are elected to do and don't give a single thought as to whether things are affordable or for the 'benefit' of people.

It's time there was a 'route and branch' investigation into the actions of local councils who do actually that think they can just keep pumping us for more and more money.

• Upvote 3

Living out in the sticks I normally use TrentBarton, their drivers are the most polite and helpful I've known, streets ahead of NCT.

Totally agree with this. I avoid NCT buses like the plague and regularly use the Trent Barton service in my area. Superb service from them, they are a credit to themselves. Shame they're not available to all.

It's an 'earner'.

Since the 80's local councils now see themselves as businesses. They don't do the job that they are elected to do and don't give a single thought as to whether things are affordable or for the 'benefit' of people.

It's time there was a 'route and branch' investigation into the actions of local councils who do actually that think they can just keep pumping us for more and more money.

This is an excellent answer.

I have hidden all the "off topic" posts - lets try to keep the discussion on-topic, and stop the unnecessary and inflammatory remarks.

Well, if we are talking about fares increases, you won't forget, will you, that in the late 50s and early 60s when the maximum fare was about 8d, any increase was likely to be 1d on all fares. So when a 3d went up to 4d that was a 33% increase (etc.) !

Totally agree with this. I avoid NCT buses like the plague and regularly use the Trent Barton service in my area. Superb service from them, they are a credit to themselves. Shame they're not available to all.

I use South Notts(NCT owned) to get into Nottingham at least twice a month & find the service very good & they generally run to time.

I also have used other NCT buses to get to places like Carlton & Arnold & found the service also very good

BUT as I have a bus pass I wont/can't comment on the fare issue.

I still think that generally speaking the fares are reasonable, I've paid far more for a poorer service on an old rattle trap in other towns and cities! But I stand by what I said about TrentBarton being much better than NCT, I would choose them whenever I can.

• Upvote 1